Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Done MBA without a Bachelor's Degree 10 years ago & some employers still demand one
Thumbs Up 
Good morning!

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to read my post.

I am in a very strange situation.

I am grateful that I was given an opportunity by a well-known British university to do an MBA without a Bachelor's Degree almost 10 years ago.

How I got that opportunity is a different story. In a nutshell, they had an Admission "Prerequisite" which stated,

"A Bachelors degree from an accredited college or university or a degree from a recognised institution comparable and/or equivalent to a British Honours degree" *

* Applicants that do not directly meet the educational requirements will be evaluated on an individual basis."

I found myself to be fit into the latter category (i.e. the footnote) and just ran with it and after several months of deliberations, they granted me the precious opportunity. I graduated with a GPA of 3.50 three years later.

For the past almost 10 years, I never had a problem using my MBA here in the United States even with the Federal Government but recently, when I applied for a job, the employer wanted me to submit my Bachelor's Degree along-with my MBA transcripts. Of course, I told them that I don't have one.

That is beside the point of whether I will get that job or not but that definitely reminded me of lacking a Bachelor's Degree.

I have around 70 credits (lower and upper) and almost two decades of professional experience as well as an MBA from an AACSB-Accredited, EQUIS-Accredited, EFMD-CEL-Accredited British University. I was wondering which university (i.e. Thomas Eddison, Charter Oaks, The Excelsior) will be kind enough to grant me a Bachelor's Degree based upon what I have so far. I am leaning more towards Prior Learning Assessments (PLAs) than CLEPS, DATNES, etc.

Any advice, guidance or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time and have a great and productive day.

Smile
I think that's a first on this forum. Welcome!
If you don't actually need the Bachelor's, are you sure you want invest time and money?
The 70 credits are US credits? Do you happen to have an evaluation of the MBA by ECE/WES?
[-] The following 1 user Likes lacussucceed's post:
  • PositiveSoul
Yeah, I wouldn't bother getting a bachelors degree if I was in your situation. If you want to learn something new, sure, but just for employment why bother? You already have a higher degree. I can't imagine any employer passing on you for not having a bachelors.

Congrats, you pulled off quite the coup.
[-] The following 2 users Like midnighttoil's post:
  • cookderosa, PositiveSoul
Agree, I wouldn't go back and get a bachelor's degree- doing so now would prompt more questions than it answers. Frankly, you should be proud of your admission AND completion without an undergrad. That's a significant accomplishment, and if the potential employer doesn't understand the nuances of your situation and obvious accomplishments in the interim, they're going to be so "inside the lines" that you probably won't have any autonomy - maybe that's ok if you're a young kid getting rolling, but 10+ years experience post MBA? Don't waste your time.
I would say WGU would be your best bet to get through quickly, but I'm with everyone else - why would you want to work somewhere where they were morons and demanded a BA but didn't value your MBA + work experience??? I guarantee you that company is horrible to work at!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • PositiveSoul
I have heard about getting a MBA without a Bachelors, especially in UK and/or Canada. I even considered this route until I discovered the unique challenges of having a MBA without a Bachelors degree. One of the challenges, obtaining an additional master's degree from a US University, its highly unlikely a US University would grant admission without a prior Bachelors. Another challenge, Financial Aid, its a requirement to have a Bachelors degree even if someone already has a MBA, weird rules, I know. As you have discovered, employers requiring a Bachelors. While the majority of the forum community is recommending not to pursue a Bachelors degree, I am advising the opposite, IF these conditions are met.
1. You can afford to spend, $5K to $7K in tuition and exam costs.
2. You might need financial aid in the future, and/or you plan on obtaining an additional masters degree in the US
3. Your employer is demanding it and changing jobs would place a financial strain in your life.

While most of the time I would recommend a BALS because higher availability of accepting credits, in your case, I am going to recommend a BSBA because you already the business knowledge and experience to breeze pass the courses.
(11-03-2019, 07:27 PM)HogwartsSchool Wrote: Another challenge, Financial Aid, its a requirement to have a Bachelors degree even if someone already has a MBA, weird rules, I know.

2. You might need financial aid in the future, and/or you plan on obtaining an additional masters degree in the US

I don't understand what you're saying about financial aid here.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
  • PositiveSoul
(11-03-2019, 07:46 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 07:27 PM)HogwartsSchool Wrote: Another challenge, Financial Aid, its a requirement to have a Bachelors degree even if someone already has a MBA, weird rules, I know.

Example, suppose the OP wants to get a Master's in management from HES, the cost would be around $30k + (yes, I am aware it could be less through EDx courses). How does one pay for a master's degree that cost $30K +, with student loans from FAFSA for Graduate School (https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/types/loans...ofessional). The key element, you can't qualify for graduate student loans from FAFSA (Federal Student Aid Program), without having a bachelors degree. The only reason I am aware of the rules, I researched the issue heavily last year before deciding on a bachelors from TESU, before moving into a MBA.
(11-03-2019, 08:19 PM)HogwartsSchool Wrote:

Quote:Example, suppose the OP wants to get a Master's in management from HES, the cost would be around $30k + (yes, I am aware it could be less through EDx courses). How does one pay for a master's degree that cost $30K +, with student loans from FAFSA for Graduate School (https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/types/loans...ofessional). The key element, you can't qualify for graduate student loans from FAFSA (Federal Student Aid Program), without having a bachelors degree. The only reason I am aware of the rules, I researched the issue heavily last year before deciding on a bachelors from TESU, before moving into a MBA.

@HogwartsSchool,

Thank you for your kind feedback.

I am afraid I have no intention to go for another Master's.

Thankfully, for my MBA, I didn't apply for any Financial Aid nor I needed one.

I was just immensely grateful that I got the opportunity to do my MBA without having a Bachelor's Degree.

After my retirement, I might go for a Ph.D. (for personal development only) and I have an RA University here in the United States as well as the University I did my MBA from ready to give me admission but that's a project which I am not ready to undertake right now.

Take care and best regards,

Smile
(11-03-2019, 08:19 PM)HogwartsSchool Wrote:

Example, suppose the OP wants to get a Master's in management from HES, the cost would be around $30k + (yes, I am aware it could be less through EDx courses). How does one pay for a master's degree that cost $30K +, with student loans from FAFSA for Graduate School (https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/types/loans...ofessional). The key element, you can't qualify for graduate student loans from FAFSA (Federal Student Aid Program), without having a bachelors degree. The only reason I am aware of the rules, I researched the issue heavily last year before deciding on a bachelors from TESU, before moving into a MBA.

Ah, thanks for clarifying.

So if you have no intention of ever going back to school for another degree, or no intention of taking out loans for one (I don't think I've ever qualified in my life for grants through FAFSA, and I am certainly never taking out a student loan), then you don't need the Bachelor's.
  • PositiveSoul

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,452 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 482 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 435 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 251 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 770 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,178 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,701 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74
  Hypnotherapy + $30 course or $12,000 degree = Licensed "Medical" Profession nykorn 6 952 01-06-2024, 05:15 PM
Last Post: CenterSquarEd
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 617 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  These Rural Texans Opted Out of a Degree. This Community College Wants Them Back LevelUP 1 375 12-22-2023, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Avidreader