Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about course credit
Hi. I need your opinion on the best way to get credit for the college course "College Algebra" since it is requirement for my BS. I'm in my 40s with 18 years in IT but the last time I dealt with Math was more than 20 years go, so I'm looking for the easiest (and cheapest if possible) option. I'm aware of the CLEP/DSST route (difficult exams for me) and the other option would be to transfer credit after I complete the ASU EA MT117 course (https://ea.asu.edu/courses/college-algeb...-mat-117). The good thing is that they use ALEKS so I can isolate my weaknesses and you pay for credit ONLY if you pass the exam. The bad thing is the credit cost ($425) compared to CLEP/DSST option. But at this point I only want to get the credit in the easiest possible way. What do you thing about MT117? Is there another option to get the "College Algebra" credit for people without strong STEM background? Thanks.
Sophia has a College Algebra course which might be up your alley. The challenges and milestones are all open book, and the challenges build up nicely towards the milestones.
If you like the idea of using Aleks, you could consider just using them directly if your college accepts ACE evaluated courses for credit. Their College Algebra course is ACE evaluated for credit through 5/31/20. It's only $20/month so would be a much cheaper option. If you want to refresh your algebra skills first in order to work through the Aleks pie faster, Khan Academy is a great free resource.
[-] The following 2 users Like shadowgem's post:
  • allvia, Grinddude
My institution only accepts CLEP/DSST and regionally accredited college credit transfer (no ACE credit etc.). Does Sophia fall in this category?
(10-25-2019, 01:38 PM)Grinddude Wrote: My institution only accepts CLEP/DSST and regionally accredited college credit transfer (no ACE credit etc.). Does Sophia fall in this category?

No.  Sophia is ACE credit
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homeschool College Guidance Counselor Mom to twin 18 yo boys

CsmLearn
Study: US History, Pres Skills, Enviro Sci, Ethics America, Intro CJ, Meteorology, Forensic Sci, Criminology
Sophia: Psych, Visual Comms, Sociology, Eff Teams, Mng Conflict,  Anc Greek, Art History 1, Intro to IT,
Intro to Bus, Engl Comp 1&2, Religion, Conflict Reso, College Algebra, US History 2
TEEX: Death Invest
Coopersmith: Stress Mgmt, Therapeutic, Drugs & Society, Sport & Exercise, Psych of Motivation, Pos Psych, Career Coun
Community College: Comp Info Syst, A+ Hardware, A+ Op Syst, Linux Op Syst, Networks, Switching & Routing, Networking, IT Security
Computer Certs: Comp Tia A+

Planning for (2) Bachelors: BSLS 

(10-25-2019, 02:16 PM)TwinMom Wrote:
(10-25-2019, 01:38 PM)Grinddude Wrote: My institution only accepts CLEP/DSST and regionally accredited college credit transfer (no ACE credit etc.). Does Sophia fall in this category?

No.  Sophia is ACE credit

So I have to submit the Sophia credit to ACE for approval and then it will be transferred to the institution, if accepted, right? Also in this scenario will credit "laundering" apply? Will the transcripts show ACE or Sophia credit? The credit recipient will be FHSU. Thanks.
(10-25-2019, 03:14 PM)Grinddude Wrote: So I have to submit the Sophia credit to ACE for approval and then it will be transferred to the institution, if accepted, right? Also in this scenario will credit "laundering" apply? Will the transcripts show ACE or Sophia credit? The credit recipient will be FHSU. Thanks.

Any ACE credits show as transfer credits.  I think it shows as both ACE and Sophia.  If your school doesn't accept ACE, any discussion is pointless.
(10-25-2019, 04:20 PM)Old Guy Wrote:
(10-25-2019, 03:14 PM)Grinddude Wrote: So I have to submit the Sophia credit to ACE for approval and then it will be transferred to the institution, if accepted, right? Also in this scenario will credit "laundering" apply? Will the transcripts show ACE or Sophia credit? The credit recipient will be FHSU. Thanks.

Any ACE credits show as transfer credits.  I think it shows as both ACE and Sophia.  If your school doesn't accept ACE, any discussion is pointless.

I sent them an email about ACE but I'm not optimistic. In the scenario that ACE accredited courses are not an option for College Algebra, is there a cheaper/easier (compared to ASU/ALEKS) alternative online course from a regionally accredited college?
I can't recommend Sophia enough for college algebra.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

(10-25-2019, 07:19 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: I can't recommend Sophia enough for college algebra.
I like your suggestion but if my institution doesn't accept ACE credit courses for College Algebra which other options I have? I'm certain there are cheap community colleges that offer this course online.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,725 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 197 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 622 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
  RBA degree question Jennr2z 19 3,033 12-14-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
Question Extension Schools for Credit Transfer Tobutz 4 655 12-13-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Upper-level credit via XAMK, Metropolia or U of Helsinki jg_nuy 0 440 12-09-2023, 04:19 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Looking for cheap Dual Enrollment credit for homeschooled sister muu9 4 488 11-16-2023, 05:47 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  2D Cad/Technical Drawing Credit Eligible Courses flamewerks 0 313 10-17-2023, 02:15 PM
Last Post: flamewerks
  Question about BYU Independent Study Amberlinjeanne 4 1,225 09-05-2023, 06:47 PM
  Cheap-ish (Biblical) Hebrew and Greek credit rachel83az 7 594 08-22-2023, 03:40 PM
Last Post: Library2HospitalChaplain