Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One of the Big 3 or UMPI for business degree?
Hi, I am going to be getting my bachelors in business management (I want to specialize in Logistics) and I plan to start with Sophia, then study .com and any other ACE classes. I've been reading so much over the last few days I don't know anymore. Which school of the big 3 and UMPI would be best for this degree? I know it comes down to personal preference but some things I read made it seem like Excelsior might not be best (that is my top choice but I am willing to change). Also which of these schools has proctored classes/exams? Thank you Smile
Ah yes, this is a hard to answer question, it all depends on what your current scenario/situation is like.  Stick to your current plan as the Sophia.org & Study.com combo is the way to go.  You've decided on the degree, but not the school, so take courses that you know will go towards each of the 3-4 institutions that is on your list.  You may want to review this link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid340713

Note: All providers will require proctoring of some sort or another.  It may be best to provide us more details, as the information you provided is much too "basic/generic".   Which state are you in?  Do you have any credits, certs, associates degrees, etc?  Married, kids, other commitments?  Are you active/in service or a vet?  Age, working full time/part time, unemployed?  Do you have a budget/funding like a "life long learning plan" or tuition assistance/reimbursement?
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • TPG
UMPI has a Supply Chain Management degree coming in August.

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...nt-now-out

If you want to concentrate on Logistics, I think that this is EXACTLY the degree that you want! If you instead decided to go with a general BSBA from any of the Big 3 because you didn't want to do a competency-based degree for some reason:

COSC - Requires 30 RA credits; 24 can come from another school but you must take 6 with them (the capstone & cornerstone). They do accept ACE sources but only from a limited list of providers. Thankfully, SDC & Sophia are on that list of accepted providers. You need 30 UL credits for one of their degrees.

EC - Does not restrict the number of ACE credits you can use. Does, however, require 30 UL credits. Accepts a wider number of sources, though, so you can use places like Coopersmith for UL credit. Although they only require 7 credits to be taken through them (capstone, cornerstone, info literacy), it is impossible to get a BSBA entirely through alt credits. You must take extra courses with them.

TESU - Like COSC, requires 30 RA credits; 24 can come from another school but you must take the capstone & cornerstone with them. A degree requires about half the UL credits that the other schools require. While they do have "Operations Management" as a concentration option, you can't get the required courses easily/cheaply. General Management is possible. They have an expensive residency waiver that you must pay unless you take at least 16 credits with them.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • Bachelorsat25, TPG
UMPI is going to be offering a BA in Business Administration with a concentration in Supply Chain Management which is exactly what you'll need for logistics. The degree begins in August. In the meantime, I recommend taking the following courses then applying to UMPI:

InstantCert
American Government
Spanish 1
Managerial Accounting
Principles of Marketing

Sophia
Accounting
Macroeconomics
Microeconomics
Introduction to Sociology
Introduction to Psychology
Ancient Greek Philosophers
Introduction to Ethics
College Algebra
Introduction to Statistics
Human Biology
Environmental Science
Art History 1 & 2
US History 1 & 2
Approaches to Studying Religions
Introduction to Business
Business Law
Introduction to Information Technology
Visual Communications

Study.com
Biology 107 Intro to Biology with Lab
And another course because you get 2 classes for the monthly fee. Here's the list of what transfer and how:

https://study.com/college/school/umpi.html

Be cautious with UL courses because you have to complete a specific number of UL courses in the major and out of the major at UMPI.

If you have any college credits post them and I'll let you know how they'll help you. Don't take any English Comp classes on Sophia. You want them from UMPI because they're MUCH easier and faster. It's 1 paper at UMPI versus 5 and 7 on Sophia.

Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.
[-] The following 3 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • ashkir, Bachelorsat25, TPG
TESU and COSC don't have a concentration in Logistics: EC does, but you can't complete it via alt-credit. So, you'd have to take a minimum of 3, and maybe 4 courses through EC directly, making it fairly expensive (tuition there would be $5850 if you only needed 2 courses in addition to the cornerstone, info Lit, & capstone; but 3 courses would cost $7140; and 4 would be $8430).

Therefore, I'm going to suggest UMPI as your best bet; you follow the plan for the BABA, getting as many credits as possible via 1) Sophia, and 2) Study.com; and then take the minor/concentration and any courses you can't complete via Study.com for the core through UMPI.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • TPG
(07-10-2021, 01:16 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Ah yes, this is a hard to answer question, it all depends on what your current scenario/situation is like.  Stick to your current plan as the Sophia.org & Study.com combo is the way to go.  You've decided on the degree, but not the school, so take courses that you know will go towards each of the 3-4 institutions that is on your list.  You may want to review this link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid340713

Note: All providers will require proctoring of some sort or another.  It may be best to provide us more details, as the information you provided is much too "basic/generic".   Which state are you in?  Do you have any credits, certs, associates degrees, etc?  Married, kids, other commitments?  Are you active/in service or a vet?  Age, working full time/part time, unemployed?  Do you have a budget/funding like a "life long learning plan" or tuition assistance/reimbursement?

