Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help planning my degree
Want to chime in with a piece of input given that you already have extensive accounting experience and are looking to get a degree in the field: look up how your classes will match against the CPA's education requirements. I think you'll find Washington to be the fastest way to get licensed since you can use your pre-existing work experience but you may need a local one depending on the exact nature of your current work.

I say this as someone that paid zero attention to this in undergrad and then went back to clean it up 12 years later and could've saved himself a bit of trouble with some forethought. You state that you prefer taking tests to papers and already have extensive work experience so I expect the exams would be no trouble for you.
(09-12-2021, 03:17 PM)AlmostCPA Wrote: Want to chime in with a piece of input given that you already have extensive accounting experience and are looking to get a degree in the field: look up how your classes will match against the CPA's education requirements.  I think you'll find Washington to be the fastest way to get licensed since you can use your pre-existing work experience but you may need a local one depending on the exact nature of your current work.

I say this as someone that paid zero attention to this in undergrad and then went back to clean it up 12 years later and could've saved himself a bit of trouble with some forethought.  You state that you prefer taking tests to papers and already have extensive work experience so I expect the exams would be no trouble for you.

Hi, thanks, that's a very interesting point. Why is Washington easier than other states?  The experience requirements? Do you have any tips regarding CPA in Illinois?
(09-17-2021, 01:34 PM)booklovingirl Wrote:
(09-12-2021, 03:17 PM)AlmostCPA Wrote: Want to chime in with a piece of input given that you already have extensive accounting experience and are looking to get a degree in the field: look up how your classes will match against the CPA's education requirements.  I think you'll find Washington to be the fastest way to get licensed since you can use your pre-existing work experience but you may need a local one depending on the exact nature of your current work.

I say this as someone that paid zero attention to this in undergrad and then went back to clean it up 12 years later and could've saved himself a bit of trouble with some forethought.  You state that you prefer taking tests to papers and already have extensive work experience so I expect the exams would be no trouble for you.

Hi, thanks, that's a very interesting point. Why is Washington easier than other states?  The experience requirements? Do you have any tips regarding CPA in Illinois?

One thing to be careful of; does your target CPA board accept online degrees which include credit via CLEPS and ACE and also ungraded credits. 

Most do, but there are some weird ones that don't. Like Texas is real strict on their requirements.

I dropped an email to my CPA board asking them if my degree and approach was valid (including AP, CLEPs, ACE etc) and they were OK with it.

You would need to email the IL CPA board for their thoughts. But as long as you're not in Tx, you should be OK.
Okay so after going through the recommendations and the posts on this forum, I think this is my new plan. I'd appreciate any feedback or assistance to see if I have the Gen Ed right, etc. Its 13 classes with UMPI, but I think they will require all of them for the BA in Accounting.  If anyone knows if there are alternatives for any of the UMPI classes, I would like to cut it down if possible. 

Thanks in advance! 

Here's my list: 

Sophia: Credits
Accounting 3
Business Law 3
Introduction to Business 3
Principles of Finance 3
Project Management 3
Introduction to Information Technology 3
Introduction to Relational Databases 3
Introduction to Web Development 3
Communication at Work 3
The Power of Persuasion 3
Visual Communications 3
Ancient Greek Philosophers 3
Approaches to Studying Religions 3
Art History I 3
Introduction to Ethics 3
College Algebra 3
Introduction to Statistics 3
Introduction to Sociology: Embracing Diversity and Collaboration 3
Macroeconomics 3
Microeconomics 3
U.S. History I 3
Sophia Credit total: 63

Study.com
Introduction to Biology with Lab 3
BUS 348: Cost Accounting 3
BUS 361: Intermediate Accounting I 3
BUS 362: Intermediate Accounting II 3
BUS 415: Operations Management 3
BUS 464: Advanced Accounting 3
Bus 307 Organizational Behavior 3
Study.com Credit total: 21

InstantCert
Managerial Accounting 3
American Government 3
InstantCert Credit total: 6

College of the Desert (CA Community College)
BUAC 4A: Individual Income Tax (I need this one for CA Tax certificate) 4

UMPI
BUS 200: Intermediate Business Computing 3
BUS 242: Spreadsheet Applications 3
BUS 325: Financial Management 3
BUS 352: Business Law II 3
BUS 376: Independent Auditing 3
BUS 377: Federal Taxation I 3
BUS 378: Federal Taxation II 3
BUS 440: Business Analytics 3
BUS 466: Governmental and Not-for-Profit Accounting 3
BUS 469: Strategic Professional Communication 3
BUS 489: Business Policy & Strategy 3
English Composition I 3
English Composition II 3
UMPI Credit Total: 39

Total Credits 133
(09-25-2021, 06:13 PM)booklovingirl Wrote: Okay so after going through the recommendations and the posts on this forum, I think this is my new plan. I'd appreciate any feedback or assistance to see if I have the Gen Ed right, etc. Its 13 classes with UMPI, but I think they will require all of them for the BA in Accounting.  If anyone knows if there are alternatives for any of the UMPI classes, I would like to cut it down if possible. 

Thanks in advance! 

Here's my list: 

Accounting 3
Business Law 3
Principles of Finance 3
Project Management 3
Communication at Work 3
Visual Communications 3
Art History I 3
Introduction to Ethics 3
College Algebra 3
Macroeconomics 3
Microeconomics 3
U.S. History I 3

Study.com

InstantCert
Managerial Accounting 3
American Government 3

UMPI
English Composition I 3
English Composition II 3

Total Credits 133

I'm not sure why you're choosing to take more credits than you need, so I'd relook at that.

I also only know how Study.com courses come in, so not sure if ICC Managerial accounting meets the requirements; same with Accounting, Finance, Business Law at Sophia.

It doesn't look like you have a Physical Science, I'd take Environmental Science at Sophia.

It doesn't look like you have a foreign language, I'd take Spanish at ICC.

Not sure if you've covered COM210: Organizational Comm, if Sophia doesn't cover it, I'd do BUS 313: Organizational Communication at Study.com.

I'd create a spreadsheet showing all of the requirements, and then put in each of the courses you plan on taking to show what it's covering.  It's much easier to do that than list by provider/school, because that really doesn't make sure that the requirements are covered (plus again, you're taking more courses than you need to).

An additional course to consider:
BUSx221: Business Information Systems - UExcel exam $110 + $55
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • ISKBizz15, Pikachu
(09-25-2021, 08:28 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I'm not sure why you're choosing to take more credits than you need, so I'd relook at that.

I also only know how Study.com courses come in, so not sure if ICC Managerial accounting meets the requirements; same with Accounting, Finance, Business Law at Sophia.

It doesn't look like you have a Physical Science, I'd take Environmental Science at Sophia.

It doesn't look like you have a foreign language, I'd take Spanish at ICC.

Not sure if you've covered COM210: Organizational Comm, if Sophia doesn't cover it, I'd do BUS 313: Organizational Communication at Study.com.

I'd create a spreadsheet showing all of the requirements, and then put in each of the courses you plan on taking to show what it's covering.  It's much easier to do that than list by provider/school, because that really doesn't make sure that the requirements are covered (plus again, you're taking more courses than you need to).

An additional course to consider:
BUSx221: Business Information Systems - UExcel exam $110 + $55

Thanks!  

Good point on the language requirement -- does anyone know of an easy French credit course? 

I saw on this forum somewhere that Sophia Communication at Work comes in for Organizational Comm?
If you already know French, take the CLEP or one of the ACTFL exams. If you don't know French, just do Spanish at InstantCert and learn French on your own later.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
2 monitors is always good to have. French in the US is really a wasted language, Spanish is better due to population. If not fluent I'm guessing InstantCert would be the best option, if fluent ACFTL is the true best option.
(09-25-2021, 06:13 PM)booklovingirl Wrote: Okay so after going through the recommendations and the posts on this forum, I think this is my new plan. I'd appreciate any feedback or assistance to see if I have the Gen Ed right, etc. Its 13 classes with UMPI, but I think they will require all of them for the BA in Accounting.  If anyone knows if there are alternatives for any of the UMPI classes, I would like to cut it down if possible. 

Thanks in advance! 

Here's my list: 

Accounting 3
Business Law 3
Principles of Finance 3
Project Management 3
Communication at Work 3
Visual Communications 3
Art History I 3
Introduction to Ethics 3
College Algebra 3
Macroeconomics 3
Microeconomics 3
U.S. History I 3

Study.com

InstantCert
Managerial Accounting 3
American Government 3

UMPI
English Composition I 3
English Composition II 3

Total Credits 133

Why are you taking so many credits on Sophia? You don't need many of them. It's 120 credits for the degree. The courses you will need to take at UMPI, I don't see available elsewhere. They're mostly UL courses. The exception is English Comp. Sophia has them both but they are MUCH FASTER and EASIER at UMPI. I took Eng Comp 2 on Sophia and dropped it. I was 2 months in and still not able to submit my final paper. You write 5-7 papers for Eng Comp 2 on Sophia. You write 1 short paper at UMPI for Eng Comp 2. I finished the entire course in 3 days - including the rough draft and final version of the Final Assessment. 

I wouldn't take Principles of Finance from Sophia. It will only transfer as a general elective. You don't need these either:
Project Management 3

You do need Environmental Science, Human Biology, and Introduction to Psychology from Sophia.
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • ISKBizz15, Pikachu
(09-26-2021, 08:46 AM)ss20ts Wrote: Why are you taking so many credits on Sophia? You don't need many of them. It's 120 credits for the degree. The courses you will need to take at UMPI, I don't see available elsewhere. They're mostly UL courses. The exception is English Comp. Sophia has them both but they are MUCH FASTER and EASIER at UMPI. I took Eng Comp 2 on Sophia and dropped it. I was 2 months in and still not able to submit my final paper. You write 5-7 papers for Eng Comp 2 on Sophia. You write 1 short paper at UMPI for Eng Comp 2. I finished the entire course in 3 days - including the rough draft and final version of the Final Assessment. 

I wouldn't take Principles of Finance from Sophia. It will only transfer as a general elective. You don't need these either:
Project Management 3

You do need Environmental Science, Human Biology, and Introduction to Psychology from Sophia.

Thanks! I've added Environmental Science (in fact I'm almost done with it at Sophia) and plan to do Biology at SDC for the lab credit. 

Also I was planning on Intro to Sociology instead of Intro to Psych for the GEC requirement and Sophia Project Management as an elective --- but I'm interested in feedback on that.  

Do you know if there is a Sophia course or SDC that will cover BUS 200: Intermediate Business Computing?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 22 250 24 minutes ago
Last Post: rachel83az
  Potential Degree Input, Please curious 4 113 4 hours ago
Last Post: curious
  Degree Planning- MS degree dodek101 7 260 Yesterday, 12:01 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 22 1,469 03-26-2024, 11:54 PM
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 28 1,846 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM
  Masters Degree in Texas Melhux 3 170 03-26-2024, 05:45 AM
  Almost 40 year old with foreign BA in English degree and Santa Monica College Cert KMcLean 12 946 03-25-2024, 08:12 PM
  IT Degree Options Advice theredwallflower 4 558 03-23-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: theredwallflower
  Metropolia for quick bachelor's degree to get in a master's program klicer 5 285 03-21-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: klicer
  Seeking Guidance on beginning degree BeginAgain_1980 9 238 03-20-2024, 04:13 PM