Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Goal: BA or BS in CS or IT
Thanks for your help LevelUP, davewill and rachel83az.

Looking at numbers around USD$ 6,000 makes me happier :-D

I guess I need to look about which courses do I need to take at Study.com then.

In any case, I guess that I could simply end the BS in CS at UoP, and later maybe I could get another BS at TESU or UMPI... now that I was revealed the Alternative Credit System by this forum.

Now if UMPI got a BS in CS... we wouldn´t even need to think anymore ha :-)
It's great you're focusing on the BSCS, I think the cost of $6000 is a great deal for TESU. If cost is an issue, as mentioned, you can stay with UofPeople for the BSCS, then maybe to a graduate school for a Masters in IT, such as at Purdue Global, Northern Arizona University, or something along those lines. I would lean more towards graduate school vs another Bachelors... decisions decisions, either way, good luck and have fun!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • MrPanda
Since it was mentioned that MAYBE one could try to get remote work from the US, I considered if getting a RA BS could be valuable, but maybe getting a RA MSc in IT could be valuable too? NA BS + RA MSc? Obviously, I´m just thinking about the barely minimum requirement for any normal company.

I just found that University of the People it´s recognized in Portugal, therefore, I guess that any diploma from any NA School could be registered there:

https://www.dges.gov.pt/recon/formulario

[Image: Uo-People-en-Portugal.jpg]
(10-13-2021, 12:29 PM)rachel83az Wrote: TESU only has 2 tuition rates: tuition for students in New Jersey and tuition for students not in New Jersey. For you, an approximate cost breakdown would be as follows:

$1557 for TESU's capstone
$3192 for the residency waiver
Approximately $1000 for 10 courses @ Study.com (can potentially be as low as $810 by taking as many courses as allowed during a month)
$150 for the Network Technology TECEP exam
------------
Total: $5600

OR you could do the following:

$4639 to take 16 credits in a single term: capstone, CIS-107 ePack, Software Engineering, COS-111 Introduction to Programming, COS-240 Operating Systems, PLA-100
NO residency waiver
6-ish courses at Study.com: $600 for 3 months. As low as $540 if split over 2 months instead.
No need for Network Technology TECEP
--------
$5300

Not a huge savings, as far as money goes. And the 16-credit-term isn't exactly easy. But it also saves you from having to deal with the Network Technology TECEP - the TECEP is notoriously difficult to pass.

Hello Rachel83az, thanks for your plans, I have one question, why in one of the plans TECEP is necessary, but not in the other? I don´t see the networking component in the 2nd option.

Thanks for your time.
Software Engineering is a relatively easy UL course that can be completed in 20 or so hours. If you don't take Software Engineering, you MUST take either the Network Technology TECEP or Linear Algebra from Coopersmith because Study.com doesn't have enough upper-level credits for a CS degree otherwise. Unfortunately, TESU has been a bit iffy on whether or not they will still accept Linear Algebra - they deny some students and allow Linear Algebra for others with no rhyme or reason that we can tell.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • MrPanda, Pikachu
Thanks for your explanation! :-)
Also, the Network Technology TECEP is notoriously difficult because of the sheer scope of information covered. The TESU class is reportedly not that hard. But it's not uncommon to put a LOT of effort into studying and still fail the first time you take the exam.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
(10-15-2021, 07:58 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Also, the Network Technology TECEP is notoriously difficult because of the sheer scope of information covered. The TESU class is reportedly not that hard. But it's not uncommon to put a LOT of effort into studying and still fail the first time you take the exam.

Yes, I agree with you, some hours ago I started checking the TECEP for Network Technology, and as you said, the amount of topics is really high.

Currently I´m taking Networking and Communications I at the UoPeople, and I was studying the edX course on Networking, and it´s dense. I have  been reading the suggested book on edX, and it takes time to understand, since every concept is new.
In Peru, the grade scale goes from 0 to 20, with 11 being "Pass".

For some reason, I though that a 13 was equivalent to C-, meaning that I didn´t have too many courses from my Peruvian´s bachelor´s degree that could transfer.

However, I just found that I have an official document from my peruvian university saying:

P.P.A. => G.P.A.
11 - 11.99 => 2.0 - 2.49
12.0 - 13.49 => 2.5 - 3.49
13.5 - 14.59 => 3.5 - 4
14.6 - 20 => 4.01+

However, the document doesn´t specify if it was based on a GPA of 4, or a GPA of 5.

GPA Conversion document from my Peruvian university:

[Image: GPA-Conversion.jpg]

Anyway, maybe it´s worth a shot to try Spantran, in order to try to get my bachelor´s evaluated with a course by couse evaluation, considering that now I´ll need more RA or International credits, in order to get the degree at TESU.

I guess I can try what I have seen recommended at other situations here:

Send applications to different places, and see which gives you more credits.

I guess that I can try: TESU (CS or CIS/BSBA) / SNHU (CS or some other) / CUNY (IS)

What I don´t know, is if TESU would require me to chose the "notarized" version of the Spantran evaluation, I haven´t asked yet, just read about the process in TESU.

I also don´t know if it would make any sense to get an evaluation for my graduate credits from Peru, I have an "all courses completed, but no thesis" master program, therefore, I don´t have the degree, and I haven´t found yet if TESU can take graduate credits for their bachelor degrees? I have a quantitative methods course there, that maybe could transfer.

LevelUP said: "If you have a Bachelor's Degree, TESU will waive the General Education requirement, which waives the SOS-110 cornerstone." <- that means that just because I have the bachelor´s degree, a group of courses would not be needed? It´s not just a course by course evaluation, then?

Attached Files
.jpg   GPA Conversion.jpg (Size: 470.26 KB / Downloads: 10)
TESU has a Bachelor's-to-Master's program where you can take (some) Master's-level credits from TESU for the same price as Bachelor's credits and they'll apply to your Bachelor's degree as well as to a Master's degree at TESU. So TESU does accept SOME Master's credits towards undergrad degrees. I don't know if foreign credits count, but it's certainly worth a shot.

If you're going to apply to other schools, you might as well also give UMPI a shot. They have a BLS Management Information Systems degree. Not quite the same as a BSBA CIS, but it might work for your needs? It would almost certainly be cheaper than SNHU and probably TESU.

Both TESU and UMPI waive gen ed requirements if you have a previous Bachelor's degree. You do need a course-by-course evaluation, but the gen ed portion is just... gone. Depending on your grades, these might not actually transfer in as individual courses for the AOS, but the whole gen ed block will still count as "RA credits" for a TESU degree.

You MAY have to get an evaluation from more than one evaluator to find one who will say that you actually have a Bachelor's degree. You should be good with SpanTran, but sometimes even Master's degrees are counted as ASSOCIATE degrees by certain evaluators. This very rarely happens, so you'll probably be fine, but it's still something to keep in mind. Just because one evaluator says one thing, it's not the end of the world. Another evaluator may say something completely different.

Now, I'm not saying to shop around and get your degrees evaluated a bunch of times (because it could get very expensive, very fast), but there is a slim possibility that your all-but-thesis Master's will be evaluated by someone as a degree-equivalent, based on hours completed. That probably WON'T happen, but even if you can't transfer the credits to TESU for some reason, I think it's worth taking a shot at evaluating it just to see what happens.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • MrPanda

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU BA CS & BSBA CIS Goal Pach 34 2,572 09-10-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Pach
Rainbow BA in Social Science. GOAL: get a degree in Technology irkas94 2 584 11-26-2022, 06:23 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Degree plan Charter Oak with goal of Georgia Tech OMSCS StudentOLife 22 5,269 07-30-2020, 11:28 PM
Last Post: StudentOLife