Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC....Is there a secret....
....to getting the professor of your online class to answer you when you e-mail them? I've e-mailed my professor twice, it's been 4-5 days and no answer. I put all the right stuff in the subject line (My name, date, TESC, course name) but no answer. It's very exasperating. And her "office hours" are one hour on Monday nights and one hour on Thursday nights. So just don't plan to have any questions between those days, I guess. Rolleyes Rolleyes
If you cannot get your mentor to respond to you, you should send an e-mail to mentors@tesc.edu and explain your problem. However, give all other avenues your best shot first as this can be translated to "going over the mentor's head." Of course, when you are paying for a service you expect response, so once you have exhausted all other possibilities, that's the way to go.
[SIZE="6"]Pattie[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]CLEP:
[SIZE="1"]English Comp 101 & 102 - Analysis & Interpretation of Literature 130 & 131 - Intro to Marketing[/SIZE]
TECEP:
[SIZE="1"]Marketing Comm - PR Thought & Practice - Intro to News Reporting - Sales Management - Operations Management - Marketing Research - Business in Society[/SIZE]
DSST:
[SIZE="1"]Intro to Computers[/SIZE]
FEMA:
[SIZE="1"]12 FREE Credits![/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
Associate of Science in Management, TESC - 9/17/04
Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, TESC - 6/6/08

Smile
studyhard Wrote:....to getting the professor of your online class to answer you when you e-mail them? I've e-mailed my professor twice, it's been 4-5 days and no answer. I put all the right stuff in the subject line (My name, date, TESC, course name) but no answer. It's very exasperating. And her "office hours" are one hour on Monday nights and one hour on Thursday nights. So just don't plan to have any questions between those days, I guess. Rolleyes Rolleyes
I here ya screamin. I totally agree, I just went through this w/my professor at U of Idaho and I dropped the course. He called me back and apologized which shocked me to tell you the truth. I sent a welcome, a little bit about me e-mail, and then my 2 assignments, 1 on one day, the second the next. A week later, I still didn't here a word so I contacted the Independent Study office and explained my situation and dropped. They said professors don't send e-mails confirming receipt of lessons, and they have three weeks to answer. I asked them what kind of crap was that, I'm taking a 400 level class that has a ton of writing and I am supposed to wait possibly three weeks for a reply and I don't even know if he rec'd the assignment. He actually called, and apologized and admitted that they sometimes forget what they went through to get where they are, which I appreciated. Anyway, I'm back and he's answering quickly. The moral to the story is..... don't get your hopes up w/your professor. I don't know if this is a Jersey thing or what (and I live in Jersey), but since when did TESC staff (spelled staph) get put in a crystal palace. She may have a good excuse but I stand by all my past posts about TESC and their service. It sucks! They are ONLY about $$$$. If you saw where they are located you might understand the attitude. You probably already know the NJ state slogan... New Jersey, Yo, What are you lookin at? Just got off midnight shift and felt like rattlin, anyway, good luck. One last thing.....maybe you should try to put all the WRONG info in the subject line, sounds like you may be an overachiever. G'nite
studyhard Wrote:....to getting the professor of your online class to answer you when you e-mail them? I've e-mailed my professor twice, it's been 4-5 days and no answer. I put all the right stuff in the subject line (My name, date, TESC, course name) but no answer. It's very exasperating. And her "office hours" are one hour on Monday nights and one hour on Thursday nights. So just don't plan to have any questions between those days, I guess. Rolleyes Rolleyes
>>

Twice have I tried to call my biology teacher this semester, and he wasn't in his office during "office hours" so I left him messages. Then, I sent him 2 emails. Not a single reply. So, I also posted the question in our classroom lounge and he didn't reply- since we have moved on to a new module I let it go.....Yeah, unreachable. I don't know if it is a coincidence or not, but ever since he started ignoring me, he only gives me 100% on my homework assignments. Hummmm...
This is not the first teacher to give me perfect scores with no feedback (it's actually my 7th out of 9) my only possible conclusion is that I must be brilliant :p I wish I had known earlier!
cookderosa Wrote:>>

Twice have I tried to call my biology teacher this semester, and he wasn't in his office during "office hours" so I left him messages. Then, I sent him 2 emails. Not a single reply. So, I also posted the question in our classroom lounge and he didn't reply- since we have moved on to a new module I let it go.....Yeah, unreachable. I don't know if it is a coincidence or not, but ever since he started ignoring me, he only gives me 100% on my homework assignments. Hummmm...
This is not the first teacher to give me perfect scores with no feedback (it's actually my 7th out of 9) my only possible conclusion is that I must be brilliant :p I wish I had known earlier!
The professor asked Jennifer, " Can you give me a good example of how heat expands things and cold contracts them?"
"Well," Jennifer answered, "the days are much longer in summer.'' Excellent said the TESC professor, you get an "A"
I here what you are saying, but have you done any evaluations of your professors on ratemyprofessor.com or even the official or unofficial TESC sites. I am lucky enough to have a mentor who responds to all emails or assignments within a week. I would definitly want to know beforehand if a mentor was known not to respond. We need to help each other out here so when we sign up for classes we know who to avoid. I don't think I could continue to put the effort into a class if I didn't have any feedback.
Linda
Gary Wrote:The professor asked Jennifer, " Can you give me a good example of how heat expands things and cold contracts them?"
"Well," Jennifer answered, "the days are much longer in summer.'' Excellent said the TESC professor, you get an "A"
>>

...minus the "excellent" comment and you hit the nail on the head! Besides, everyone knows it's because of global warming.
Lindagerr Wrote:I here what you are saying, but have you done any evaluations of your professors on ratemyprofessor.com or even the official or unofficial TESC sites. I am lucky enough to have a mentor who responds to all emails or assignments within a week. I would definitly want to know beforehand if a mentor was known not to respond. We need to help each other out here so when we sign up for classes we know who to avoid. I don't think I could continue to put the effort into a class if I didn't have any feedback.
Linda
>>

It's not so simple. When you register, you may have a choice of mentor if your class is a very common 100 or 200 level (like English comp, microeconomics, or intro to psych) but everything else is "take it or leave it" offered only in one section. Since I tested out of nearly all of my 100 and 200 (like most everyone here), you may not have the option of simply choosing another mentor or not continuing. This is what I have to do to "check the box" and I'll happily collect my A's along the way. I wouldn't drop a class (lost $$$$, lost time, loose my financial aid, return the books, etc) because my teacher gave me too high of a grade, that's just crazy talk!:eek:
LOL, thanks for letting me know I'm not alone! I appreciate the feedback.

Gary, the NJ "state slogan" absolutely made me howl. I live in the South but have spent about ten years living in New England and I know how things are in NJ.

And yeah, I do have leanings toward being an overachiever. Big Grin

Thanks everybody!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,582 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
Question Psych electives for TESC Psych degree KatePsychology 4 1,418 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Help with Academic Eval TESC jayboy 8 2,157 02-01-2018, 02:46 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Newbie looking for a roadmap for TESC associate degree in computer science nevsage 6 3,955 01-04-2018, 11:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  ajs1976 TESC BSBA accountability thread ajs1976 41 10,292 01-02-2018, 11:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UExcel Business Information Systems TESC Equivalency laughter 4 1,743 11-09-2017, 11:47 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  What Masters programs are a good fit to transfer to from TESC? Doctor H 9 2,699 09-23-2017, 12:01 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Think I'm Going For Associate in Arts (general studies) at TESC RA808 110 11,145 08-28-2017, 05:17 PM
Last Post: RA808
  TESC Liberal Arts Capstone Review hornj 13 6,774 08-10-2017, 07:50 PM
Last Post: mabby
  TESC BA Psychology lovewins 5 1,944 07-09-2017, 08:30 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77