I live in PA.
I only just started taking classes. Like I did one on Sophia but no other college credits
I am 36, married, no kids, I work full time but I make my own schedule so it can be worked around classes.
I will be applying for grants/financial aid,

I hope this answers your questions. Thanks

(07-10-2021, 10:47 AM)ss20ts Wrote: UMPI is going to be offering a BA in Business Administration with a concentration in Supply Chain Management which is exactly what you'll need for logistics. The degree begins in August. In the meantime, I recommend taking the following courses then applying to UMPI:

InstantCert
American Government
Spanish 1
Managerial Accounting
Principles of Marketing

Sophia
Accounting
Macroeconomics
Microeconomics
Introduction to Sociology
Introduction to Psychology
Ancient Greek Philosophers
Introduction to Ethics
College Algebra
Introduction to Statistics
Human Biology
Environmental Science
Art History 1 & 2
US History 1 & 2
Approaches to Studying Religions
Introduction to Business
Business Law
Introduction to Information Technology
Visual Communications

Study.com
Biology 107 Intro to Biology with Lab
And another course because you get 2 classes for the monthly fee. Here's the list of what transfer and how:

https://study.com/college/school/umpi.html

Be cautious with UL courses because you have to complete a specific number of UL courses in the major and out of the major at UMPI.

If you have any college credits post them and I'll let you know how they'll help you. Don't take any English Comp classes on Sophia. You want them from UMPI because they're MUCH easier and faster. It's 1 paper at UMPI versus 5 and 7 on Sophia.

Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

WOW! Thank you for this reply! I just started my sophia classes so I only have completed environmental science (which I really liked!) 
I did my trial on sophia on the english and I saw all the papers and I was dreading that! lol Thanks for the heads up. 
If I contact UMPI or when I enroll, they can tell me what UL classes I need to take with them to graduate? I mean, can I figure that out before I enroll? It might take me awhile to get thru these and I want to do as many as possible before enrolling. 
Thanks for all the infomation
UMPI will provide you a complete audit of what classes they need you to complete for your degree. They also provide all the classes unlike the Big 3.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ashkir's post:
  • TPG
It's tough to be specifically in Logistics. Supply Chain Management or Operations Management are definitely the closest concentrations. I did my BSBA in Operations Management with TESU, and I had very little Logistics. It was mainly strategic planning, inventory management and production/manufacturing scheduling and processes. I don't know what classes UMPI will have available for their concentration.

I would take a look at the ASCM CLTD certification in addition to whatever degree you decide to go with, if you want to focus squarely on logistics. It's fairly new, so the ROI might not be there yet, but it's definitely something that would be a plus for the companies that are looking for someone certified in it.
In Progress: MBA - HAUniv, Anticipated 2024
Completed: BSBA OpMgmt - TESU June 2021

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
GR - HAUniv: 9 credits
I just looked at UMPI's SCM concentration. It very similar to what I did with TESU's operations management, although of course a much larger AoS compared to TESU.

BUS 218: Materials and Inventory Management
BUS 231: Total Quality Management
BUS 240: Change Management
BUS 323: Fundamentals of Supply Chain and Logistics
BUS 363: Sourcing Analysis
BUS 412: Supplier Relationship Management
BUS 415: Operations Management
BUS 452: Channel Management

It definitely seems like a really good plan if you're set on Logistics, I would go with it.
In Progress: MBA - HAUniv, Anticipated 2024
Completed: BSBA OpMgmt - TESU June 2021

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
GR - HAUniv: 9 credits

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 30 393 13 minutes ago
Last Post: crowbird
  Educational Degree Planning Help nhmimi 0 21 1 hour ago
Last Post: nhmimi
  Potential Degree Input, Please curious 4 130 11 hours ago
Last Post: curious
  Dr Tree Man - BA in Psychology - UMPI YourPace Dr Tree Man 10 194 Yesterday, 07:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree Planning- MS degree dodek101 7 271 Yesterday, 12:01 AM
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 22 1,471 03-26-2024, 11:54 PM
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 28 1,850 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM
  Masters Degree in Texas Melhux 3 174 03-26-2024, 05:45 AM
  Almost 40 year old with foreign BA in English degree and Santa Monica College Cert KMcLean 12 950 03-25-2024, 08:12 PM
  IT Degree Options Advice theredwallflower 4 560 03-23-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: theredwallflower