Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Potentially rising prices at Eastern University (MS in Data Science)
I was told by someone at Eastern University that the cost of their MS in Data Science program, "has the potential to increase after this academic year", but, "they do not anticipate a large increase".

I don't know if it is possible to "lock in" a price since they do not charge the full program price up-font. From what I understand, you have to pay at the beginning of every new 7 week term. Again, I am not sure if the price can be locked-in?

I will be using a Federal Student Loan to pay for my classes at the beginning. It sounds like I will need to resubmit FAFSA forms every 7 week term period? Is this right? 

Does anyone here have any experience using a federal student loan with Eastern University specific to one of their graduate programs?
Currently working on:  Capstone

Eastern University - (9 of 10 Courses Completed) (27 Credits)
Master's in Data Science

Western Governors University (WGU) - Completed in 2020.
Bachelor of Science, Business - Information Technology Management

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
SOPHIA (21 courses, 57 cr) 
Study.com (18 courses, 54 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
Eastern University (9 courses, 27 cr)
You file a FAFSA once a year. It's good for the entire academic year.
With most schools, you cannot lock in pricing - unless they offer that specifically (some schools do give a "this price is set for 4 years" deals).

FAFSA is a once-a-year thing.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(11-12-2020, 11:36 AM)ss20ts Wrote: You file a FAFSA once a year. It's good for the entire academic year.

I see, thanks for the reply.

(11-12-2020, 01:44 PM)dfrecore Wrote: With most schools, you cannot lock in pricing - unless they offer that specifically (some schools do give a "this price is set for 4 years" deals).

FAFSA is a once-a-year thing.

I see, thanks for responding. It is good to see you on this site still! Thank you again for helping me with my undergrad degree plan!

Master's in Data Science

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
FAFSA is done once per year, like others have stated.
Master of Science (M.S.) in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics (2023)
Duke University | The Fuqua School of Business

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Management (2019)
Southeastern Oklahoma State University | The John Massey School of Business

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology (2015)
East Central University | The College of Health Sciences

Accumulated Credit: Undergraduate - 126 Hours, Graduate - 83 Hours
(11-12-2020, 11:33 AM)AwardTour Wrote: I was told by someone at Eastern University that the cost of their MS in Data Science program, "has the potential to increase after this academic year", but, "they do not anticipate a large increase".

I don't know if it is possible to "lock in" a price since they do not charge the full program price up-font. From what I understand, you have to pay at the beginning of every new 7 week term. Again, I am not sure if the price can be locked-in?

I will be using a Federal Student Loan to pay for my classes at the beginning. It sounds like I will need to resubmit FAFSA forms every 7 week term period? Is this right? 

Does anyone here have any experience using a federal student loan with Eastern University specific to one of their graduate programs?

Looks like they held off tuition hikes for at least another year. 2021-2022 tuition rates holding steady per:
https://www.eastern.edu/sites/default/fi...212022.pdf
(03-04-2021, 02:24 PM)ifomonay Wrote:
(11-12-2020, 11:33 AM)AwardTour Wrote: I was told by someone at Eastern University that the cost of their MS in Data Science program, "has the potential to increase after this academic year", but, "they do not anticipate a large increase".

Looks like they held off tuition hikes for at least another year. 2021-2022 tuition rates holding steady per:
I noticed this is your first post on this website. Are you currently in a program with Eastern University yourself? If so, is it the MS in Data Science program?

Either way, thanks for the update on tuition costs.

Master's in Data Science

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
(03-04-2021, 04:00 PM)AwardTour Wrote:

I noticed this is your first post on this website. Are you currently in a program with Eastern University yourself? If so, is it the MS in Data Science program?

