Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colleges that will allow taking just one course
Hi! I am trying to find an 4 credit upper level math course I can take online and then transfer in to TESU. I don't mind paying regular price for the class - it will save me from having to take two. Does anyone know any college that may offer such a thing? 
(Even just an idea of something that might work)
Idk what you are asking

First as far as I know the Math BA can't be fully tested out of. Yes, can find the rest of UL math credits but they would be through an actual college not alt credit which could make it pricy and CC doesn't count as UL. Idk where you can find UL math for cheap I feel like it will cost at least $600 (200/cr) and even that would be a bargin.

Second, all of the big 3 require at least 2 course with them for a bachelors degree. Gone are the days where you can only take a capstone. All degrees have a cornerstone and capstone. (TESU waives the capstone if you already have a bachelors degree). But for your first bachelors degree you will have to take at least 2 courses at the school.

But the good news if you get the financial aid you have to take at least 6 credits to get anyways. So it isn't all bad TESU requires 6 credits with them. If you get it, at least aid makes more sense.
Which math are you looking for, specifically? Because it doesn't just matter what the offering university has it as; it matters what TESU will bring it in as.
(05-07-2020, 02:50 PM)natshar Wrote: Idk what you are asking

First as far as I know the Math BA can't be fully tested out of. Yes, can find the rest of UL math credits but they would be through an actual college not alt credit which could make it pricy and CC doesn't count as UL. Idk where you can find UL math for cheap I feel like it will cost at least $600 (200/cr) and even that would be a bargin.

Second, all of the big 3 require at least 2 course with them for a bachelors degree. Gone are the days where you can only take a capstone. All degrees have a cornerstone and capstone. (TESU waives the capstone if you already have a bachelors degree). But for your first bachelors degree you will have to take at least 2 courses at the school.

But the good news if you get the financial aid you have to take at least 6 credits to get anyways. So it isn't all bad TESU requires 6 credits with them. If you get it, at least aid makes more sense.

I am already taking enough courses with them. It's not the cheap factor -if I can get four credits I can save myself from taking another class through them - which will save me money. They actually require 18 credits from them or you pay a fee.
(05-07-2020, 02:45 PM)Giantzebra Wrote: Hi! I am trying to find an 4 credit upper level math course I can take online and then transfer in to TESU. I don't mind paying regular price for the class - it will save me from having to take two. Does anyone know any college that may offer such a thing? 
(Even just an idea of something that might work)

Most colleges will allow taking just one course. 

SUNY Empire State College has several upper level math courses worth 4 credits. If you don't have Discrete Math yet, they have a UL version of it for 4 credits. Lots of homework though.
https://www.esc.edu/nondegree/

If you haven't taken Concepts in Math and Quantitative Analysis (MAT-301) through Coopersmith (3 UL credits), it might be easier to take that + one more class at TESU (Geometry was relatively painless).
(05-07-2020, 03:27 PM)Giantzebra Wrote:
(05-07-2020, 02:50 PM)natshar Wrote: Idk what you are asking

I am already taking enough courses with them. It's not the cheap factor -if I can get four credits I can save myself from taking another class through them - which will save me money. They actually require 18 credits from them or you pay a fee.

Yes I know I know but is 16 credits not 18 for the fee. But it would be hard to find 1 credit so it makes sense to be at 18.

Try BYU independent study they are cheap and self paced. Idk if they have UL math though.
Study.com also has discrete math, FWIW. But TESU only counts discrete math as 3 credits and it appears to be LL because it's MAT-270. It looks like it'd be easier and cheaper to take two math courses with alternate credits rather than tearing your hair out trying to find something that TESU will transfer in as 4 UL credits.
Here's another option. Haven't found much feedback. Looks like it would be challenging, but self-paced:

https://westcottcourses.com/c/abstract-algebra/BR
Also if you haven't already try coopersmith they are only $150 and self-paced. And then you pay a fee to sent transcript to TESU I believe. I've heard good things about coopersmith.

The only courses that counts as UL are quantitative analysis and linear algebra. Each are worth 3 credits. If you need 4 credits this still might be cheaper and faster than a Uni to do both. Just get them pre-approved by e-mailing advising first.
(05-07-2020, 03:40 PM)natshar Wrote: Also if you haven't already try coopersmith they are only $150 and self-paced. And then you pay a fee to sent transcript to TESU I believe. I've heard good things about coopersmith.

The only courses that counts as UL are quantitative analysis and linear algebra. Each are worth 3 credits. If you need 4 credits this still might be cheaper and faster than a Uni to do both. Just get them pre-approved by e-mailing advising first.

So I can get 6 credits for 300? Or its 150 per credit?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation How many colleges and universities have closed since 2016? Ares 0 111 03-25-2024, 11:02 PM
Last Post: Ares
  The 100 Most Popular Accredited Online Colleges for 2024 LevelUP 2 205 03-20-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Colleges bring back ACT/SAT after finding test-optional policies hurt minorities LevelUP 1 149 03-16-2024, 11:17 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Newsweek: America's Top Online Colleges 2024 Ares 6 463 02-14-2024, 06:48 AM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  A Guide to Jesuit Colleges LevelUP 0 193 01-25-2024, 04:42 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  We Have Moved on From the Basic “Big 3” Colleges and Now Have CBE Big 3 and Others LevelUP 57 6,875 11-14-2023, 05:46 PM
  Religious Colleges ss20ts 33 3,754 11-10-2023, 10:53 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  The Top U.S. Colleges for Partying LevelUP 1 289 10-06-2023, 07:27 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Almost no one pays college sticker prices. Colleges are getting real about tution. LevelUP 0 332 10-06-2023, 05:14 PM
  Colleges that Accept Validential adrian052 10 936 09-26-2023, 10:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77