Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Computer Science degree?
(02-26-2020, 11:57 PM)davewill Wrote: As someone who had a long software career without a degree, and now has one, I'd say the difference is more in WHERE you will find work. An engineer without a degree will find difficulty getting hired by companies like Intel or Google or Qualcomm. They may also have trouble with certain segments like government contracting. I found myself working for small companies (<200 employees) before I got my degree.

I agree with most of this. Particularly as it applies to government and some larger companies. However, this isn't necessarily accurate for companies like Google, Facebook, and other mega startups. While this certainly used to be the status quo, it has been changing over the last few years. These companies now hire based on capabilities and not on academic background. Your success in getting to an offer depends more on your ability to pass the coding tests and behavioral interviews than pretty much anything else. So as long as you can get past the initial screening, it all comes down to how well you can demonstrate your intellect, problem-solving ability, and when, where, and how to apply your understanding of data structures and algorithms.

This change is actually pretty interesting since you'll find (at least in the San Francisco/Silicon Valley area) that many of the startups have become super focused on only hiring from the best schools while the big companies have moved away from that approach. This is nearly a 180-degree swap from the situation 5 years ago.

(02-26-2020, 11:57 PM)davewill Wrote: As far as the difference between someplace like Virginia Tech and TESU, it's safe to say that VT has much better name recognition, and would play much better, especially to large companies in the region. Going to a school like VT will also afford the student the chance to intern while still in school. After you have a few years of experience the difference may not be important, but it will make a difference in the beginning.

This is spot on. In addition to the benefits davewill mentioned, you will also have a better chance to make strong connections to your faculty and other students that could pay off in the future. Those contacts could be handy for future job searches and things like academic recommendations if you decide to attend graduate school in the future. Schools like TESU (or WGU, or any of the big 3) are focused mainly on working adults who are going back to school to complete a degree. As a side effect of this focus, there is very little interaction with others, so you're much less likely to make any significant contacts.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AP Computer Science A homeschoolmom1 7 210 03-20-2024, 08:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,457 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 176 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 482 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Offspring and Descendents Lead Singers On Why They Got Science PhDs Jonathan Whatley 9 1,204 02-16-2024, 10:37 PM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 436 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 251 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  Introductory data science courses inor 6 509 02-08-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 771 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,179 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM