Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UDACITY advice
Hi all I am thinking about taking Udacity nanodegree. Since its not cheap by all means, I would be grateful for anyone who has experience with it and who can give their opinion, and insights on the topic. Any pros / cons will be extremely helpful. I am considering Computer science courses. Can it help to build real skills which can be applied at work? Or is it waist of money?
I signed up for a free month when they were doing that promo. The degree I was going for was full of useful information. However, I'm not sure it's worth the money unless you can be absolutely sure that you'll finish in 1-2 months. You're probably better off spending your money elsewhere, getting more industry-standard credentials, and/or enhancing your resume with portfolio work in a manner similar to artists. What specifically interested you about Udacity?
(06-24-2020, 06:54 AM)rachel83az Wrote: I signed up for a free month when they were doing that promo. The degree I was going for was full of useful information. However, I'm not sure it's worth the money unless you can be absolutely sure that you'll finish in 1-2 months. You're probably better off spending your money elsewhere, getting more industry-standard credentials, and/or enhancing your resume with portfolio work in a manner similar to artists. What specifically interested you about Udacity?
I am looking for programming path. I thought to take Machine Learning nanodegree after going through Data structures and Algorithms course. My primary goal is practical skills. Most institutions will offer you theoretical aspects more than practical. Since coding bootcamps are extremely overpriced.  Udacity seemed better deal. So I am not sure which industry credentials are focused on practical skills more than theory in reasonable price range.
Do you have/can you get the free Coursera deal? If not, I think they have an all-you-can-take yearly offer for $350 that lets you take as many of their certificate/specialization programs as you can in 12 months.

I would start with this: https://www.coursera.org/professional-ce...automation

There's one here from IBM that focuses on AI:
https://www.coursera.org/professional-ce...-watson-ai

Data science course from IBM, focuses on things like databases and machine learning:
https://www.coursera.org/professional-ce...ta-science

Guided projects are a new thing with Coursera that will let you delve more deeply into the practical aspects of various tasks. They have multiple AI-focused projects, such as "Unsupervised Machine Learning for Customer Market Segmentation", "University Admission Prediction Using Multiple Linear Regression", and "Emotion AI: Facial Key-points Detection".

Personally, I feel like having a certificate from IBM would be more prestigious than having a nanodegree from Udacity.
(06-24-2020, 12:02 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Do you have/can you get the free Coursera deal? If not, I think they have an all-you-can-take yearly offer for $350 that lets you take as many of their certificate/specialization programs as you can in 12 months.

I would start with this: https://www.coursera.org/professional-ce...automation

There's one here from IBM that focuses on AI:
https://www.coursera.org/professional-ce...-watson-ai

Data science course from IBM, focuses on things like databases and machine learning:
https://www.coursera.org/professional-ce...ta-science

Guided projects are a new thing with Coursera that will let you delve more deeply into the practical aspects of various tasks. They have multiple AI-focused projects, such as "Unsupervised Machine Learning for Customer Market Segmentation", "University Admission Prediction Using Multiple Linear Regression", and "Emotion AI: Facial Key-points Detection".

Personally, I feel like having a certificate from IBM would be more prestigious than having a nanodegree from Udacity.
Thanks a lot. I will take advantage of that  Smile
Hmm, I get the IBM certs for free from the workplace, heck, almost all the Business/IT certs are paid for if I pass otherwise it's out of pocket. I've taken both Coursera and Udacity courses, both have their pros and cons, I would recommend both - they teach you and you learn by doing, practice, problem solving mini, projects. You may think the IBM certifications are better known, but in fact, they're not all that known at all. Now, I just have to find a contracting/consulting gig that pays tuition or has tuition assistance/reimbursement for non Business/IT courses...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • SteveFoerster
I think you need to know what you want to do fairly specifically, and then ask some people in those industries which certs are the best to get.

I also know that the Nanodegree is part of a degree for one of the IT degrees at WGU (can't remember which one). So that might be a better use of your money.

There are lots of free/cheap things you can do to start, before you think about spending money though.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(06-24-2020, 11:49 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I think you need to know what you want to do fairly specifically, and then ask some people in those industries which certs are the best to get.

I also know that the Nanodegree is part of a degree for one of the IT degrees at WGU (can't remember which one).  So that might be a better use of your money.

There are lots of free/cheap things you can do to start, before you think about spending money though.

The Udacity Data Analytics Nanodegree will clear the majority of the major in WGU's BS in Data Management/Data Analytics. If that is something you're interested in, it is definitely worth completing ahead of time. 

Be aware that the nanodegree is a lot of work (they suggest 4-6 months to complete it), and not inexpensive (they have a deal where you only pay ~$1,000 if you can finish in 4 months), but still cheaper than completing a term at WGU. On the other hand, WGU will pay for it if you sign up and take it as part of the degree, but personally, I don't think that is worthwhile.

In my opinion, if that nanodegree is going to take 4-6 months to complete either way, I'd rather spend $1,000 to complete it in advance than pay $3,500 for a 6-month term at WGU. That way I could just focus on finishing the easier/faster courses at WGU and complete the balance of courses in a single term.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Thank you all for advice. I would love to go WGU but i am out of US. I found codingninjas.com. they offer few nice options. Cost is really really reasonable. Reviews on the courses and tutor support are very positive. I think i will sign up as soon as i am done with Sophia. Hope to build skills and go on to Com Sci degree after.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cofffeee's post:
  • rachel83az

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cruise Advice/Other Travel Suggestions burbuja0512 5 1,325 03-19-2024, 01:52 AM
Last Post: Chimera
  Need travel advice Ghostwill 1 524 02-12-2024, 05:16 AM
Last Post: Ghostwill
  Possible Career Change - Advice Needed acamp 18 1,214 06-11-2023, 06:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Advice needed, making time for uni work. Personherebb9 14 1,103 06-11-2023, 03:11 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  What is Good Advice for Future Expats? Kal Di 3 690 03-13-2022, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Messdiener
  How to Evaluate Advice (Before Using It) Kal Di 2 763 03-08-2022, 06:36 PM
Last Post: Kal Di
  The Best Life Advice Thread natshar 8 2,505 02-18-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: a4tunatemom
  HR Advice burbuja0512 17 2,939 02-04-2019, 03:56 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
Question Nervous about transferring , any advice 2L8 2 2,293 10-01-2018, 12:10 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Need advice about jobs - HELP! burbuja0512 21 3,642 09-29-2018, 05:01 PM
Last Post: lmckown