Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Liberty: Dual AOS only needs 30 resident credits
Star 
Hey everybody.

I have been off track for several months after finishing a bunch of free Sophia courses. 

My thought has always been to complete my BSBA through TESU. Their requirements are minimal and accommodate my circumstances better than the other big two. However, the residency waiver always worried me. As in, "How would I be able to afford that? And is it really worth it?" 

On the other hand, Liberty University has a good BSBA program, generous transfer allowance (up to 90 credits), and lower rates for veterans. Plus, FAFSA would help with the bill. I would have to take at least 30 credits through them, but it's a good trade-off for me.

I planned to pursue a dual AOS with TESU. So I asked if the 30-credit requirement pertained to dual AOS too, or if the second AOS would increase the residency credit requirement. They stated that it is still just 30 credits.

That was the long-winded version of the story. I think it's great and wanted to tell other folks, in case you're wondering, and also ask if anybody else can confirm..?
Working towards:
  • BS Entrepreneurship @ Franklin U or BA Human Relations & Business @ Amberton U
Exams/Courses Taken (99 Credits)
  • CLEP (36) - English Comp, Natural Science, College Math, Principles of Mgmt, Intro Marketing, Intro Sociology, Analyzing & Interpreting Lit, Intro to Educational Psychology, Human Growth & Dev 
  • DSST (12) - Principles of Supervision, Intro to Business, Human Resources Mgmt, Organizational Behavior
  • Sophia Learning (51) - Developing Effective Teams, Student Success, Essentials of Managing Conflict, Conflict Resolution, Intro to Ethics, Visual Communication, Intro to Psychology, Public Speaking, Intro to Info Tech, Accounting, Statistics, Algebra, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Communication at Work, Principles of Finance, Business Law, US History 1&2
  • Study.com - Coming soon...
[-] The following 1 user Likes SCYankee's post:
  • a4tunatemom
Wondering why you didn't just use your FAFSA to take 16+ credits at TESU to avoid the residency waiver?
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • ss20ts
(10-03-2020, 12:47 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Wondering why you didn't just use your FAFSA to take 16+ credits at TESU to avoid the residency waiver?

But are they actual courses at TESU? And the credits cost a lot more, correct?
Working towards:
  • BS Entrepreneurship @ Franklin U or BA Human Relations & Business @ Amberton U
  • CLEP (36) - English Comp, Natural Science, College Math, Principles of Mgmt, Intro Marketing, Intro Sociology, Analyzing & Interpreting Lit, Intro to Educational Psychology, Human Growth & Dev 
  • DSST (12) - Principles of Supervision, Intro to Business, Human Resources Mgmt, Organizational Behavior
  • Sophia Learning (51) - Developing Effective Teams, Student Success, Essentials of Managing Conflict, Conflict Resolution, Intro to Ethics, Visual Communication, Intro to Psychology, Public Speaking, Intro to Info Tech, Accounting, Statistics, Algebra, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Communication at Work, Principles of Finance, Business Law, US History 1&2
Yes, they are actual courses at TESU. At TESU, you need 6 already (Capstone & Cornerstone). The credits aren't that much more. Liberty has undergraduate rates at $390 for full-time and $455 for part time. TESU is $399 for NJ residents and $519 otherwise. Unless you take 3 or more classes (9 credits) in a term then it's a flat $3579 for NJ residents or $4639 for everyone else. If you take 4 classes in a single term, you still pay $4639 and your per-credit cost drops to $397. You would only need to do this twice to more than cover the minimum requirements and get your tuition waiver. To take full advantage of the flat-rate tuition, I'd suggest that you do Term 1: Cornerstone + 3 other classes. Term 2: Capstone + 2 or 3 other classes. Residency covered, cost is less than 30 credits at Liberty.

30 credits at Liberty = $11,700 + $199 technology fee per semester + an additional $20 to $200+ fee PER COURSE (https://www.liberty.edu/student-financia...120-UG.pdf)

Residency at TESU = $9278 for 2 terms.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Yeah 16 credits at TESU would be less than 30 credits at Liberty. And in terms of time if you really wanted you could take all 16 credits in one term. Don't recommend unless you have enough time to dedicate to 16 credits. But even doing it in 2 terms would still be quicker than Liberty.

