Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
intro to computers study.com Excelsior
Hi,                                                                              According to study.com, the business 109: intro to computers will fulfill the computers requirement for my business degree... https://study.com/academy/popular/excels...dycom.html. The only problem is, I just completed all of the quizes and I was about to take the final exam, but before I did, I called Excelsior to confirm that it would fill that requirement.  Much to my surprise, my advisor told me that it will not count towards the computer requirement.  Has anyone ever used this course to fulfill this requirement?  I know I should've called to confirm prior to taking the course, I just assumed I was good based on the study.com information.  Should I try and request an exception?  Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Ask Excelsior about Business 104: Information Systems and Computer Applications (Study.com).

I'm pretty sure at least part of your quiz progress will be shared among the courses.
(11-14-2019, 05:48 PM)dfwdegree Wrote: Hi,                                                                              According to study.com, the business 109: intro to computers will fulfill the computers requirement for my business degree... https://study.com/academy/popular/excels...dycom.html. The only problem is, I just completed all of the quizes and I was about to take the final exam, but before I did, I called Excelsior to confirm that it would fill that requirement.  Much to my surprise, my advisor told me that it will not count towards the computer requirement.  Has anyone ever used this course to fulfill this requirement?  I know I should've called to confirm prior to taking the course, I just assumed I was good based on the study.com information.  Should I try and request an exception?  Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
One of the reasons I excluded Excelsior as an option for my boys is because they do not accept ANY Study computer courses for transfer. I emailed Excelsior to ask and they confirmed it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homeschool College Guidance Counselor Mom to twin 18 yo boys

CsmLearn
Study: US History, Pres Skills, Enviro Sci, Ethics America, Intro CJ, Meteorology, Forensic Sci, Criminology
Sophia: Psych, Visual Comms, Sociology, Eff Teams, Mng Conflict,  Anc Greek, Art History 1, Intro to IT,
Intro to Bus, Engl Comp 1&2, Religion, Conflict Reso, College Algebra, US History 2
TEEX: Death Invest
Coopersmith: Stress Mgmt, Therapeutic, Drugs & Society, Sport & Exercise, Psych of Motivation, Pos Psych, Career Coun
Community College: Comp Info Syst, A+ Hardware, A+ Op Syst, Linux Op Syst, Networks, Switching & Routing, Networking, IT Security
Computer Certs: Comp Tia A+

Planning for (2) Bachelors: BSLS 

If they don't take the Business 109, try the Business 104. Email Excelsior back and verify as the link you have shows that requirement is met. Another option is to show them the transfer link on Study.com showing the Business 104 will meet the computer requirement - https://study.com/college/school/excelsior-college.html
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(11-14-2019, 07:59 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: If they don't take the Business 109, try the Business 104.  Email Excelsior back and verify as the link you have shows that requirement is met.  Another option is to show them the transfer link on Study.com showing the Business 104 will meet the computer requirement - https://study.com/college/school/excelsior-college.html
Thanks for the replies.  I called and spoke to a different academic advisor, and they dug deeper and said they would accept business 104.  She also said that business 109 has been reviewed by ace but not by Excelsior.  Someone from Excelsior will review the course tomorrow and, will determine if the content meets the expected learning objectives for their computer requirement.  She said based on what she sees it should be approved, but I won't know until tomorrow.  I'll keep everyone posted for future reference. 

By the way, the primary reason I decided on business 109 was because it has 26 fewer quizes.  My study.com membership resets on 11/18, and I wanted to knock out that course, in addition to Intro to World Religion.
I just heard back from Excelsior and business 109 was approved! Here's what they said:

"After some additional discussion and research we will allow the Business 109: Intro to Computing course from Study.com to meet your computer requirement.

Going forward please make it a point to get advisor approval prior to taking credits outside of Excelsior College. At times ACE and NCCRS organizations may not list our up to date degree information."
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfwdegree's post:
  • suzycupcake
(11-15-2019, 10:33 AM)dfwdegree Wrote: I just heard back from Excelsior and business 109 was approved!  Here's what they said:

"After some additional discussion and research we will allow the Business 109: Intro to Computing course from Study.com to meet your computer requirement.

Going forward please make it a point to get advisor approval prior to taking credits outside of Excelsior College.  At times ACE and NCCRS organizations may not list our up to date degree information."

Ummm...ACE and NCCRS will not list ANY of their degree information. Ever.  Because that's not what they do.  They evaluate courses from alternative credit providers and others, NOT schools or their degrees.  That's just a strange answer, and it sounds like the person who wrote it isn't familiar with any of this.  Especially not taking Study.com courses, which is not at all true.

Study.com is an Excelsior College PARTNER SCHOOL!!!! From EC's website: https://www.excelsior.edu/partner/study-com/

Who is eligible for partnership benefits?
Students who have completed at least two Study.com courses are eligible for partnership benefits at Excelsior College.

And here's the transfer page from Study.com's website: https://study.com/directory/school/Excelsior_College.html#transferTab
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(11-15-2019, 11:22 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(11-15-2019, 10:33 AM)dfwdegree Wrote: ...
Going forward please make it a point to get advisor approval prior to taking credits outside of Excelsior College.  At times ACE and NCCRS organizations may not list our up to date degree information."

Ummm...ACE and NCCRS will not list ANY of their degree information. Ever.  Because that's not what they do.  They evaluate courses from alternative credit providers and others, NOT schools or their degrees.  That's just a strange answer, and it sounds like the person who wrote it isn't familiar with any of this.  Especially not taking Study.com courses, which is not at all true.

Study.com is an Excelsior College PARTNER SCHOOL!!!! From EC's website: https://www.excelsior.edu/partner/study-com/

Who is eligible for partnership benefits?
Students who have completed at least two Study.com courses are eligible for partnership benefits at Excelsior College.

And here's the transfer page from Study.com's website: https://study.com/directory/school/Excelsior_College.html#transferTab

They meant: not all alternative credit providers keep their online degree plans up to date with our policy / degree requirements.
Hey just to confirm, Study.com grades show up on Excelsior transcripts as pass/no-pass, right? Letter grades dont matter on Study.com courses?

Bachelor of Science: Liberal Arts from Excelsior
Completion by Dec 2019

AP: US History(6), Spanish Language (8), Spanish Literature (9), Macroeconomics (3) - 26/120
1 Year of UC education (21) - 47/120
Misc community college Italian(10), Spanish (10) - (28) - 75/120
CLEP: College Algebra(3) - 78/120
Davar Info Lit (3) - 81/120
Uexcel Bus Ethics (3) - 84/120
ACTFL OPI Portuguese (9ll) - 93/120
ACTFL WPT Spanish (1UL) - 94/120 (lol I got a total of 28 spanish credits on my transcript)
EXcelsior Courses all UL: Bus 425(3), Bus 435(3), Bus 351(3), Bus 480(3), His 353(3), His 350(3), Pol 353(3) - 115/120

In progress:
Study.com - Eng 303(3UL), His 306(3UL)
Excelsior: Liberal Arts Capstone

PM Me for Current Study.com referral codes.

(12-22-2019, 12:54 AM)jplot002 Wrote: Hey just to confirm, Study.com grades show up on Excelsior transcripts as pass/no-pass, right? Letter grades dont matter on Study.com courses?

That's right, Study.com courses come as pass/fail. Anything over 70% is a pass for any ACE/NCCRS alternative credit.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 39,364 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,490 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,748 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 607 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 327 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 969 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,815 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 552 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Study Managerial Accounting that Transfers to UMPI Indieblue 0 279 01-25-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Indieblue
  Study.com vs Sophia - Time to complete RachelB 2 684 01-05-2024, 01:20 PM