Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lots of RA credits, need more UL credits - need help deciding on which school/degree
When I look at a TESU eval, I can really appreciate it compared to other schools. It tells you exactly what every single course comes in as, and where it will fit. It makes everything SO much easier. It is the single best thing they do.

Looking at the UMPI eval, you cannot tell what is what for so many courses.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(11-28-2021, 01:51 PM)dfrecore Wrote: When I look at a TESU eval, I can really appreciate it compared to other schools.  It tells you exactly what every single course comes in as, and where it will fit.  It makes everything SO much easier.  It is the single best thing they do.

Agreed. Though there are a few different areas in their system (which is a bit confusing). The attached Transfer Equivalency guide does give more info on what transferred into what. You just have to keep digging around to make sure you find all of their reports, which are split up in several different areas  Rolleyes

Attached Files
.pdf   UMPI-Transfer-Equiv-NL.pdf (Size: 289.3 KB / Downloads: 15)
First, I think you need to ask UMPI for a re-evaluation of your Clark University credits, since they're giving 1cr for every course, which is going to be an issue. Each school should match what you think you have.

Second, I'm going to ask them to re-evaluate MUSC 010: Intro to Music and put it in Area 2E: KNOWLEDGE OF THE ARTS & LITERATURE. Music is an art, so if this is a Music Appreciation course, then you should get credit for that.

Third, I'm going to see if CA 2011: Discovering Creative Energies is a hands-on art course (I have no idea), but worth a shot if it was to get it put into 2D.

-----------------------------------

For TESU, I show that you need 8 courses:
Cornerstone
Capstone
Oral Comm
Civic Engagement
BUS 319: Negotiations and Conflict Management
BUS 323: Organizational Theory
PSY 301: Industrial/Organizational Psychology
And then you need 1 additional UL Liberal Arts course, because one of the UL courses is ST 3050: Quantitative Reasoning which is only 2.67cr - and you must have a full 18cr+ in that area (you'll have 17.67cr UL when you're done with everything). If you could find a 1cr course somewhere, that would be awesome, but I'm not sure there's anything available.

I know they say that you only need 12.99cr, but what's going to happen is as you transfer in courses, other things will "bump" out:

1) When you take Oral Comm & Civic Engagement for 3cr each, your final GE area will be 50cr - and since you only need 45cr, it's going to bump out C180: Intro to Psychology. This will put you to 47cr (2cr over, which will make your Free Electives area 28cr instead of 30cr).

2) Then you take your capstone and 3 core courses for the concentration, which will put you at 47.34cr in the AoS, but only 17.67cr of UL. So you'll take another UL course, which will put you at 50.34cr, which will bump out ST 3050: Quantitative Reasoning and CA 2011: Discovering Creative Energies (2.67cr each). This will put you back to 45cr exactly.

3) Your Free Electives area is at 30.67cr, and only needs 28cr, so out goes BACP 2050: Writing Workshop (2.67cr).

So they'll bump out 11.01cr at the end. Leaving you with an actual 24cr needed to complete the degree.

Hope that makes sense.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
You'll have to decide which one is more suitable for you, UMPI seems like a great option, TESU is so close to finishing as well... decisions eh, LOL?
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(11-28-2021, 01:51 PM)dfrecore Wrote: When I look at a TESU eval, I can really appreciate it compared to other schools.  It tells you exactly what every single course comes in as, and where it will fit.  It makes everything SO much easier.  It is the single best thing they do.

At UMPI, we get a transfer evaluation and your transfer credits display in your MainStreet account. This states what every single class transfers in as and which area of the GEC it fills. Your academic advisor completed a degree audit sheet and gives this to each student. This shows every course required for your degree program. It shows what you transferred in and what you have left to complete. It's actually VERY easy to understand. It's VERY straightforward and lists every course requirement out.
I don't get the logic of doing all this work for years, then trying to save at best 2-4 weeks going for a Liberal Studies degree.  If you go to TESU, you should probably get the BSBA.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(11-28-2021, 04:33 PM)LevelUP Wrote: I don't get the logic of doing all this work for years, then trying to save at best 2-4 weeks going for a Liberal Studies degree.  If you go to TESU, you should probably get the BSBA.

