Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bachelors direct to DBA
First post  and I wanted to ask about online DBA (preferably AACSB) directly from a 4.0 GPA bachelors. Is that possible and if yes what are the cheapest option out there?

Is it better to find a cheap online AACSB  MBA first? Which one?

Is there such a thing as a cheap DBA in the US or should I look at the University in South Africa or any other country that are AACSB accredited? I'm in the Northeast where colleges are expensive AF.

Guidance appreciated. Thanks
Some doctoral programs may admit you, but you don't really save by skipping a Master's because if you don't have one, you have to do those credits also as part of your doctoral study.

As for the rest, it depends entirely on what your specific goals are. Tell us more, and you'll get much more useful advice!
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com
Hi Steve. I guess I could go either PHd or DBA. PHd I was told is more research while DBA is like an enhanced MBA basically and you work off existing research.

With a PHd, the school I spoke to said that there are no classes that are similar from the MBA to the PHd. I asked if I could earn a masters along the way, she said not really. She said there are exceptions that they can take a good candidate with a strong undergrad GPA in the PHd program.

My goal is eventually to do consulting thats why initially I went towards a DBA since it might be cheaper than a PHd.
(08-11-2020, 09:27 AM)SteveFoerster Wrote: Some doctoral programs may admit you, but you don't really save by skipping a Master's because if you don't have one, you have to do those credits also as part of your doctoral study.

As for the rest, it depends entirely on what your specific goals are. Tell us more, and you'll get much more useful advice!

Excellent point. For shorter duration and savings purposes, one might consider Western Governors for a Masters. If you have the time and you're really ambitious, you could knock it out much faster than you would be able to in the typical scheduled Masters program, save quite a bit of money, and have more options for Doctoral programs since not having a Masters won't be a barrier to admission.
[-] The following 1 user Likes eLearner's post:
  • SteveFoerster
ELEarner, the only thing about WGU is that they are ACBSP accredited and the PHd or DBA I am looking into is AACSB. Schools that have AACSB accreditation would require a masters from an AACSB institution. That is what the 2 schools that I have talked to said. I was looking at Georgia Southwestern for an MBA for a cost under $10K for the whole program and they are AACSB accredited.

FRom the schools i talked to, they said that they do not take any graduate courses (MBA) to apply to the doctorate program. So starting the doctorate is like starting a whole new game. If I could save myself $10K and jump into a online DBA.
It is not really beneficial to go from a BSBA to a DBA as the DBA is geared towards those with significant management experience. Most, maybe not all, DBA programs require an MBA or another Masters degree in the business realm.

The PhD, however, is possible directly from undergrad.
Master of Science (M.S.) in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics (2023)
Duke University | The Fuqua School of Business

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Management (2019)
Southeastern Oklahoma State University | The John Massey School of Business

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology (2015)
East Central University | The College of Health Sciences

Accumulated Credit: Undergraduate - 126 Hours, Graduate - 83 Hours
(08-11-2020, 08:03 PM)Doctor Who Wrote: ELEarner, the only thing about WGU is that they are ACBSP accredited and the PHd or DBA I am looking into is AACSB. Schools that have AACSB accreditation would require a masters from an AACSB institution. That is what the 2 schools that I have talked to said. I was looking at Georgia Southwestern for an MBA for a cost under $10K for the whole program and they are AACSB accredited.

FRom the schools i talked to, they said that they do not take any graduate courses (MBA) to apply to the doctorate program. So starting the doctorate is like starting a whole new game. If I could save myself $10K and jump into a online DBA.

You're trying to get into a Doctoral program without a Masters in a country where--while it does happen--it happens rarely when comparing to the whole. If you're trying to get into a program that requires an AACSB Masters, well, you don't have one, so, that's a problem. But here is the thing:

"Schools that have AACSB accreditation would require a masters from an AACSB institution. That is what the 2 schools that I have talked to said."

I'm not aware of such a requirement made by the AACSB itself (but anyone can feel free to link me), so I would ask if this is a requirement of the schools you're applying to, and I would also contact the AACSB, in fact I'd contact the AACSB first then talk to the schools. The answer to that will make a big difference for making decisions down the road. If it's a school specific requirement, then you may have some room to negotiate that, or simply finds schools without that requirement if an agreement can't be reached. But the main point is, without a Masters from anywhere, you have very little leverage to negotiate anything with any school and will have far fewer options overall.
The AACSB Masters/PhD/DBA/Whatever is a requirement to teach at any AACSB school that I’ve ever seen. I’m not saying there are not exceptions, but that has been my experience.

It may be the school’s choice or a AACSB requirement, I’m not sure. I never looked into it that deeply. I just know it’s a super ubiquitous requirement in the job listings I’ve seen and it was told to me by professors at several schools.

Those are the schools that will have the most funding available. Things are changing quite a bit right now, so that may not stay the same. But that’s where the money is right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
(08-11-2020, 11:33 PM)Tedium Wrote: The AACSB Masters/PhD/DBA/Whatever is a requirement to teach at any AACSB school that I’ve ever seen. I’m not saying there are not exceptions, but that has been my experience.

It may be the school’s choice or a AACSB requirement, I’m not sure. I never looked into it that deeply. I just know it’s a super ubiquitous requirement in the job listings I’ve seen and it was told to me by professors at several schools.

Those are the schools that will have the most funding available. Things are changing quite a bit right now, so that may not stay the same. But that’s where the money is right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That I've seen. I've seen it in many job listings for university teaching positions where the schools mention it as a requirement. Teaching carries different requirements however. For instance, regionally accredited schools almost never allow degree holders from other accreditation types to teach, but there have certainly been holders of NA degrees admitted to RA degree programs.