Also Liberty has a rule that 50% of the AOS must be earned at Liberty, so it might be more than 30 credits. Plus you have to do Bible classes. Taking 16 credits at TESU just seems like a smarter move for your situation.
I'd probably also look at EC.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
TESU is a brick & mortar university in New Jersey. Of course they have classes! As does Excelsior and COSC.
(10-03-2020, 03:10 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Yes, they are actual courses at TESU. At TESU, you need 6 already (Capstone & Cornerstone). The credits aren't that much more. Liberty has undergraduate rates at $390 for full-time and $455 for part time. TESU is $399 for NJ residents and $519 otherwise. Unless you take 3 or more classes (9 credits) in a term then it's a flat $3579 for NJ residents or $4639 for everyone else. If you take 4 classes in a single term, you still pay $4639 and your per-credit cost drops to $397. You would only need to do this twice to more than cover the minimum requirements and get your tuition waiver. To take full advantage of the flat-rate tuition, I'd suggest that you do Term 1: Cornerstone + 3 other classes. Term 2: Capstone + 2 or 3 other classes. Residency covered, cost is less than 30 credits at Liberty.

30 credits at Liberty = $11,700 + $199 technology fee per semester + an additional $20 to $200+ fee PER COURSE (https://www.liberty.edu/student-financia...120-UG.pdf)

Residency at TESU = $9278 for 2 terms.

As stated, Liberty will charge me $250 per credit, with military discount. So this changes the numbers, maybe makes them approx even (incl. the course fees you mentioned), but more credits over longer period, so less out of my pocket (with FAFSA).

Thanks for  the link to the fees page. I hadn't seen that.
Working towards:
You didn't mention a military discount. However, TESU also has a military discount of $250 per credit. https://www.tesu.edu/military
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
(10-03-2020, 04:18 PM)natshar Wrote: Also Liberty has a rule that 50% of the AOS must be earned at Liberty, so it might be more than 30 credits. Plus you have to do Bible classes. Taking 16 credits at TESU just seems like a smarter move for your situation.

(I found a LU Communications degree where I can use my business courses as electives and take classes I'll enjoy more in the AOS.)

AOS, if that's the same as "Major", at Liberty is 36 credits. So half is 18 credits. Otherwise, if AOS is what they call "Cognate", that's only 9. So either way, it wouldn't be more than 30. Although, thanks for that detail. The headline is attractive "Transfer up to 90 credits", whereas the restrictions seem to be hidden in the details.

For me, the Bible courses aren't a problem at all--more like an opportunity.

(10-06-2020, 01:06 PM)rachel83az Wrote: You didn't mention a military discount. However, TESU also has a military discount of $250 per credit. https://www.tesu.edu/military

Oh I see now. I mentioned lower rates for veterans, but apparently omitted the actual rate ($250).

I didn't know about the discount at TESU. Thanks.
Working towards:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PUG IT transfer credits BritStudent 2 202 02-22-2024, 07:24 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Schools that accept ACE credits and allow 90cr in transfer bjcheung77 87 40,111 01-30-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: inor
  Liberty University indigoshuffle 8 765 01-16-2024, 11:47 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TAMUC Org Leadership-six UL credits needed StoicJ 20 2,463 12-13-2023, 09:11 PM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  List of RA brick and mortar schools that accept 75% of credits from SDC, Sophia, SL ausernameisneeded 19 1,831 09-30-2023, 02:30 PM
Last Post: ausernameisneeded
  Does CUNY SPS allow transfer credits after enrollment? MyRightHandIsBi 11 894 09-13-2023, 08:54 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  SNHU Transfer New Credits after Enrollment - Can or Can't? berlinerd 3 979 08-17-2023, 11:54 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Does Ana G. Mendez University accept ACE credits ande 7 671 07-11-2023, 02:07 PM
  New Liberty University Online Degree plan LevelUP 3 1,157 06-15-2023, 05:47 PM
  (Possibly) cheapest credits for TESU Comp Sci degree rachel83az 11 3,072 01-29-2023, 10:53 PM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree