Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone taken the Straighterline Western Civ. course?
I'm horrible with history classes, but I'm taking Straighterline's Western Civilization I course to fulfill a gen. ed. requirement. If anyone has taken this course, do you have any advice on what sources are best to study or make notes from? Also, does final exam have questions from the previous graded exams? Thank you in advance.
Working on: TESU BA Psychology & Criminal Justice

Completed:
Straighterline: Intro to Criminal Justice, Intro to Communications, Intro to Religion, Western Civilization I, Organizational 
 Behavior, Cultural Anthropology, Business Ethics,
Sophia: Ancient Greek Philosophers, Art History I, Introduction to Sociology, Project Management, Intro to Statistics
TEEX: Death Investigation
Coopersmith: Abnormal Psychology
Study.com: The Juvenile Justice System
(05-27-2020, 06:21 AM)ab10365 Wrote: I'm horrible with history classes, but I'm taking Straighterline's Western Civilization I course to fulfill a gen. ed. requirement. If anyone has taken this course, do you have any advice on what sources are best to study or make notes from? Also, does final exam have questions from the previous graded exams? Thank you in advance.
How was the course? I am considering it for a second AOS.
The course wasn't bad to be honest. I passed with a 95 & with more effort I could've done better. The course exams are more well aligned with the book than the chapter lessons. The final exam is open book, and the ebook is provided for the course so I recommend just using the ebook's search function. I tried to PM but it appears you have you message feature turned off.

Completed:
Straighterline: Intro to Criminal Justice, Intro to Communications, Intro to Religion, Western Civilization I, Organizational 
Sophia: Ancient Greek Philosophers, Art History I, Introduction to Sociology, Project Management, Intro to Statistics
It's an easy course.  I took it. Like @ab10365 said, the final is open book, and like everything with StraighterLine classes, the focus is more on the book than anything else.  I would venture to say that it's completely based on the book, and that the voice lessons are useless, unless something has changed recently.
Community College: College Success Skills | Gen. Psychology | Span 1 | Eng. 101 | Accounting 1 | Accounting 2 | Comp Skills

Study.com Scholarship: Per. Finance | Prin. of Marketing | Digi. Mark. & Advertising | HR Manage. | Prin. of Finance

The Institutes: Ethics

Sophia: Proj. Management

Straighterline:​ Survey of World History | Principles of Management | MacroEco. | MicroEco. | American Gov | US History 1 | US History 2 | Western Civ 1 | Western Civ 2 | Business Law | Intro to Religion | Cultural Anthropology | Intro to Environ. Science | Intro to Soc

ALEKS: Inter. Algebra | College Algebra | Intro to Stats

TEEX: Cyber 101 | Cyber 201 | Cyber 301

NFA: Fire Service Supervision: Self Study

Certified: Six Sigma Yellow Belt [8 PDU]
(07-12-2020, 10:16 PM)ab10365 Wrote: The course wasn't bad to be honest. I passed with a 95 & with more effort I could've done better. The course exams are more well aligned with the book than the chapter lessons. The final exam is open book, and the ebook is provided for the course so I recommend just using the ebook's search function. I tried to PM but it appears you have you message feature turned off.
Thanks, I saw same course on study.com, and so I might take that one after all.
(07-13-2020, 10:37 PM)Lacedonia4 Wrote:
(07-12-2020, 10:16 PM)ab10365 Wrote: The course wasn't bad to be honest. I passed with a 95 & with more effort I could've done better. The course exams are more well aligned with the book than the chapter lessons. The final exam is open book, and the ebook is provided for the course so I recommend just using the ebook's search function. I tried to PM but it appears you have you message feature turned off.

I'd recommend Straighterline as it's a lot cheaper than study.com and you can probably complete the course in a shorter time. It really is an easy course. If you do end up taking it on Study.com let me know how it goes!

Completed:
[-] The following 1 user Likes ab10365's post:
  • FastTrackDegree
(07-15-2020, 06:30 AM)ab10365 Wrote:

I'd recommend Straighterline as it's a lot cheaper than study.com and you can probably complete the course in a shorter time. It really is an easy course. If you do end up taking it on Study.com let me know how it goes!
I plan to take a bunch of other courses on study.com so it makes more sense to me financially to take all the history courses in one place for my second AOS (I am pursuing history as my second AOS). Study.com is only membership but all the courses are free, while SL is membership price AND course price $99 +$59 or $75 and I would need only two history courses on SL when I can take all 10 on study.com to fulfill history AOS.
(07-15-2020, 06:30 AM)ab10365 Wrote:

I was able to switch an unused course that I had purchased a while ago with Western Civilization I and then used a BOGO offer, thus paying just membership, so, after all, I wound up enrolling in both West. Civ. I & II on Straighterline and studying for both as we speak. Does Survey of World History transfer too with TESU? does it satisfy AOS Electives Group 2 LL history category?
I am taking the course, nice to know final is open book, how many questions on final? it weighs 300, and I am trying to figure out the weighted average for the final exam.
(07-22-2020, 10:12 PM)Lacedonia4 Wrote: I am taking the course, nice to know final is open book, how many questions on final? it weighs 300, and I am trying to figure out the weighted average for the final exam.
I'm not sure to be honest. I no longer have access to Straighterline courses because I cancelled my membership. Try looking at the lesson that includes your final exam, the exam details may be spelled out there. It's usually labeled "review" or something similar to that.
The final is cumulative and if I remember correctly, the information on the final is very similar to that of the previous exams so by the time you get to the final you should be set. You're allowed a page of notes. I always create my notes as flashcards on quizlet and then print them double sided on the "glossary" setting. If you want I can send you the link to the quizlet flashcards I used to study for the final.

Completed:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 78 Yesterday, 07:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,609 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 261 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 272 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
  Missing Credly Badges form StraighterLine legenwait4itdary 2 365 01-26-2024, 12:44 PM
  ENG301 Non Western Literature Lacedonia4 9 2,071 01-04-2024, 07:32 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  StraighterLine: do I have to complete everything to finish a course? jch 3 664 11-11-2023, 09:02 AM
Last Post: jch
  Straighterline Bio Lab Invoice reir 0 414 11-02-2023, 04:24 PM
Last Post: reir
  Straighterline etc - Graduate Credits in Education? nykorn 5 579 10-22-2023, 07:56 PM
  Straighterline Exams defscarlett 9 1,121 08-16-2023, 09:09 AM
Last Post: dfrecore