Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Competency-based BS CS program from a globally ranked university
Greetings from Melbourne!

I am looking for a competency-based BS CS degree. My goal is to get entry into the MS CS program at University of Melbourne. They explicitly mentions that during application review they will look at the ranking of the institution granting the applicant’s bachelor degree on ARWU and Times Higher Education global ranking lists (if that institution is not Australian-based).

An alternative option for me would be doing a traditional bachelor at an Australian-based institution, but that will take 3 years which is too long for me (I want to optimize for time). 

A little about my background: I don’t have any tertiary degree but have more than 5 years of experience working as a software engineer. This is the main reason I prefer a competency-based bachelor degree because I can utilize my existing knowledge to accelerate the program. I hope to earn a bachelor within one year.

So far the only university I found that satisfies the criteria and accepts international students is NAU. It is ranked in the two above-mentioned ranking lists, even though the rank is not very high (501 - 600). The program is not exactly BS CS, but a BS in Computer Information Technology:

https://nau.edu/online/bs-computer-information-technology-pl

If you know other BS CS (or IT-related) programs please let me know. Thank you!
[-] The following 1 user Likes npvn's post:
  • akr680
(11-17-2019, 12:52 PM)npvn Wrote: Greetings from Melbourne!

I am looking for a competency-based BS CS degree. My goal is to get entry into the MS CS program at University of Melbourne. They explicitly mentions that during application review they will look at the ranking of the institution granting the applicant’s bachelor degree on ARWU and Times Higher Education global ranking lists (if that institution is not Australian-based).

An alternative option for me would be doing a traditional bachelor at an Australian-based institution, but that will take 3 years which is too long for me (I want to optimize for time).

A little about my background: I don’t have any tertiary degree but have more than 5 years of experience working as a software engineer. This is the main reason I prefer a competency-based bachelor degree because I can utilize my existing knowledge to accelerate the program. I hope to earn a bachelor within one year.

So far the only university I found that satisfies the criteria and accepts international students is NAU. It is ranked in the two above-mentioned ranking lists, even though the rank is not very high (501 - 600). The program is not exactly BS CS, but a BS in Computer Information Technology:

https://nau.edu/online/bs-computer-infor...hnology-pl

If you know other BS CS (or IT-related) programs please let me know. Thank you!

If you're only looking at competency-based online degrees, I'm afraid you'll find that most of them are not going to be coming from highly ranked schools. At least not yet. You can complete all but two of the courses required for the TESU BACS using a competency-based approach, but I doubt that TESU is any better rated than NAU. I would recommend WGU, but since you're not in the US they aren't an option for you (and they are also not highly rated.)

If you need a highly-rated school, you'll probably need to look at more traditional programs.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • MrBossmanJr
Thanks for your answer. In my case a bachelor degree from a highly ranked university should be extremely helpful, but I think as long as the institution is listed in ARWU and/or Times Higher Education’s ranking lists that should be enough.

So far I have only found NAU and University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee satisfying the criteria, but the latter doesn’t accept international students Sad
Brandman University also has Computer Information Technology program.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
------------------

Information technology is somewhat far from CS, plus you only have 1 option according to your criteria.

If getting that specific MS is really your goal, maybe you should reevaluate the idea of doing a competency based program in the US. I don’t feel you are setting yourself for success

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
WGU MS ITM, 2021.
TESU BACS, 2020.
TESU BSBA, 2018.
TESU ASNSM in Computer Science, 2018.
----
UPenn MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing, see story here).
NAU MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing)
----
This is not self-paced, but this is probably the closest you'll get.

https://www.coursera.org/degrees/bachelo...nce-london
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 2 users Like sanantone's post:
  • davewill, shadowgem
@sanantone hit the nail on the head. @novn University of London is your best bet. Well respected worldwide and globally ranked.

The program isnt that bad either you can choose to specalize in a particular area like Machine Learning or Physical Computing plus its UK based so you dont have to do any general education courses within the program unlike those in the US which is good or bad depending in your perpective.

The admissions requirements are a bit involved so you'll have to check that out.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

Competency-based and highly-ranked are not 2 terms that generally go together. Fast and highly-ranked either. You can have one or the other.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Just because U of Melbourne is Australia's top university, do you have to take your Masters there? Have you thought about doing a US Bachelors and laddering up to a US Masters with a Top Ranked US School instead? What is your end goal? Are you going to be traveling or moving overseas any time soon?

My recommendation would be different. There are a few programs that can be done fast at the undergrad level, such as doing a TESU BACS and then getting a Georgia Tech MSCS. The main benefit is affordability/ease/speed and value to that would be, it's "more" recognized in a sense than just usable in Australia.

Let's take a sample look: You take NAU at $3000/6 month term, but it takes you 2 years. That's $12K USD. When you get into U of Melbourne, their program is $50K USD for the two years. Total $62K USD and it will take 4 years. The ranking of U of Melbourne vs Georgia Tech is almost the same globally on Times Higher Ed.

Now, if you take the TESU BACS, you can probably finish this in a year at less than $10K. The Georgia Tech MSCS can be done for about $10K as well in 2 years, you have that for $20K and you can use the extra money for another Masters or Graduate Certificate to further specialize in ABC or XYZ (AI or Software Engineering, whatever floats your boat).
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Leedeedee
(11-17-2019, 09:13 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: ...
Let's take a sample look:  You take NAU at $3000/6 month term, but it takes you 2 years.  That's $12K USD.  When you get into U of Melbourne, their program is $50K USD for the two years.  Total $62K USD and it will take 4 years.  The ranking of U of Melbourne vs Georgia Tech is almost the same globally on Times Higher Ed.

Now, if you take the TESU BACS, you can probably finish this in a year at less than $10K.  The Georgia Tech MSCS can be done for about $10K as well in 2 years, you have that for $20K and you can use the extra money for another Masters or Graduate Certificate to further specialize in ABC or XYZ (AI or Software Engineering, whatever floats your boat).

If you assume his experience will allow him to do NAU in a year (as he said), then it's actually cheaper than TESU, plus it's ranked, so he can try for his first choice, U of Melbourne and consider a program like GT OMSCS as a secondary plan. The only rub I see is that nobody here (to my knowledge) has actually DONE the NAU program so we can't give him direct pointers. However, I'm sure there's an online community out there of people in the NAU program which he should definitely tap into before choosing it.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Prompt Engineering Course by Vanderbilt University on Coursera LevelUP 2 230 03-23-2024, 05:28 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,624 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,564 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  American Public University? nomaduser 33 2,942 03-14-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 605 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of Idaho acquiring University of Phoenix bjcheung77 10 1,246 03-04-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,618 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  LLB University of London Online newdegree 1 353 02-28-2024, 01:46 PM
Last Post: freeloader
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 483 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Metropolia University Common Problems Resolved mariobros1985 21 2,495 02-24-2024, 06:39 AM
Last Post: therightstuff