Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU Evaluation of Outside Credits Term Limit
Hello,

I spoke with a TESU academic advisor about outside credits being accepted, which has an apparent limit of 18 outside credits per term and 90 credits in total. I haven't seen the 18 outside credits, evaluated per term limit, anywhere here so far. I've seen a few posts about the potential costs a single term of tuition, but I just haven't made sense of the full process yet. If that was right then there might be multiple terms required to finish if I'm starting from scratch, even if I had all of the required outside courses already completed via Sophia, CLEP, etc. 

If there are multiple terms required for the degree via examination process through TESU due to that limit of 18 outside credits evaluated per term, then the tuition costs could be quite high overall with those multiple terms, even with flat rate tuition and the residency waiver earned. If each term was loosely around $5,000 then tuition costs could get up to $20,000 if it took up to four terms for the outside credits, per term, to be evaluated at that rate.

Is this similar to any others experiences, or am I way off? Is there a way to hack that process if that is correct and have all previously completed courses transferred in at one time to take advantage the cost of a single term of tuition? I.e. plan out the entire degree and take its required courses by examination before enrolling and somehow have them all transferred in together. If it's possible, is it basically required to take all outside credits before ever enrolling to take advantage of the best possible price?

Thanks for reading.
Current: UMPI YourPace competency-based BABA, Management & Leadership Concentration, Project Management and Management of Information Systems Minors. Starting with 15 RA credits previously earned in community college. Took the CSM Learn course. Now going through Sophia courses.
Goal: Walden TEMPO competency-based MBA.
Timeline: Started planning mid 2021. Finish both, Jan 2023. A year and a half total, including planning. Started planning on TESU, but was advised towards UMPI to take advantage of financial aid. I'm now excited to finish completely competency-based.
Fun fact: I sometimes use TV as a productivity toolOne episode per chapter, load of dishes, or basket of laundry!
Thanks to everyone, and happy studying!  Smile
I've never seen or heard of such a limit at TESU. Over the past month I've sent in far more than 18 credits successfully.
TESU Class of 2024 BSBA-CIS+GM, BSIT, ASNSM-CS+Math, AAS-GEN
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
[-] The following 1 user Likes jch's post:
  • schristian10
It sounds to me like you are confusing TESU's required 24 regional credits with 18 outside credits.
The TESU advisors, unfortunately, often don't know what they are talking about. Either that or they do a very poor job of explaining how things work.

It is possible that they are planning on introducing such a limit in the future but I do not think so. A new term starts at TESU every single month, though, so you'd still be able to transfer in 200+ credits over the span of a year.

TESU currently:
  • Has NO monthly/yearly enrollment fees - beyond paying for the medical terminology TECEP (and that's not required, it's simply the cheapest way) once a year to remain an active enrolled student
  • Allows up to 90 alternate credits (Sophia, Study.com, Davar, etc.) per degree
  • Allows a further 24 credits from RA sources
  • Does NOT charge additional fees (either per credit or per class) for transferring in credits from outside sources
  • REQUIRES SOS-110 + the capstone (LIB-495 for a BA or BUS-421 for a BSBA) to get a Bachelor's degree
  • If you do not take at least 16 credits with TESU itself, pay about $3k for a residency waiver.
If you take 1 year to get a degree and you only take the bare minimum classes at TESU, your approximate costs for an "average" degree would be:
  • Tuition: $519 x 6 credits = $3114
  • Application fee: $50
  • Medical Terminology TECEP (to become fully enrolled): $50
  • Residency waiver fee: $3192
  • Graduation fee: $298
Total: $6704

Additional costs include:
  • 24 RA credits @ approx $50/credit (TEL/ONU/TECEP): $1200
  • Sophia, 3 months (approx 70-80 credits): $237
  • Study.com, 24 credits - 8 courses (some degrees require more, some degrees require less): $800
Additional costs total: $2237

Total cost for an "average" TESU degree: approximately $9k. But this will vary heavily depending on personal circumstances and the degree(s) being sought.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 5 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • mahaganapati, manmanthegr8, park0902, schristian10, TwinMom
(06-22-2021, 07:03 PM)rachel83az Wrote: TESU currently:

[*]REQUIRES SOS-110 + the capstone (LIB-495 for a BA or BUS-421 for a BSBA) to get a Bachelor's degree

