Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which is better - multiple degrees question
Academically speaking, is it better to have multiple degrees from different schools or is it acceptable to stick with the same school?  I ask because if you look in my sig block, I'm going to end up with three degrees from WGU, not sure how that would look when applying for doctorate programs.  Note that I might add a third masters degree in biology from Miami University: https://gfp.miamioh.edu/.  I don't need the biology degree for my career, it just looks like a really fun program and it isn't that expensive.
John L. Watson
Earned: WGU: BS-NOS (2019), WGU: MS-CSIA (2021)
Current Programs: UC: PhD in InfoSec (2025), AMA: DIT (2024), ENEB: MBA (2023)
Exam Priority: CEH (Practical), PMP, CISA, CISM
Future Plans: TBD - maybe an MS in Cannabis Science & Business, sounds like fun!
LinkedIn
Omni Transcript
Credly Badges
[-] The following 1 user Likes jamshid666's post:
  • Leedeedee
(10-10-2019, 11:49 AM)jamshid666 Wrote: Academically speaking, is it better to have multiple degrees from different schools or is it acceptable to stick with the same school?  I ask because if you look in my sig block, I'm going to end up with three degrees from WGU, not sure how that would look when applying for doctorate programs.  Note that I might add a third masters degree in biology from Miami University: https://gfp.miamioh.edu/.  I don't need the biology degree for my career, it just looks like a really fun program and it isn't that expensive.

Sorry I can't answer the question about multiple schools, but that Biology Masters degree at Miami looks awesome.  Quite tempted myself.
Achieved
BSBA - GM: TESU
BSc(Hons) Politics: University of Plymouth
GradCert in Computing: London Metropolitan University
Prince2 Certified
Lean Six Sigma Green Belt

In Progress
Certificate in Technology Leadership: Cornell University (free through employer)

Planned
Master in Public Administration: Marconi University
Certificate in Accounting: Cornell University
(10-10-2019, 12:30 PM)Leedeedee Wrote:
(10-10-2019, 11:49 AM)jamshid666 Wrote: Academically speaking, is it better to have multiple degrees from different schools or is it acceptable to stick with the same school?  I ask because if you look in my sig block, I'm going to end up with three degrees from WGU, not sure how that would look when applying for doctorate programs.  Note that I might add a third masters degree in biology from Miami University: https://gfp.miamioh.edu/.  I don't need the biology degree for my career, it just looks like a really fun program and it isn't that expensive.

Sorry I can't answer the question about multiple schools, but that Biology Masters degree at Miami looks awesome.  Quite tempted myself.

Yeah, sad thing is one of the reasons I want to enter that program is just to have the excuse to go to Australia.  I've been to five of the seven continents, I'm just missing Australia and Antarctica.
John L. Watson
Earned: WGU: BS-NOS (2019), WGU: MS-CSIA (2021)
Current Programs: UC: PhD in InfoSec (2025), AMA: DIT (2024), ENEB: MBA (2023)
Exam Priority: CEH (Practical), PMP, CISA, CISM
Future Plans: TBD - maybe an MS in Cannabis Science & Business, sounds like fun!
LinkedIn
Omni Transcript
Credly Badges
[-] The following 2 users Like jamshid666's post:
  • cookderosa, dewisant
Personal opinion: I would suspect that having degrees from different schools looks better, as it makes you seem more well rounded or more diversely experienced. Speaking for myself, as I've been involved in hiring decisions, if I was looking at a candidate from ...let's say College Station, Texas who had a Texas A&M undergrad and a Texas A&M master's ... I would wonder "Has that person ever left home? Have they had an insulated experience in life? Is it some indication that they're scared of taking risks or unwilling to try and adapt to different environments?"
Depending on the position, it would factor into my decision. Is it a dealbreaker? No. Would it raise a bunch of questions? Yes.
If a person had an online undergrad and online master's from the same school, I would similarly have questions of why they made that decision. If I saw two different schools, I wouldn't even think anything of it. Does it hurt you? Hard to say. Will it raise questions? It's possible. That's just one person's perspective.
Actual mileage may vary.
[-] The following 2 users Like ReyMysterioso's post:
  • allvia, jamshid666
Good schools don't like to hire their own graduates as professors because of academic inbreeding. They want an exchange of ideas. I guess that concept could be applied to non-academics. If you stay at the same school, you'll only see a limited number of perspectives. Traditional university departments tend to specialize in one area, so a student wouldn't get exposure to other specializations if he or she earned undergraduate and graduate degrees at the same school.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • jamshid666
I think different schools look better personally, unless it's all from a really good school
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

[-] The following 1 user Likes jsh1138's post:
  • jamshid666
Different schools, totally
BSBA: 70% completed (84 credits of 120)
But you'll also have a TESU degree it appears, so that could help with the perception some.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
I agree with everyone EXCEPT if you're trying to bury the distance learning elephant in the room. My employer was in Iowa while my grad school was in New York. Obviously I was not in 2 places at once.

That said, I don't list my education dates on my resume, so my resume makes more sense that way because I have 2 degrees from NJ (TESU) and 2 degrees from NY though they were VERY far apart.

I have also completely ignored my TESU degrees more than once and left them off. In my culinary bio that is linked to the university where I teach rec courses, my undergrad is from CIA and my grad degree is in Nutrition. (worded almost exactly like that)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Has anyone tried recognizing ENEB/UC1 or UoPeople degrees in Australia? ecdw94 4 309 03-25-2024, 09:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Country Preview : Graduate/Doctorate Degrees in Malaysia bjcheung77 11 2,355 01-13-2024, 11:34 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  masters in UX design or human computer interaction - MOOC question Sara143 7 637 01-04-2024, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Sara143
  Updated List of MOOC Bachelors/Masters degrees bjcheung77 3 2,042 09-26-2023, 08:57 PM
Last Post: mcjon77
  Question for Amberton University MAPD/Counseling students/grads Amberlinjeanne 3 682 06-21-2023, 11:17 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Assessing the International Equivalency/acceptance of Online Degrees from the Big 3 Aimed 10 1,472 05-02-2023, 06:15 AM
Last Post: faresayari
  Online MSc Degrees - University of Bath UK bjcheung77 1 517 04-12-2023, 04:26 PM
Last Post: learnforlife
  Anyone know anything about Arkansas State Online? Also have a question about doctorat Randyb100 7 1,165 03-15-2023, 09:01 PM
Last Post: siersema
  InformaConnect Masters Degrees freeloader 4 1,148 02-25-2023, 04:24 PM
Last Post: Life_One
  Question about ENEB Big Data Masters OTmina 3 1,117 02-17-2023, 08:05 PM
Last Post: BadSquirrelBeta