Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EC Business Degree Questions
Okay, I am studying the EC handbook and I want to make sure that I am understanding everything correctly...

It looks like the "General Business" concentration does not require any "extra" degree requirements specific to the concentration and the rest of the concentrations require any where from 9 to 21 specific concentration credits, some which I assume cannot be tested out of...

Does that sound about right?

So other than the Business Strategy Class and Information Literacy requirement, everything else can be tested out of...

I was wanting to concentrate in Finance, but it looks like that concentration requires 15 extra credits and it looks like a few of those classes cannot be tested out of...Being that my goal is to move onto an MBA when I am done, does it make sense to choose a concentration, or should I just go with General Business?

Thanks for the help in advance...
Excelsior BS - General Business - 2008
Jacksonville State University - MBA - 2010(Done)

121 credits...ALL DONE BABY!!!

54 credits transferred in from prior college
54 credits by examination
6 credits from community college
3 credits from CSU-Pueblo (Operations Management)
4 credits for Information Literacy and Business Strategy from Excelsior

CLEP:
Principles of Macroeconomics (64)
Principles of Microeconomics (61)
Principles of Marketing (66)
Principles of Management (72)
Info Systems and Comp Applications (57)
Introductory Business Law (65)
Social Sciences & History (61)
DSST:
Principles of Supervision (58)
Principles of Statistics (67)
Introduction to Computing (60)
Principles of Financial Accounting (56)
Principles of Finance (55)
Money and Banking (52)
Ethics in America (66)
Management Information Systems (58)
ECE:
Ethics: Theory and Practice (B)
Organizational Behavior ©

GMAT: 600
Yep, that is about right. The specific concentration classes aren't really extra though (at least I don't think they increase the total over 121 credits) it just is that your "business electives" end up being all in that field and are not able to be tested out of for the most part. I did the same thing with Marketing but decided to go the GB route mostly becuase I didn't want to have to pay for all the classes and would rather test out.

I think if you are planning on an MBA skiping the concentration shouldn't hurt you. I think concentrations come more into effect when you are job hunting and a company is looking for a more specific degree to their feild. That won't matter so much when you have an MBA, IMHO.
[SIZE=2]Goal: Excelsior BSGB 61 of 121 credits earned to date
I'm halfway there! (Whoa oh, living on a prayer)
21 transfered credits
6 more from AP English (4)
EC: Info Lit (P in 2 hours)
Clep: Educational Psych (69) Management (70) American Gov (53) A&I Lit (74) Algebra (52) Marketing (72)
DSST: Intro Comp (68) MIS (67) Here's Health (66) Supervision (60)

[/SIZE]
StealingDreams Wrote:Yep, that is about right. The specific concentration classes aren't really extra though (at least I don't think they increase the total over 121 credits) it just is that your "business electives" end up being all in that field and are not able to be tested out of for the most part. I did the same thing with Marketing but decided to go the GB route mostly becuase I didn't want to have to pay for all the classes and would rather test out.

For the Accounting concentration (and I believe some of the other concentrations, as well) it requires 15 credits in the concentration as opposed to the 12 credits of GB and some of the other concentrations, so you end up with 124 credits for the degree. The Business Core (including Ethics and Org. beh.) ends up being 33 credits, and then you have either 12 or 15 for a concentration to bring the total to 45-48.
I was in the General Business program and then realized that the difference between the GB and an Accounting concentration was about $400 (for me) and having a specific concentration was worth that $. It'll take longer (IS classes take a bit longer than testing out), but it was worth it to me.

I think it mostly depends on your goals.
I'm done!
B.A. English, TESC, completed December 2008

Tests passed: A/I Lit-73, Mgmt-71, Amer Lit-73, Tech Writing-64, Criminal Justice-56, Here's to Your Health-65, Law Enforcement-60

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,153 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,816 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU BALS and Questions TexasTink 20 4,979 09-06-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: TexasTink
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,273 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,618 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,778 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,750 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 4,939 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,936 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  TESU BALS w/Concentration questions shadowgem 0 1,703 08-24-2018, 12:40 PM
Last Post: shadowgem