Total cost for an "average" TESU degree: approximately $9k. But this will vary heavily depending on personal circumstances and the degree(s) being sought.
[*]
This will take some time to absorb. Thank you so much. The advisor said the SOS-110 course was recommended because it will help anyone get use to things if they've been away for a while, but never said it was required. You're a life saver.
Current: UMPI YourPace competency-based BABA, Management & Leadership Concentration, Project Management and Management of Information Systems Minors. Starting with 15 RA credits previously earned in community college. Took the CSM Learn course. Now going through Sophia courses.
Timeline: Started planning mid 2021. Finish both, Jan 2023. A year and a half total, including planning. Started planning on TESU, but was advised towards UMPI to take advantage of financial aid. I'm now excited to finish completely competency-based.
Fun fact: I sometimes use TV as a productivity toolOne episode per chapter, load of dishes, or basket of laundry!
It's highly recommended as a first college course but many people on the forum save it to take with the capstone.

While it's not accepted for credit at TESU, something like the College Readiness course at Sophia helps to serve the same purpose to get you (back) into the way college/university works.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • schristian10
Hi schristian10, you might want to decide on the degree first. It's not necessary if you're caught up on either/or, such as a BALS or BSBA. You may want to do the general education courses first and then decide. You also want to see if you're going for the residency waiver fee or if you're going to take 16-18 residency credits. Do you have tuition assistance or reimbursement? Are you an active service person? Do you have previous credits or know another language? Providing more details would help us create a plan of attack and help you navigate the world of alternative education easier...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
In addition, if you happen to need more credits on your transcript for some reason (accountants, for instance, need a certain number of credits to become a CPA) then you can still transfer those to TESU and they will still go on your transcript. But they will go at the bottom of your evaluation and not be used towards your degree. Even though TESU limits alt-credits to 90 per degree and I am way, way over that limit, they are still evaluating and bringing in alt credits for me.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • jch, schristian10
(06-22-2021, 07:54 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hi schristian10, you might want to decide on the degree first.  It's not necessary if you're caught up on either/or, such as a BALS or BSBA.  You may want to do the general education courses first and then decide.  You also want to see if you're going for the residency waiver fee or if you're going to take 16-18 residency credits.  Do you have tuition assistance or reimbursement?  Are you an active service person?  Do you have previous credits or know another language?  Providing more details would help us create a plan of attack and help you navigate the world of alternative education easier...

Thanks for your reply.

I'm going for a BSBA and my current area of study is General Management because the advisor said the most amount of credits are transferable to the masters program. I saw another post of yours recommending the BSBA but with a finance focus and a (Walden University) competency program for the MBA, which I also hope to do the latter as well now. You are a legend on this forum. Walden also accepts transfer credits and the four transferable courses in the TESU Bachelor's to Master's program are 700 level courses that I'm sure Walden would consider taking as well. Do you think it would be worth it take the four extra credit-by-examination courses instead and then start the MBA at WU with no transferable credits from TESU? I apologize I have not researched this myself since it may be far off in the future. So far, I'm planning on getting started with the general education, but the advisor threw me for a loop and made me question trying this again.

I have 15 credits, and one class on my transcript is a D (an art class) from when I dropped out of school about six years ago. I was thinking about having it expunged until I saw a post that said it wouldn't effect me at TESU, and that they would still accept that grade.

I have taken a 7-hour finance course provided by my investment brokerage, and I also have a real estate license in two non-New Jersey states.
Additional costs include:
  • 24 RA credits @ approx $50/credit (TEL/ONU/TECEP): $1200
  • Sophia, 3 months (approx 70-80 credits): $237
  • Study.com, 24 credits - 8 courses (some degrees require more, some degrees require less): $800
Additional costs total: $2237

Would you tell me what TEL and ONU stand for?

Have you heard of any others completing a BSBA in one term if the 90 transferable credits are finished prior to enrolling and transferred in after enrolling? Do you know what would all have to be done in that one term if all transferrable credits were finished?

Thank you!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 695 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,975 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Debate/speech competition transfer credits? Fave advisors? PLEX 4 163 03-20-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: PLEX
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 258 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 237 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 267 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,156 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 391 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP