Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ultra Low Cost College Degree Video
Keep in mind they are in the process of becoming RA with WASC. No guarantee they will obtain that accreditation, but they're in the process.

No experience of my own with them, but based on what folks have said here and elsewhere on the form, I wouldn't be too interested if their model stays as is.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
I am pursuing the M.Ed in Advanced Teaching at UotP. I, like many others on here, was drawn to the whole concept of the university. Some of the good things about the program (in my opinion)
- Low cost
- It is in partnership with the IBO, so I would be eligible to teach at one of their schools
- I am getting some GREAT perspectives from all over the world
- They are pursuing regional accreditation, so thats good.

Some things that I have issues with:
- The over-reliance on peer assessment. While discussion boards are very useful, and peer grading is a great way to develop skills and see different perspectives, I do not like it as the main method of grading. I am in a master's program to learn from an expert in their field, not other students.
- Only half of the program seems to be available. I have taken all of the classes that are live, but they are only about half of the ones required for the program. No one has an answer for me about moving forward.
- The lack of flexibility. I was in the hospital at one point during my studies for swine flu and I had to accept 0s for a weeks worth of assignments.
- There is no phone number to call to speak with the "advisor" or literally anyone. That is a MAJOR problem for me.

Overall, its a cool concept. I have learned stuff. I went into this with an M.Ed and some other grad coursework, so I took a chance on this program. I didn't have anything to loose, so.. I also wish the name of the school was different; University of the People sounds a little ridiculous. If you are looking to take classes just to learn, then you can't go wrong. Just know what your in for.
[-] The following 1 user Likes letterchaser202's post:
  • ctcarl
I wonder how the programs are for people overseas. Many countries do not have education systems like the US. I could see this model being an incredible asset to many of the nations who are still using caste systems and have a great deal of poverty.
(05-22-2020, 10:48 AM)ss20ts Wrote: I wonder how the programs are for people overseas. Many countries do not have education systems like the US. I could see this model being an incredible asset to many of the nations who are still using caste systems and have a great deal of poverty.

Agreed. I believe Shai Reshef, its founder, has been pretty straightforward that while all are welcome, the University of the People is meant for people in lower income countries, not those in wealthier countries.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com
[-] The following 1 user Likes SteveFoerster's post:
  • ss20ts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,456 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,089 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,348 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 482 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,725 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 197 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 436 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 308 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 251 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 771 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden