Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with program and uni choice
(09-26-2020, 07:33 PM)eLearner Wrote:
Even I've heard of Rovira before, and I've lived in Texas half of my life.

I believe you, but let's not make it as if Rovira I Virgili is a well-known or even mildly-known school to the overwhelming majority of people in the United States or Canada. It just isn't, like at all, and I'm not sure what the motivation would be to make it seem otherwise.

Plus, I highly doubt anyone in Canada is any more likely to have heard of Northern Arizona University than Rovira...

I don't doubt that one bit myself: First, Canadians are far more aware of American geography than Americans are of Canadian's (which is kind of a commentary on a separate issue with the American education system, but I digress) so something from Northern Arizona is not going to sound odd to a Canadian.

Secondly, it's not going to come across as odd to a Canadian that someone came from Northern Arizona University--an English-speaking American state school--versus a Spanish school with very few ties with the country and even fewer if any graduates of the school living there. I'm not saying NAU is a big deal in Canada either, but a school named Rovira I Virgili from Spain absolutely isn't a deal in Canada, and having lived on the border of Canada for 4 decades and being in Canada often during that entire amount of time (I should have citizenship, lol), I think I have maybe a little insight into the school conversation climate in a number of places there.

You're acting like the difference in name recognition between NAU and Rovira is the difference between John F Kennedy University and Johns Hopkins

At least in this context, it more than likely is, except Rovira is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar less known here than John F Kennedy University and JFK U isn't even that well-known here if we're going to be intellectually honest about it, so that speaks volumes.

I'm not convinced at all that Rovira I Virgili isn't going to raise some questions in this part of the world versus an American state degree with the name of an American state attached to it. Sorry, just don't buy that one. This is the same kind of conversation we had about Isabel, and while I'm on board with the Isabel deal I'm not pretending that it being on a resume won't raise questions because it is a Spanish school and not familiar to the overwhelming majority of people in this part of the globe. Rovira has a longer history than Isabel, but in this part of the world neither school is in the normal conversation about schools and the reason is simple: Americans are almost entirely going to American schools, and Canadians to Canadian schools. When both sets start going en masse to Spanish schools, then this will be a much different conversation.

(09-26-2020, 06:26 PM)Sdmj33 Wrote:
(09-26-2020, 06:19 PM)eLearner Wrote: School rankings tend to be questionable. Employers are not using them, hiring managers have an idea of which schools are at the top and the ones they're unfamiliar with will attract their scrutiny.

The world rankings are a nice idea if you plan to be living or working internationally but most people aren't going to do that. I'm sure Rovira is a fine school, but if I'm trying to gain acceptance in North America it just makes sense to get a degree from a place that will raise the fewest questions. Now, if Canada is the aim, a Canadian school would be most ideal, but if you have to choose between an American school like NAU that would more than likely communicate familiarity immediately versus a Spanish school that pretty much every employer in Canada has never heard of and by name draws the person to have to look it up because it doesn't look like a name from a school in that region of the world, well, now that's a question and it may not work in your favor when someone with a degree from an instantly familiar school like the University of Toronto walks through the door.
I will not be using those degrees for employment. I just need one to bump up my score on the express entry list. I will be enrolling myself into a Canadian uni once I get permanent residency.

I am even considering ENEB masters and MBA with a pathway into a UCN DBA or even an MBA validation.

Smile

Well, at the risk of a reply such as "I'm independently wealthy and will never need a job for the rest of my life while living in Canada" (I'm kidding, but it's just the way the thread has been going, lol), I would just say that at some point you may need a job while in Canada and these things may matter to you at some point during that time, so it's never a bad idea to cover your bases.

My whole point is that for a foreign student (OP has stated that they are from India and looking to migrate to Canada), this degree shouldn't raise any more eyebrows than saying you went to Curtin University (Australia) or Wrexham Glyndwr (Wales). 

Given that I only heard of NAU on this forum and nowhere else prior to that, my assumption is that its name is not going to have much recognition outside of "Oh, it's in Arizona somewhere"

If you're from the anglosphere, any school in the anglosphere would probably be more recognizable than any school out of the anglosphere and would be almost expected for you to not get weird looks, sure, but OP is not from the anglosphere and thus isn't really party to the same rules yet. I've got friends from Canada who got degrees from various members of the EHEA and have had zero difficulties getting work, and their most common criticism of the US is that we are too closed-minded about where education must come from.

I mean, seriously, I've had people in the US tell me that Deakin University, #244 in the world and about #140 for their business school, would be a bad choice because "It isn't American," so pardon my incredulity at the very American notion that getting an education has to be geolocked to the USA.

I'm not trying to make the case that Rovira is more recognizable in Canada, only the case that 1) it will not likely affect immigration one lick and 2) OP should go after whatever education he thinks is best suited for him, especially since he's planning to go into school once he gets to Canada
Master of Business Administration, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Management & Team Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in International Trade, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Supply Chain Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Project Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2023

BS Information Technology, Western Governors University, 2017
AAS Cybersecurity, Community College, 2017
FEMA Emergency Management Certificate, 2017
Fundraising Specialization Certificate, Berkeley/Haas, 2020

Undergraduate Credits: 165 Semester Credits
Graduate Credits: 105 ECTS (52.5 Semester Credits)
(09-26-2020, 08:07 PM)Thorne Wrote:

I believe you, but let's not make it as if Rovira I Virgili is a well-known or even mildly-known school to the overwhelming majority of people in the United States or Canada. It just isn't, like at all, and I'm not sure what the motivation would be to make it seem otherwise.

Plus, I highly doubt anyone in Canada is any more likely to have heard of Northern Arizona University than Rovira...

I don't doubt that one bit myself: First, Canadians are far more aware of American geography than Americans are of Canadian's (which is kind of a commentary on a separate issue with the American education system, but I digress) so something from Northern Arizona is not going to sound odd to a Canadian.

Secondly, it's not going to come across as odd to a Canadian that someone came from Northern Arizona University--an English-speaking American state school--versus a Spanish school with very few ties with the country and even fewer if any graduates of the school living there. I'm not saying NAU is a big deal in Canada either, but a school named Rovira I Virgili from Spain absolutely isn't a deal in Canada, and having lived on the border of Canada for 4 decades and being in Canada often during that entire amount of time (I should have citizenship, lol), I think I have maybe a little insight into the school conversation climate in a number of places there.

You're acting like the difference in name recognition between NAU and Rovira is the difference between John F Kennedy University and Johns Hopkins

At least in this context, it more than likely is, except Rovira is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar less known here than John F Kennedy University and JFK U isn't even that well-known here if we're going to be intellectually honest about it, so that speaks volumes.

I'm not convinced at all that Rovira I Virgili isn't going to raise some questions in this part of the world versus an American state degree with the name of an American state attached to it. Sorry, just don't buy that one. This is the same kind of conversation we had about Isabel, and while I'm on board with the Isabel deal I'm not pretending that it being on a resume won't raise questions because it is a Spanish school and not familiar to the overwhelming majority of people in this part of the globe. Rovira has a longer history than Isabel, but in this part of the world neither school is in the normal conversation about schools and the reason is simple: Americans are almost entirely going to American schools, and Canadians to Canadian schools. When both sets start going en masse to Spanish schools, then this will be a much different conversation.

(09-26-2020, 06:19 PM)eLearner Wrote: School rankings tend to be questionable. Employers are not using them, hiring managers have an idea of which schools are at the top and the ones they're unfamiliar with will attract their scrutiny.

The world rankings are a nice idea if you plan to be living or working internationally but most people aren't going to do that. I'm sure Rovira is a fine school, but if I'm trying to gain acceptance in North America it just makes sense to get a degree from a place that will raise the fewest questions. Now, if Canada is the aim, a Canadian school would be most ideal, but if you have to choose between an American school like NAU that would more than likely communicate familiarity immediately versus a Spanish school that pretty much every employer in Canada has never heard of and by name draws the person to have to look it up because it doesn't look like a name from a school in that region of the world, well, now that's a question and it may not work in your favor when someone with a degree from an instantly familiar school like the University of Toronto walks through the door.
I will not be using those degrees for employment. I just need one to bump up my score on the express entry list. I will be enrolling myself into a Canadian uni once I get permanent residency.

I am even considering ENEB masters and MBA with a pathway into a UCN DBA or even an MBA validation.

Smile

Well, at the risk of a reply such as "I'm independently wealthy and will never need a job for the rest of my life while living in Canada" (I'm kidding, but it's just the way the thread has been going, lol), I would just say that at some point you may need a job while in Canada and these things may matter to you at some point during that time, so it's never a bad idea to cover your bases.

My whole point is that for a foreign student (OP has stated that they are from India and looking to migrate to Canada), this degree shouldn't raise any more eyebrows than saying you went to Curtin University (Australia) or Wrexham Glyndwr (Wales). 

Given that I only heard of NAU on this forum and nowhere else prior to that, my assumption is that its name is not going to have much recognition outside of "Oh, it's in Arizona somewhere"

If you're from the anglosphere, any school in the anglosphere would probably be more recognizable than any school out of the anglosphere and would be almost expected for you to not get weird looks, sure, but OP is not from the anglosphere and thus isn't really party to the same rules yet. I've got friends from Canada who got degrees from various members of the EHEA and have had zero difficulties getting work, and their most common criticism of the US is that we are too closed-minded about where education must come from.

I mean, seriously, I've had people in the US tell me that Deakin University, #244 in the world and about #140 for their business school, would be a bad choice because "It isn't American," so pardon my incredulity at the very American notion that getting an education has to be geolocked to the USA.

You've seen my position on ENEB and Isabel, a Spanish program, so I think you're well-aware that I do not at all believe in "the very American notion that getting an education has to be geolocked to the USA." But I do believe in being realistic about a situation. I don't think mentioning the very real caveats is anything more than that. Besides, regardless of how I feel or you feel about it, in the end it's going to come down to how the receiver of that resume feels, and unfortunately we don't live in a world where everyone has an international worldview and will be accepting of foreign degree programs like we are here. I hate that reality, but there isn't anything I can do about it beyond just maintaining my own open view of it.

If you're from the anglosphere, any school in the anglosphere would probably be more recognizable than any school out of the anglosphere and would be almost expected for you to not get weird looks, sure, but OP is not from the anglosphere and thus isn't really party to the same rules yet.

Ah, but isn't that the crux of the matter? This is a person who is looking to get into the anglosphere. He/she should be made aware of what kinds of obstacles (including prejudices and misconceptions) are there before attempting to do so. Besides that, if the option to get a degree that is more in line with the anglosphere is available, why not take that route instead of the route that is less in line with it? Why not take the path of least resistance to the place you want to be?

Agreed. But you have to admit, "Oh, it's in Arizona somewhere" is a heck of a lot better than "Rovirrr... aaa... i... Vir... Huh? What does that mean? Where is that?" You just know that reaction is going to come, and as soon as that "huh" hits with a lot of resume screeners, an applicant is toast. Fair? Nope, but as you know, these things often aren't.
Just to bring you some base knowledge about the name Rovira i Virgili University:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoni_Rovira_i_Virgili

Now you cannot say that you do not know why it is called this way!
(09-26-2020, 06:39 PM)Thorne Wrote:

Plus, I highly doubt anyone in Canada is any more likely to have heard of Northern Arizona University than Rovira because it's not exactly a prestigious school. It's not bad either, just not prestigious. You're acting like the difference in name recognition between NAU and Rovira is the difference between John F Kennedy University and Johns Hopkins  Big Grin

Secondly, it's not going to come across as odd to a Canadian that someone came from Northern Arizona University--an English-speaking American state school--versus a Spanish school with very few (if any) ties with the country and even fewer if any graduates of the school living there. I'm not saying NAU is a big deal in Canada either, but a school named Rovira I Virgili from Spain absolutely isn't a deal in Canada, and having lived on the border of Canada for 4 decades and being in Canada often during that entire amount of time (I should have citizenship, lol), I think I have maybe a little insight into the school conversation climate in a number of places there.

Smile

I would be needing a job, yes. But for now I need something thats equivalent to a canadian masters. This is only to help me move to canada. Like i said before, i will be enrolling myself into a canadian institution and get a degree which will have no problem getting recognized by employers.
(09-26-2020, 09:14 PM)Kab Wrote: Just to bring you some base knowledge about the name Rovira i Virgili University:

Because I don't know everything, I actually did look that up the moment I saw it posted days ago. Give me a little credit, lol. My "Rovirrr... aaa... i... Vir... Huh? What does that mean? Where is that?" was just an example of the type of reaction it could receive in parts of the world unfamiliar with the school and the naming conventions of Spanish institutions.
[-] The following 1 user Likes eLearner's post:
  • Kab
(09-27-2020, 07:43 AM)eLearner Wrote:
(09-26-2020, 09:14 PM)Kab Wrote: Just to bring you some base knowledge about the name Rovira i Virgili University:

Because I don't know everything, I actually did look that up the moment I saw it posted days ago. Give me a little credit, lol. My "Rovirrr... aaa... i... Vir... Huh? What does that mean? Where is that?" was just an example of the type of reaction it could receive in parts of the world unfamiliar with the school and the naming conventions of Spanish institutions.

I give you credit!
My tone was more positive-> learn something new of each situation.
My apologies if it I transmit it wrong.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kab's post:
  • eLearner
(09-28-2020, 03:10 AM)Kab Wrote:
(09-27-2020, 07:43 AM)eLearner Wrote:

I give you credit!
My tone was more positive-> learn something new of each situation.
My apologies if it I transmit it wrong.

Hahaha, I know. You didn't do anything wrong. I was just yanking your chain a little Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 300 Yesterday, 11:03 PM
Last Post: armado
  I am looking for a budget online MBA program ranked among the top 50 in USA shrekr 51 15,457 01-15-2024, 10:02 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Graduate program for ITT tech graduate Phdhopeful 12 2,275 09-20-2023, 07:37 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Accepted into Georgia Tech's Online MSCS program frankc 11 1,635 09-19-2023, 05:40 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Sacramento State launches accelerated, fully online iMBA program LevelUP 7 1,206 09-04-2023, 11:38 AM
Last Post: datby98
Question Saylor starting an MBA program?! jch 40 4,362 09-04-2023, 12:03 AM
Last Post: SweetSecret
  Chaminade University - Ed.S School Psychology program (Not online, but it's FREE !) nyvrem 9 1,204 09-02-2023, 04:19 AM
Last Post: GameSlinger
  DTSC-660 at Eastern University (MS in Data Science program) AwardTour 3 1,720 05-25-2023, 04:17 PM
Last Post: AnonStudent
  JWMI MBA Program - My experience so far Vle045 15 2,725 05-15-2023, 09:16 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  Looking for online Grad Cert. or Masters Program RoliJoli 4 1,107 03-27-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: sanantone