Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ProctorU data breach
News has broken today that ProctorU (already my least favorite online proctoring service) has suffered a data breach: https://www.smh.com.au/national/hackers-...55j6h.html

They're the provider used by TESU and many other institutions. According to this article, only users registered in 2014 or earlier are impacted. The attackers did get access to unencrypted passwords, so it's time to change your password on ProctorU and anywhere else you used that same credential.
TESU Class of 2024 BSBA-CIS+GM, BSIT, ASNSM-CS+Math, AAS-GEN
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
(08-06-2020, 01:42 PM)jch Wrote: News has broken today that ProctorU (already my least favorite online proctoring service) has suffered a data breach: https://www.smh.com.au/national/hackers-...55j6h.html

They're the provider used by TESU and many other institutions. According to this article, only users registered in 2014 or earlier are impacted. The attackers did get access to unencrypted passwords, so it's time to change your password on ProctorU and anywhere else you used that same credential.

Thanks for sharing. Also, I was literally looking for ideas to write about for cyber security course so this helps!
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
Another reason to love ProctorFU.
(08-06-2020, 01:42 PM)jch Wrote: News has broken today that ProctorU (already my least favorite online proctoring service) has suffered a data breach: https://www.smh.com.au/national/hackers-...55j6h.html

Yeah, my password manager alerted me to the breach, plus I got an email "Have I Been Pwned" confirming that my information was included in the breach.

Btw, HIBP is a great free service to sign up for if you aren't aware of it. If you are in a data breach, you'll usually find out from them well before you are notified by the company that your info was compromised.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • ss20ts
(08-07-2020, 04:38 AM)Merlin Wrote: Btw, HIBP is a great free service to sign up for if you aren't aware of it. If you are in a data breach, you'll usually find out from them well before you are notified by the company that your info was compromised.

It is absolutely fantastic. The creator of HIBP keeps talking about selling it, which worries me. It's a great site, but I feel like it's an 'enjoy it while it lasts' kind of thing. Once it gets sold to Microsoft or Google or some other corporate entity, I'll bet a whole collection data dumps will coincidentally not be added in to their databases.
(08-07-2020, 06:16 AM)innen_oda Wrote:
(08-07-2020, 04:38 AM)Merlin Wrote: Btw, HIBP is a great free service to sign up for if you aren't aware of it. If you are in a data breach, you'll usually find out from them well before you are notified by the company that your info was compromised.

It is absolutely fantastic. The creator of HIBP keeps talking about selling it, which worries me. It's a great site, but I feel like it's an 'enjoy it while it lasts' kind of thing. Once it gets sold to Microsoft or Google or some other corporate entity, I'll bet a whole collection data dumps will coincidentally not be added in to their databases.

You needn't worry. It went open source today.
On Saylor.org I just saw an article from Aug 26, 2020 about a data breach that affected Proctor U. I never received any notification nor email in regard of this. How worried should us students be?

https://www.saylor.org/2020/08/informati...ta-breach/

PS: sorry didn't realize it had already been posted. I did a search on degree forum before posting and didn't come up. I only saw article yesterday as I checked my progress on some courses on saylor. Thanks for moving my post to the right thread.
That article states the following: “If you have never had an account with ProctorU or first created an account with ProctorU after March 2015, this data breach does not affect you.”
Did you create an account with Proctor U before or after March 2015?
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
(08-30-2020, 12:06 AM)Supermind Wrote: That article states the following: “If you have never had an account with ProctorU or first created an account with ProctorU after March 2015, this data breach does not affect you.”
Did you create an account with Proctor U before or after March 2015?

Yeah, this really only affects people who have had a ProctorU account for ≥ 5 years so most people on this forum are probably fine.

That said, it is never a bad idea to change your passwords after a data breach. This is particularly important if you use a common password on multiple sites (which is a terrible idea, just to be clear). Ideally, you should use different random passwords on each site stored in some kind of password manager, so if one gets compromised, it doesn't affect anything else.

If you were affected, as I was, you really just need to change your password on ProctorU and any other sites you may share that password with. My guess is that they hit ProctorU mainly to harvest passwords rather than to specifically gain access to ProctorU accounts. There isn't a whole lot a bad actor can do with old ProctorU accounts since I imagine that most of the people with accounts that old probably don't use them anymore.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 177 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  Introductory data science courses inor 6 509 02-08-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
  Spanish - Learning website security breach bjcheung77 1 1,071 12-24-2023, 01:15 AM
Last Post: Johann
  Software Engineer vs Data Engineer nomaduser 5 454 10-14-2023, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  ProctorU moving to new 'Guardian Browser' system jch 4 2,143 05-17-2023, 04:04 PM
Last Post: jch
  Level 7 - AI & Data Science Apprenticeship (funded, UK only) bjcheung77 1 557 01-20-2023, 10:31 AM
Last Post: smartdegree
  What courses should I take to learn the Data skills/tools I need? Vle045 8 832 06-15-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: sanantone
Information New Batch of Microsoft Exams are now ACE(data, cloud, cs, UL) MNomadic 5 1,359 04-05-2022, 04:56 AM
Last Post: jch
  Parents want to know what the companies do with kids’ data bjcheung77 0 463 01-17-2022, 05:56 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  77 terabytes of data lost! bjcheung77 2 741 12-31-2021, 05:36 PM
Last Post: Alpha