Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions re: ethics and computer network retraining
Years ago, before the last recession, I was doing network and database administration during which I setup a VPN for the company. Due to what is going on with the current quaranting my main source of income has been cut off. I was contacted by a major staffing agency I have worked for in the past, and they are offering $30/hr (average salary here is $47,413 a year with about 17.9% living in poverty) to have me do some temp work for them by setting up VPNs, wireless home set up, laptop imaging with laptop set up, and remote access set up. The thing is, I have not done network/database administration in years, and cannot recall much about how I setup the VPN. I also worry about ethics involved in this since I volunteer many days each week with high-risk populations (i.e. homeless women experiencing sexual exploitation) and the clients through the temp agency are likely to be wealthier but older and well-traveled business owners etc. Even if I don't volunteer, the people I live with still would be. Both the business owners and the non-profit clients need help though. I have been told the work would only last over the next week or so. However, this could be a good opportunity to re-enter back into the main workforce after effectively being ousted during the great recession (I was young and quit at the wrong time - after which finding good and reliable work was difficult). Additionally, in the midst of all this, our Mayor has declared us to be in a state of emergency and mentioned calling in FEMA... which I believe I am on the reservists list for.

With that in mind, what are everyone's thoughts on the ethics of this situation?

If I do take the work, what study resources would give me the best chance of getting caught up on how to setup VPNs, remote access, disk imaging etc?
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
Why don't you hire some one to do the setups? Keep the money and learn.
I am in the networking world and me and my buddy who is a CCIE deploys VPN every day. PM me if you are interested and we can do it for you.
This is through a well known temp agency, so that would not work. They stay in contact with the clients to make sure you are doing the work, and then the client must sign your timesheet at the end of the week that has your name on it.

I decided not to take the opportunity. The nonprofit clients need help more and passing germs around potentially just weighed too much on my mind.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The complicated, behind the scenes setup for American Pie's computer scene upgrayedd 0 427 11-09-2022, 11:58 PM
Last Post: upgrayedd
  MASTER |OF SCIENCE IN COMPUTER SCIENCE | Liverfool John Moores University akr680 0 784 08-18-2021, 05:37 PM
Last Post: akr680
  FREE Udemy - PMP 2020 Practice tests - 6th Edition - 600 questions bjcheung77 2 1,165 01-03-2020, 11:28 AM
Last Post: doom
  FREE Udemy - PMP Practice tests 6th Edition - 500 questions+explanations bjcheung77 7 1,723 12-03-2019, 03:49 PM
Last Post: allvia
  off topic- computer suggestion cookderosa 9 1,805 08-11-2018, 10:00 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Weird interview questions Sparklette 10 2,407 03-23-2018, 01:45 PM
Last Post: Sparklette
  Ethics of listing degree(s) on resume Thorne 15 5,278 01-02-2018, 10:34 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  This site now looks like an old school BBS on my computer. ELSADDIQ 6 2,624 08-03-2017, 08:10 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Desktop died, not sure what to do about computer Brian12 20 3,141 04-01-2017, 08:50 PM
Last Post: TrailRunr
  Can someone PLEASE help me with this computer specs issue?! soliloquy 10 1,917 01-02-2016, 04:16 PM
Last Post: homebrilliance