Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can a CS degree be transefered to a traditional school to pursue a Masters degree?
Hello everyone,

My question is this:

If you earn a bachelors degree from TESU, say a, computer science degree, can that degree be used to start your Masters degree from a traditional university?
Would the credit source be accepted by the traditional university, for example study.com, how does that work?
That is going to be up to the individual program. If that is your ultimate plan, you should contact a few schools that interest you and ask them. They will probably insist that some key courses are from an RA source. If you know what those courses are in advance then you can properly plan.

This should not discourage you though. You will still be able to get most of the necessary credits from alternative sources to save money.
Like tallpilot mentions, it's up to the school being applied to. I've heard of some courses requiring the grades from the last RA credits, while others will request direct transcripts from the original source of ACE credits. jsd was able to get into the Georgia Tech's Online MS in Cybersecurity with TESU and WGU degrees and has really excelled in their course. From what I remember of this program, it was very popular when it came out and admission was very competitive with a small class size (250) and a very large number of applicants.

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity

One thing coming out of the Covid-19 situation is that a lot of schools are focused more on remote learning programs and I feel that self paced study and online learning are taken much more seriously as normal offerings of B&M schools, so I could see that being less of a stumbling block for MS degrees.
In progress:
TESU BSBA-CIS (120/120) [Completed, delayed conferral]
TESU BA-COS (117/120)
TESU ASNSM Math (59/61) 
Remaining:
SDC - Systems Analysis, Data Structures, Comp Architecture, Discrete Math, Business Communication
SL Going to try Sophia- Calculus 1
MAT-105 Applied Liberal Arts Mathematics TECEP
CSM Learn
TESU - Cornerstone, Capstone

The short answer is, "Yes". The longer answer is that you don't "transfer" your bachelor's when you apply to a master's program, you simply apply. If your application package is strong enough, you get in, otherwise you don't. A lot of things go into your application, what degree you have, what school you graduated from, your grades, the courses taken, work experience, and the written portion of your app. The stronger the rest of your application is, the less important where you degree is from or where you took your courses.

Now, what may come up is the school wanting you to have certain course prerequisities. I think most schools will be happy if those prereqs appear on your TESU transcript, however, it's possible that you could be asked to supply the original transcript (say from study.com, etc...) and that they would decide that a course you took does not satisfy their prerequisite in which case they may either not admit you or require you to take those prereqs first. The more competitive the program, the pickier they will be.

I generally suggest the following:

If you have your heart set on a particular school/program, then consult with their admissions dept before you go forward. You'll find admissions for grad programs to be much more responsive than you may have experienced at the undergrad level. Ask them specifically about GPA requirements (how many graded credits), and prerequisites.

If you just want to get into some program, then you can likely just move forward with decent confidence that you will be able to find one that will work for you, especially if you have some work experience.

I was able to get accepted to the Georgia Tech online masters of science in CS with my TESU BACS degree. Now, I had 30 years of professional experience, and they may have taken me no matter what degree I had, however many others here have gotten into various MBA and other grad programs with degrees from the Big3.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • ss20ts
(02-26-2021, 12:42 AM)Lightorb333 Wrote: Hello everyone,

My question is this:

If you earn a bachelors degree from TESU, say a, computer science degree, can that degree be used to start your Masters degree from a traditional university?
Would the credit source be accepted by the traditional university, for example study.com, how does that work?

Just subscribing to this thread so I can see updates.
(02-26-2021, 03:37 PM)davewill Wrote: If you have your heart set on a particular school/program, then consult with their admissions dept before you go forward. You'll find admissions for grad programs to be much more responsive than you may have experienced at the undergrad level. Ask them specifically about GPA requirements (how many graded credits), and prerequisites.

I agree that admissions departments for master's programs are much more responsive. I don't why it feels that way, but many will actually respond to your questions via email especially when inquiring about prerequisites. Many schools don't push you really had to take those prereqs at their grad school. At least that's been my experience. they seem to want you full on in the actual program. 
(02-26-2021, 12:42 AM)Lightorb333 Wrote: Hello everyone,

My question is this:

Just for clarification, Lightorb333, what do you consider a traditional university? Do you mean a university that does not accept ACE-recommended credits, or is it something else?
College (146): RA (134), NA (12)
ACE-recommended (105): Sophia (53), Study (28), Google (12), TEEX (10), Institutes (2)
ECTS (69): ENEB (65), LUT (2), XAMK (2)
IN PROGRESS:

Certificate- Google Data Analytics
Bachelor- Cybersecurity Technology (105/120) /
 Organizational Leadership (99/120)
Certification- CompTIA A+
DONE:
Certificate- Google IT Support

Associates- Business Administration /  BoG (History)
Undergrad certificate- Computer Networking
MBA
FWIW, I’m currently attending NYU for an MS in Cybersecurity. I was able to waive three courses (algorithms, OS, networking) since I did my undergrad in CS, and did not face any issues about my alt credits.
BS in Data Science & Analytics and BA in Computer Science and Mathematics at TESU (June 2019 to June 2020)
In-progress:
MS in Cybersecurity at NYU (January 2021 to December 2022?)
MCIT in Information Security and Assurance at NAU (September 2020 to March 2021)
Yes. Your undergrad degree from TESU is regionally accredited and, depending on your program, may have additional accreditation. On your TESU transcript, it will not list Study.com, or SL . . . it simply will say “Intro to accounting CR.” That’s it. So when a grand program reads your transcript all they will see is that you completed the requirements for the undergrad program and the list of classes. But, it all depends on the particular school, and at their discretion, whether you are accepted or not. But there is no question on the legitimacy of your undergrad. TESU is accredited by the same organization that accredits Princeton University, Penn . . . Regional accreditation is the gold standard and that what TESU has. Be proud of your degree from TESU!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jesus is Lord's post:
  • Dorothy44

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Electronics Engineering degree plan advice trailbounder 5 279 03-18-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 236 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Double Degree How To kowenboy 3 236 02-29-2024, 01:05 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Tough Dual Concentration BS Degree Possible??? GameSlinger 7 606 02-28-2024, 04:31 AM
Last Post: GameSlinger
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 568 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  BSBA BS... Dual degree nonsense. CanICode 44 4,755 02-06-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  Bachelor to Masters Data Analytics homeschoolmom1 2 315 01-22-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  What constitutes "new" credits for 2nd degree? homeschoolmom1 8 495 01-15-2024, 10:50 PM
Information Advice on BS CIS Degree plan SaberTronnN 17 1,263 01-12-2024, 11:12 PM
  Degree plans - Second bachelor's degree, ASNSM, and certificates carrythenothing 6 1,533 01-06-2024, 04:49 PM