Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tuition free med school
Kaiser Permanente is opening a new med school and will be tuition free for first 5 cohorts while they go through the accreditation process. Good opportunity for those that qualify for admission. https://medschool.kp.org/admissions/tuit...ancial-aid
Not sure I would want to be one of their guinea pigs. There's no guarantee that they will be fully accredited by the time students finish in 4 years. Then what? They also only accept 48 students each year. VERY limited.
(07-30-2020, 11:59 AM)ss20ts Wrote: Not sure I would want to be one of their guinea pigs. There's no guarantee that they will be fully accredited by the time students finish in 4 years. Then what? They also only accept 48 students each year. VERY limited.
All new med schools have to go through the operating process with the Guinea pig cohorts before getting full accreditation. I would be pretty confident in it succeeding in gaining the full accreditation with the resources available from Kaiser Permanente. And just getting the initial status to open is a huge accomplishment that indicates the accrediting body anticipates it will succeed if all the proposed policies are followed. Everything has limitations, but this is still a really great opportunity for the right person.
(07-30-2020, 12:28 PM)Sparklette Wrote:
(07-30-2020, 11:59 AM)ss20ts Wrote: Not sure I would want to be one of their guinea pigs. There's no guarantee that they will be fully accredited by the time students finish in 4 years. Then what? They also only accept 48 students each year. VERY limited.
All new med schools have to go through the operating process with the Guinea pig cohorts before getting full accreditation. I would be pretty confident in it succeeding in gaining the full accreditation with the resources available from Kaiser Permanente. And just getting the initial status to open is a huge accomplishment that indicates the accrediting body anticipates it will succeed if all the proposed policies are followed. Everything has limitations, but this is still a really great opportunity for the right person.

That's a very big risk to take. What if they don't get accreditation? Kaiser Permanente isn't always well known for their following policies and procedures. This program isn't brand new. They applied for RA at least 2 years ago according to their website and it going to take at least 4 years. Nothing is posted about any progress on their accreditation moving forward.
(07-30-2020, 01:07 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(07-30-2020, 12:28 PM)Sparklette Wrote:

That's a very big risk to take. What if they don't get accreditation? Kaiser Permanente isn't always well known for their following policies and procedures. This program isn't brand new. They applied for RA at least 2 years ago according to their website and it going to take at least 4 years. Nothing is posted about any progress on their accreditation moving forward.
Clearly outside the risks you're willing to take, but other folk might appreciate the opportunity. And really, there have to be some risk takers for the accreditation to go through. The biggest risk takers are already starting and in a year and a half will know if the preliminary status is upgraded to provisional. So really only 1 more admitted cohort that will go in without that. To get to the point where the school is now has already taken substantial investment and several years, it seems unlikely they would just let that all go to waste without completing the process successfully....especially since KP easily has the money and clout to attract the right folk to make that happen.
Potential students can always contact the accrediting body for more information. From what I've read about risks with new medical schools, the biggest is having limited residencies available, which is minimized when the new school is partnered with or part of an existing health system. I was trying to find an example of a school that made it this far and the process before failing, but I couldn't find anything. If you know of any, I'd be curious as to what the students that started the program end up doing.
NYU does tuition free for their medical students.
Master of Science (M.S.) in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics (2023)
Duke University | The Fuqua School of Business

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Management (2019)
Southeastern Oklahoma State University | The John Massey School of Business

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology (2015)
East Central University | The College of Health Sciences

Accumulated Credit: Undergraduate - 126 Hours, Graduate - 83 Hours

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 292 Yesterday, 11:03 PM
Last Post: armado
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 883 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,843 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 116 15,343 02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  Northwestern California University School of Law - My Journey GoodYellowDogs 47 14,280 02-14-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: MFG
  MIT University just released free online courses. KSoul 0 414 02-14-2024, 04:33 AM
Last Post: KSoul
  List of free graduate credit udi 15 7,614 01-26-2024, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  School of Business and Trade evaluation bjcheung77 12 1,244 01-11-2024, 10:36 PM
Last Post: adrian052
  European Grad Studies Abroad: Cost of Living vs Low Tuition Fees bjcheung77 7 1,408 12-23-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Medical School, AMCAS, Prerequisites, Pass or fail, online college, etc... CanICode 22 3,352 10-18-2023, 08:38 AM
Last Post: CanICode