I am not currently in a program at Eastern. Fast forward three days from now, I'll be starting the MS in Data Science on Monday.  Smile The 2021 Spring 2 term starts, and I'll be attending the first course in the program. I am excited and nervous at the same time (Eleverson's experience).
I chose Eastern mostly because of the cost. The only other schools that have $10k degrees are GT MSA, and UT Austin MSDS (as far as I know). I ruled out GT because I don't want "analytics" in my degree title, and I don't want to take business courses. UT is rather intriguing. But their website says that course material is released weekly. That might mean group assignments, etc, which means synchronizing with others, and I have no time for that.  I like the self-paced format that Eastern offers. I'm a working professional, so I don't need to learn how to work in groups, I just need to learn data science.
I noticed there is a lot of interest in the community on how the courses are at Eastern, so I can be another data point once I start.
Now I'm curious, I've seen your other posts and you mention that you're still deciding. Is Eastern still on your shortlist?
(03-05-2021, 10:44 PM)ifomonay Wrote:
(03-04-2021, 04:00 PM)AwardTour Wrote:

I am not currently in a program at Eastern. Fast forward three days from now, I'll be starting the MS in Data Science on Monday.  Smile The 2021 Spring 2 term starts, and I'll be attending the first course in the program. I am excited and nervous at the same time (Eleverson's experience).
I chose Eastern mostly because of the cost. The only other schools that have $10k degrees are GT MSA, and UT Austin MSDS (as far as I know). I ruled out GT because I don't want "analytics" in my degree title, and I don't want to take business courses. UT is rather intriguing. But their website says that course material is released weekly. That might mean group assignments, etc, which means synchronizing with others, and I have no time for that.  I like the self-paced format that Eastern offers. I'm a working professional, so I don't need to learn how to work in groups, I just need to learn data science.
I noticed there is a lot of interest in the community on how the courses are at Eastern, so I can be another data point once I start.
Now I'm curious, I've seen your other posts and you mention that you're still deciding. Is Eastern still on your shortlist?
Eleverson's posts caused me to take a step back and not pull the trigger immediately. After a little time had passed I then decided to take a second look because of the price. I sent private messages here and on other sites to people asking about their experience with Eastern's MS in Data Science program. This new positive feedback caused me to reconsider everything.

The format of Eastern's classes is appealing to me. I might take a month or two off between certain classes based on travel/job reasons. I can pick everything right back up when I am ready. That is not a problem at Eastern University. With WGU I feel more like time and money are being burned if I cannot take full advantage of each 6 month term. I won't have the chance to truly accelerate and with that the cost advantage of WGU is not there.

I too do not want a degree with "Analytics" in the title which is another reason I am no longer considering WGU. Not doing group projects is plus for me as well at Eastern.

To answer your question, Eastern University is on my shortlist. I will probably begin in the next few months. I have not started yet for a number of reasons. Among those reasons, I wanted to get a few certifications first.

Best of luck to you when you begin here soon. You don't have to review every class here, but it would be nice to hear your thoughts/feedback. When I begin I will try to do the same. If it does not workout then I will not be afraid to publicly share if I have made a bad choice. I will simply cut bait and start over elsewhere.

Master's in Data Science

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
The 2021‐2022 Tuition rates for this program did not increase

I also just gave some feedback on this program under the main thread here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid331826
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • AwardTour

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apollos University - from show clause to closure details bjcheung77 4 214 10 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Phd in environmental science myopenledger 2 98 Yesterday, 11:32 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  MBA Student @ Eastern University – AMA klone 15 1,048 Yesterday, 09:18 AM
Last Post: PaperAssistant
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 3 268 03-23-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Wnt2BLPC
  Robert Cavelier University Journey armstrongsubero 26 1,452 03-19-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  Troy University Master's - $250/credit for military PreLawCoastie 11 546 03-11-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,841 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool
  Hellenic American University MBA: Overview of $3K RA MBA PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 90 13,969 03-06-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: lidel
  Eastern Illinois University. wildebeest 42 6,362 03-04-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  University of Illinois - Urbana Champaign MichaelDoesMarketing 35 3,309 03-03-2024, 04:25 PM
Last Post: rayray1000