Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU- Utah Teachers License -> Canada
I've looked into transferring a WGU teaching MA to British Columbia Canada, but I can't really process what they're asking for in terms of reciprocity information. Does anyone know if I could be safe in assuming a US license could be transferred easily?
1. Prep Phase: Hopeless, 15 credits, need a BA fast, never heard of TESU
2. TESU BALS: 121/120 (9 months)

3. RN Paramedic Bridge - Excelsior (9 months + CPNE wait)
4. WGU RN -> BSN
5. BSN -> MSN/FNP
Hmm... Yes, it'll be easy for you to transfer from WGU MA and get a Certificate of Qualification.
But, because there is a shortage of spots... *smack* *jab* I'll battle you for that teaching spot!

You just need 3 things, a Bachelors, teaching practicum (75 hours 1 year/100 over 2 years), and the appropriate certificate
Link: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/educa...lification
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
bjcheung77's assumption is literally insane.

Please, please, please do the most basic research and find out what BC's qualifications are. So often we see morons on this forum making recommendations based on their misunderstanding of their state laws and assuming that they apply US-wide. Let alone internationally!

Just spend a day to confirm and don't listen to idiots on this forum. No one here has bothered to do the research necessary for your own situation that you should be doing.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Have you thought about Alberta? The province next to BC? I think their regulations are even more "lax" than in BC. If you're driving straight north, you should be hitting Idaho and Montanna, then straight up Alberta. Individuals from Alberta can get into teaching by finishing a "top up" program after completing a 3 year BGS at Athabasca U. That is the only BGS in Canada that allows 100% transfer - all 90 credits into a General Studies program, the only thing is, no ACE/NCCRS, it can all come from a Community College.

I've recommended Athabasca U many many times for individuals who have transferable credits, especially Canadians who have just Community College credit.
Quick Link: https://www.athabascau.ca/programs/summa...l-studies/
Detailed Link: http://calendar.athabascau.ca/undergrad/...am/bgs.php

In addition to that, if you wanted to teach at selective private schools in BC, such as a trade school, you can skip the K-12 option and go for a Provincial Instructor Diploma, it's possible to have it done entirely online... the kicker is, you really don't even need a "Bachelors" degree if you get departmental approval, an associates/diploma and trades experience (Red Seal trade certification can do).

Many people who teach use this as a spring board from "small" private schools that teach business/trades, etc, and move up to the "larger" private schools.
Minimum age is 16 and you need to be a subject matter expert! The program can be done in 10 months if you cram it like your TESU degree. VCC Link: https://www.vcc.ca/programs/provincial-i...gram-pidp/

There are more, hit me up if you want to know more about the requirements to each... you need to also get in contact with the certification bodies of which ever province you want to teach at to verify each requirement, but most if not all the provinces and territories require about the "same", there are always exceptions to the rule. In BC, there are really only "two best" streamline options to get into teaching the programs at SFU and UBC are the gold standard in the province...

Lastly, is this for your or a family member? Hmm, you didn't mention if you were wanting to teach at K-12 or private language schools, private business/it/other subject schools, community college or the public university level - each have variable requirements for those certifications.

(06-29-2020, 09:56 PM)jsd Wrote: bjcheung77's assumption is literally insane.

Please, please, please do the most basic research and find out what BC's qualifications are. So often we see morons on this forum making recommendations based on their misunderstanding of their state laws and assuming that they apply US-wide. Let alone internationally!

Just spend a day to confirm and don't listen to idiots on this forum. No one here has bothered to do the research necessary for your own situation that you should be doing.

Hi jsd, how's it going? Are you OK? Having issues at home, school or work? Everything fine? Most if not all your post are helpful and professional, except this particular one.... Thanks for noticing my post though, it was short as I was on an ipad mini and was working on a few things. I didn't notice your message was directed at me until now, but I did post some more details that may help the OP. My first reply was just to get a conversation going as you and I don't fully know what they need/require or want to teach.

In short, I think you pulled the trigger too quickly in assuming I didn't know the Canadian system. FYI, I've been an educational consultant for two dozen years (yes, 24 years) while working in the Business & IT sector. I am a dual citizen and live in the Pacific Northwest. The last person I had follow my guidance and instructions got a teaching job at a local Language Center in Richmond BC, she was a new immigrant from India and wife to one of my co-workers.

As you and I already know, we don't get paid for our posts here, we just spend some time and try to answer questions and this is something I've come across many many times. If you read one of my previous posts, I am not as active as I was before as I have more stuff to do. I appreciate your feedback but not sure why it was posted that way. Were you having an off moment? If you need someone to talk to you can private message me any time.

Just like Sanantone, I'm an introvert, I may sound/type differently than I am in person, but people know me for putting my best foot forward and getting the job done, I am the "go to person" for everything, I hope to continue reading your posts, especially love your GT Cybersecurity (policy track) as it's very helpful for individuals wanting to go that path, in fact, I purposely commented in it just to congratulate you on a good job and also be subscribed to that thread.

I'm not sure what my post did or what I did to deserve a moment of being berated by an individual that I think is one of the better contributors in the forum. We are here to help each other with whatever knowledge we have. It happens to be related to something in my neck of the woods so I commented on it to get things started. Cheese, You and I all started at TESU never knowing if it would actually be a 'real' degree or one that will be sufficient for future use, but it turns out just fine...

Anyways, if you compare your "very helpful post" to mine, we essentially mentioned a similar thing in different ways - contact the credentialing department after doing some research. Basically, I gave CheeseBurrito the link to do their research and contact those departments depending on what certification is required, the link I provided would give more details to the telephone or email address/mailing address, etc for getting all the required details.

Further to that, you and any member of the board including me, for a matter of fact, read the board daily to get info. There are times where I find info is incorrect or down-right not needed, or advice that I feel would not benefit the original poster. Instead of berating another member, I type something along the lines of... In addition to what was advised, you may want to do your own research and verify with the appropriate people...

Again, I am a very serious person in life and at work, whatever I do, heck, probably the most up-tight person people know. A quiet but helpful soul, if you can't help someone, don't assume I can't. I believe you and I are very amicable - we're here to help, I understand this may be a one-off situation and I do appreciate the feedback, but members can "defend" themselves or "research on their own". It's like the old saying - about leading a horse and getting water, you can't make them drink, I just want to point the OP into the right direction, it's up to them to take the advice or not, they're old enough to decide for themselves.

If you need to chat about anything, I'm all ears, for you or anyone else on this board, as I get daily private messages (gasp, wow, I'm at 750+), gotta clean up again and again... Just chill, stay safe, and have a great upcoming Independence Day! Hopefully the weather is good! Cheers!

[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • inkleind
There's a lot to unpack here and I sincerely appreciate the feedback given.

I'm Canadian, my twin girls are 5 months old and inherit citizenship. So I figure while we wait for my wife's visa to go through that I'd work on a degree that I can use up there. Maybe not full time, but a spare somewhere that I can dabble when I'm not in the ER.

It keeps life interesting to wear many hats, and teaching our next generations sounds awesome.
1. Prep Phase: Hopeless, 15 credits, need a BA fast, never heard of TESU
2. TESU BALS: 121/120 (9 months)

3. RN Paramedic Bridge - Excelsior (9 months + CPNE wait)
4. WGU RN -> BSN
5. BSN -> MSN/FNP
Yeah, I owe you an apology, bj.

So, my apologies.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WES Canada recognizes ENEB/Isabel smartdegree 79 20,040 03-03-2024, 05:48 AM
Last Post: ecdw94
  Online Psych Masters from VIU, WES Canada eligible? Earind_00 6 1,272 01-31-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: muca3
  Seeking Suggestions for Education Pathway for Canada's Permanent Residence OtterDen 8 1,100 06-23-2023, 10:18 AM
Last Post: smartdegree
  Free Seminary (unaccredited, Florida license) sanantone 9 1,331 06-26-2022, 09:30 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  NDSU courses for teachers hsfamfun 3 1,075 04-02-2022, 08:09 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
  Free Credit: UC-Boulder: 2 Day Arctic Climate Class for Teachers eriehiker 0 661 03-18-2021, 08:46 PM
Last Post: eriehiker
  Free One Credit Grad. Credit for Econ/Personal Finance Teachers eriehiker 0 769 05-21-2020, 12:50 AM
  Affordable and Fast Masters wtih Teaching License jthatcher50 8 3,330 05-15-2020, 12:08 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Free Summer Stem Course at USC for S. Carolina Teachers - Maybe eriehiker 0 632 04-25-2020, 09:20 PM
  Interesting Program for Math Teachers at Boston University eriehiker 0 702 04-25-2020, 03:30 PM