Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Capella University FlexPath?
(11-17-2020, 10:23 AM)nomaduser Wrote: So, it could be that NAU competency-based program is a better deal? I'm not sure. I will figure out if other competency-based programs are quiz-based. 4 to 5 page-long APA style writing assignment can take longer than a day... I can challenge on that but it won't be too easy. You'll have to read through reading materials provided in their online library system to add citations in your writing.

I think I remember reading a few reviews of NAU's CBE options that said it was very writing heavy. Purdue Global's ExcelTrack appears to be similar, mostly written projects for each module (judging by their Open College selection at least).

WGU is a solid mix of exams & written projects (approximately 60/40 split for undergrad, depends on program).

I also know the University of Wisconsin Flexible Option program (at least the business one) is all project-based, very little if any exams.

Edit - the Snow College associate's degree program is also pretty balanced, with some written work (a lot of assignments looked like 100-500 words) & exams throughout. You can preview their LMS w/ actual courses on the website.

Makes me wonder what a FlexPath math course would look like, I know you can have problem sets as "written work"... but that's still not a "4-5 page APA style" type of thing.
[-] The following 2 users Like dbinghamjr's post:
  • DegreeBy2023, nomaduser
If most of competency-based programs are in this way, then Capella is still a good deal.

Have you guys tried University of Mary Hardin-Baylor and University of Maine at Presque Isle ??
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Co...d_Programs

They may have quiz-based courses? I will ask them
Walden University, Brandman U are writing-based too. It looks like all competency-based programs are kinda in this way.
(11-17-2020, 10:56 AM)nomaduser Wrote: If most of competency-based programs are in this way, then Capella is still a good deal.

Have you guys tried University of Mary Hardin-Baylor and University of Maine at Presque Isle ??
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Co...d_Programs

They may have quiz-based courses? I will ask them

I attend UMPI and most courses - more than 2/3 - require a paper/written project. Writing is quite normal is CBE programs. If you have any desire or need to attend graduate school the writing will help. Lots of writing in grad school.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • nomaduser
Capella FlexPath won't work for me.
I failed their reading assessment exam. It's kinda strange. I think I got maybe 80/100 score but they said that's not enough to get me into the FlexPath program. They said I should earn 12 credits with 2.75+ GPA through their GuidedPath program before I can enroll into FlexPath.
It costs $310+ per credit at GuidedPath. So that means, you'll be charged over $4,700 before being able to enroll into FlexPath.
That's a deal breaker. I think I will try to get into NAU's competency-based program instead.

If you want to try Capella, make sure you get 100/100 score from their reading assessment exam.
Just some info on NAU if you're still thinking about going there. I'm a current student and one of my current classes has four competencies to complete. All competencies require a discussion board or assignment (400 words), an essay, and post-test. The essays for this particular class are three 2500 word essays and one 750 word essay. The post-tests are 15-20 short answer questions (they like you to write around 4-5 sentences on average per question). 

So yeah, there's a lot of writing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mrd385's post:
  • nomaduser
(11-30-2020, 07:27 PM)mrd385 Wrote: Just some info on NAU if you're still thinking about going there. I'm a current student and one of my current classes has four competencies to complete. All competencies require a discussion board or assignment (400 words), an essay, and post-test. The essays for this particular class are three 2500 word essays and one 750 word essay. The post-tests are 15-20 short answer questions (they like you to write around 4-5 sentences on average per question). 

So yeah, there's a lot of writing.

Thanks for your response.
So how long does it take to finish a single course at NAU competency-based program?
I already applied to NAU. I think I will be accepted because they don't require any assessment exam and I have GPA of 3.0.
nomaduser

Did you ever figure out where to go? Just wondering what you ended up doing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  American Public University? nomaduser 36 3,439 04-16-2024, 12:15 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Prompt Engineering Course by Vanderbilt University on Coursera LevelUP 2 315 03-23-2024, 05:28 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,716 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,762 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 741 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of Idaho acquiring University of Phoenix bjcheung77 10 1,309 03-04-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,738 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  LLB University of London Online newdegree 1 400 02-28-2024, 01:46 PM
Last Post: freeloader
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 565 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Metropolia University Common Problems Resolved mariobros1985 21 2,594 02-24-2024, 06:39 AM
Last Post: therightstuff