I think the goal is to save time and money, not just time.  The OP needs to decide which degree he wants, and he can best do it by weighing all of the options.

If you want a business degree, it will take more time at each school, because you need more credits (so more money as well to get all of those credits).  You'll save money by going to UMPI over TESU. Not sure about time, it depends on how quickly you do it.  I think you can probably graduate faster without the lag that TESU builds in.

If you just want a Liberal Studies degree, then you have to look at which is cheapest/fastest as well.  TESU will probably be faster but cost more because you have fewer courses to complete.  UMPI will be cheaper.

The OP has gone to school for a long time, he's smart to figure out the best option going foward.
Whoops, I must have accidentally turned off notifications as I missed some replies, sorry about that!

As mentioned, I agree if it were a simple comparison on just the degrees in terms of 2-4 weeks, that's an easy decision to make. Unfortunately, there are dozens of aspects at play. So I definitely appreciate all the help as I weigh all the options. I can't start until after January 1st, so I'm using the time to prepare and make the right choice so I can hit the ground running.

Somehow, COSC moved pretty quickly once they had all my info. I've attached their degree audit for a Business Administration degree with a concentration in Organizational Management since I had already taken one of the necessary classes in the concentration.

I'm at work and have only looked it over briefly, but in case anyone is curious how everything translated there. Seems to look about as I was expecting overall!

Attached Files
.pdf   COSC_DegreeAudit-NL3.pdf (Size: 1.23 MB / Downloads: 11)
(12-01-2021, 03:08 PM)newlion Wrote: Whoops, I must have accidentally turned off notifications as I missed some replies, sorry about that!

As mentioned, I agree if it were a simple comparison on just the degrees in terms of 2-4 weeks, that's an easy decision to make. Unfortunately, there are dozens of aspects at play. So I definitely appreciate all the help as I weigh all the options. I can't start until after January 1st, so I'm using the time to prepare and make the right choice so I can hit the ground running.

Somehow, COSC moved pretty quickly once they had all my info. I've attached their degree audit for a Business Administration degree with a concentration in Organizational Management since I had already taken one of the necessary classes in the concentration.

I'm at work and have only looked it over briefly, but in case anyone is curious how everything translated there. Seems to look about as I was expecting overall!

If I'm you, I'm changing my concentration to General Business so that you're not hemmed in.  I'm taking Study.com's BUS 308: Globalization and International Management to come in as an UL concentration course, as well as checking off the Global Understanding requirement.  I'm going to ask them to use ST 3050: Quantitative Reasoning as your Business Stats course, but at the very least they should bring it in as UL.  If they won't take that, then I'm taking Business Stats at SL.

I thik COSC has become a pain in the tush over the last couple of years, but they are inexpensive, so worth looking at.  But it just may be difficult to find everything you need inexpensively, which then offsets the cost savings over an easier-to-get degree.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Potential Degree Input, Please curious 3 83 4 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 16 175 8 hours ago
Last Post: walruspanda
  Degree Planning- MS degree dodek101 7 255 Yesterday, 12:01 AM
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 22 1,469 03-26-2024, 11:54 PM
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 28 1,845 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM
  Masters Degree in Texas Melhux 3 170 03-26-2024, 05:45 AM
  Almost 40 year old with foreign BA in English degree and Santa Monica College Cert KMcLean 12 946 03-25-2024, 08:12 PM
  IT Degree Options Advice theredwallflower 4 555 03-23-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: theredwallflower
  Metropolia for quick bachelor's degree to get in a master's program klicer 5 285 03-21-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: klicer
  Seeking Guidance on beginning degree BeginAgain_1980 9 237 03-20-2024, 04:13 PM