Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Promotion at work, thanks DegreeForum!
Big Grin 
I've been in my current role at my employer for under two years --- I think a year and 8 months? --- and today I just accepted a new offer with my company for a role that came with an approximate 30% increase (and large bonus potential on top of it; double my previous potential). This is obviously a huge bump! Way more than my last promotion, and in much shorter time than any other major promotion/job offer I've accepted.

I briefly met my manager-to-be once before in person (months ago), but the circumstances were not that I had an opportunity to impress her much. It was very much in passing. But before I even interviewed with her or spoke to her formally, she reached out to me and made it very clear that she was interested in me. So I can only think that it was my resume itself that made such an impression on her, and my guess is that my education was the kicker. Any past managers she would have reached out to certainly would have given me a glowing review, but I have no indication that she checked references before offering me an interview.

I am constantly amazed at how this forum, and everyone here who has helped me along the way, continues to have a lasting positive impact on my (and my family's!!) livelihood. 

I found this forum after I had basically given up on higher ed, and through it I've found an incredible passion in continuous learning and became involved in academia way more than I could have ever imagined -- now I'm constantly seeing the returns.

Thanks, friends.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 20 users Like jsd's post:
  • akr680, alab21, allvia, BreWoodsy, ChilliDawg, Clepper43, davewill, dfrecore, Life_One, Merlin, MrBossmanJr, MSK9, Muldoon, Murdockb, Nixi, nnahh, quigongene, sanantone, shadowgem, Zachcleigh
Hey JSD, Congrats

I am total agree with you (I found this forum after I had basically given up on higher ed, and through it I've found an incredible passion in continuous learning and became involved in academia way more than I could have ever imagined -- now I'm constantly seeing the returns.)

I also thanks for this forum. I have been 5 to 7 years that I did not pick up a book or thinking to get master degree. This forum helps me to motivate me and I am studying for master. I am more motivate than ever.
NEXT: Considering DBA, DIT or PhD
In Progress: MSU MBA
                   Master in Project Management, University Isabel I / ENEB
                   Master in Big Data and Business Intelligent, University Isabel I, ENEB

Completed: WGU MS-CIA 2022
TEEX: Cybersecurity 101 (4), Cybersecurity 201 (3), Cybersecurity 301 (3)
Sophia: Accounting (3), Project Management (3) Principles of Finance (3) 
Coursera: Google IT Certification, and Google Project Management.

[-] The following 2 users Like Imbanewbie's post:
  • akr680, alab21
Congrats! And I'm sure you can get that bonus Smile

Congrats, JSD! I’m hoping to have the same success as you after I graduate, but it’s always important to keep learning so that we can progress and succeed. I wish you the best with this promotion!
TESU September 2020 Graduate
Bachelor of Arts  in Liberal Studies with a concentration in Social Sciences

Sophia (3); Institutes (3); TEEX (21); CSM (3); CLEP (12); SL (45); InstantCert (6)Study (21) TESU (6)
Nice, you deserve it. Thanks for all the help you have provided me and the rest of this community.
Georgia Institute of Technology: MS in Analytics (3/32 Credits)
Boston University: MS in Software Development
Thomas Edison State University: BA in Liberal Studies
Grats, jsd!
Doctor of Medicine candidate (MD) - anticipated complete '24
Awesome! Congrats, you deserve it.
Western Governor's University
MSCSIA - Completed 2020.  Program completed in 8 months.
Cybersecurity Scholarship Recipient
Thomas Edison State University
B.A.L.S 2019 
ASNSM - Computer Science - 2018 
Pierpont College
Board of Governor's AAS, AOE Information Systems - 2017

(11-07-2019, 12:31 AM)jsd Wrote: I've been in my current role at my employer for under two years --- I think a year and 8 months? --- and today I just accepted a new offer with my company for a role that came with an approximate 30% increase (and large bonus potential on top of it; double my previous potential). This is obviously a huge bump! Way more than my last promotion, and in much shorter time than any other major promotion/job offer I've accepted.

I briefly met my manager-to-be once before in person (months ago), but the circumstances were not that I had an opportunity to impress her much. It was very much in passing. But before I even interviewed with her or spoke to her formally, she reached out to me and made it very clear that she was interested in me. So I can only think that it was my resume itself that made such an impression on her, and my guess is that my education was the kicker. Any past managers she would have reached out to certainly would have given me a glowing review, but I have no indication that she checked references before offering me an interview.

I am constantly amazed at how this forum, and everyone here who has helped me along the way, continues to have a lasting positive impact on my (and my family's!!) livelihood. 

I found this forum after I had basically given up on higher ed, and through it I've found an incredible passion in continuous learning and became involved in academia way more than I could have ever imagined -- now I'm constantly seeing the returns.

Thanks, friends.

I'm so proud of you Wink congratulations!!
Congratulations!! Very happy for you.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
Congrats and keep the updates coming for the program...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why is DegreeForum so SLOW lately? dfrecore 64 3,692 02-21-2024, 02:39 PM
Last Post: housecat
  What career move would you make? FAANG Contract or steady work mohelena02 21 2,069 02-08-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Advice needed, making time for uni work. Personherebb9 14 1,103 06-11-2023, 03:11 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Great Resignation - Better Balance of Life & Work? bjcheung77 5 979 01-30-2022, 08:17 PM
Last Post: uncapentin
  Dream Job Alert! Work From Home & Unlimied Vacation?! bjcheung77 4 1,204 08-01-2021, 09:41 PM
Last Post: Vonne
  DegreeForum LinkedIn Networking ashkir 16 1,953 05-20-2021, 03:34 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  DegreeForum having issues? bjcheung77 4 777 05-15-2021, 07:13 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  DegreeForum security ashkir 3 798 02-15-2021, 06:23 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  Question: DegreeForum Investment bjcheung77 3 1,089 06-06-2020, 07:34 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  College degree required to work at a factory? sanantone 1 1,430 12-11-2019, 05:51 PM
Last Post: CatsDomino