Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ASU's non-proctored courses
For those who can't take proctored exams for whatever reason, ASU's got you covered. I just noticed that on their course list page at https://ea.asu.edu/courses/ there is now a drop-down box that allows you to hide courses with proctored exams. BIO100 and SES106 are essentially one long project, but I expect that the others have multiple essays in lieu of proctoring. I know that's how ENG101 and ENG102 work.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Pikachu
(01-05-2022, 04:51 PM)rachel83az Wrote: For those who can't take proctored exams for whatever reason, ASU's got you covered. I just noticed that on their course list page at https://ea.asu.edu/courses/ there is now a drop-down box that allows you to hide courses with proctored exams. BIO100 and SES106 are essentially one long project, but I expect that the others have multiple essays in lieu of proctoring. I know that's how ENG101 and ENG102 work.

I think this data isn't quite accurate. COM100 and FSE100 have exams, or at least they did when I took them.
TESU Class of 2024 BSBA-CIS+GM, BSIT, ASNSM-CS+Math, AAS-GEN
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
jch Wrote:
rachel83az Wrote:For those who can't take proctored exams for whatever reason, ASU's got you covered. I just noticed that on their course list page at https://ea.asu.edu/courses/ there is now a drop-down box that allows you to hide courses with proctored exams. BIO100 and SES106 are essentially one long project, but I expect that the others have multiple essays in lieu of proctoring. I know that's how ENG101 and ENG102 work.

I think this data isn't quite accurate. COM100 and FSE100 have exams, or at least they did when I took them.

Was either of those exams proctored? I don't really mind proctored exams, I was more curious if they're open book or at least allow you to have some notes or something to use for the exams like a scrap sheet of blank paper or two.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(01-06-2022, 12:02 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
jch Wrote:
rachel83az Wrote:For those who can't take proctored exams for whatever reason, ASU's got you covered. I just noticed that on their course list page at https://ea.asu.edu/courses/ there is now a drop-down box that allows you to hide courses with proctored exams. BIO100 and SES106 are essentially one long project, but I expect that the others have multiple essays in lieu of proctoring. I know that's how ENG101 and ENG102 work.

Was either of those exams proctored?  I don't really mind proctored exams, I was more curious if they're open book or at least allow you to have some notes or something to use for the exams like a scrap sheet of blank paper or two.
COM 100 final was proctored when I took it a few months ago. Of course they could be very well planning to change that and focus more on the papers.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
My final exams in COM100 and FSE100 were proctored.
TESU Class of 2024 BSBA-CIS+GM, BSIT, ASNSM-CS+Math, AAS-GEN
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
Yes, I took COM100 in Fall 2020 ($99 special!) and the final was proctored. I also think that the current info for the exams and grading isn't correct. I still have the syllabus and I see that I had 7 reaction-responses and 7 situational analyses (one each per module). There were no notes allowed.

On a side note, I've wondered how these proctored exams work. For the astronomy class, I forgot to show my scratch paper at the end, and I wasn't flagged.
(01-06-2022, 04:21 AM)Ditto Wrote: Yes, I took COM100 in Fall 2020 ($99 special!) and the final was proctored. I also think that the current info for the exams and grading isn't correct. I still have the syllabus and I see that I had 7 reaction-responses and 7 situational analyses (one each per module). There were no notes allowed.
They changed things since then as I noted in my review. When I took it in fall 2021, they only made you do a single written assignment per week. 

(Post #37)

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...etc?page=4
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • rachel83az
Several of those were proctored when I took them. But my stepdaughter is now enrolled in two allegedly unproctored ones that start on Tuesday. I'll report back on if I can get a clarification that they're no longer proctored. That would be good news for her. The webcam proctored exams with time limits she's taken in the past at ASU had her nervous and rattled, worried about doing something by mistake to flag the exams or not setting up the room scan right. She almost certainly performed more poorly than she would have if that pressure was removed.

Sometimes I forget how everything feels way bigger and more stressful to teens than it does to the adult version of me. Then I see her freak out and it jogs my memory of when I was that age.
I just signed up for COM100 to take a look at the course requirements. It does, indeed, have a final exam, but that final is NOT proctored.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(01-11-2022, 07:41 AM)rachel83az Wrote: I just signed up for COM100 to take a look at the course requirements. It does, indeed, have a final exam, but that final is NOT proctored.

COM 100: When I took it, all those reaction/response written components were self-graded, but the exam was proctored. Now the exam is unproctored, but the written components are graded by an instructor.
There are 3 reaction/responses and 4 situational analyses and they require 400-450 words each. Those are pretty small writing assignments, making this class very manageable.
--
PSY 101 - Intro to Psychology also has no proctored exams, and on top of that, the class is ASYNCHRONOUS! It's a fantastic opportunity for people who want/need the flexibility and have problems proctoring.
The grade breakdown for Psy101 is shown below:
[Image: Screen-Shot-2022-01-11-at-10-03-09-AM.png]

Note the professor has built in the opportunity for extra credit.

The syllabus for this class is very long and complicated and tries to explain a lot of different what-if's, potential snafus and tips that would be helpful for any class. It's definitely written for first-time college students that the professor seems to want to go out of their way to help them adapt and succeed in college work.
---
CIS 308: This also appears to be unproctored and exams allow multiple attempts! Good opportunity to score some upper-level CIS credit.

I like what ASU is doing. Opening good possibilities at reasonable tuition rates...and it's low-risk, high-reward. If you don't like the final grade, you just don't pay the $400 transcription fee, and you could opt to take the class over again in another semester. (My stepdaughter did this with sociology. Neither of us were happy with her C, so we opted not to transcript and she repeated it later for a B.)

Can also conform SST-220 Introduction to Social Transformation is also unproctored.

[Image: Screen-Shot-2022-01-11-at-10-17-44-AM.png]
[-] The following 5 users Like ReyMysterioso's post:
  • Ditto, jch, MNomadic, Pikachu, rachel83az

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Czech College Courses for 50+ in the US eriehiker 2 270 01-19-2024, 01:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  University of AZ: Are these 10-wk Business Analytics Cert Courses Worth the $? Claudia P 3 353 01-18-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Tomas
  The official guide to self-study RA courses from ASU, BYU, UIdaho, etc. rachel83az 50 31,540 11-10-2023, 07:01 PM
Last Post: jch
  The official guide to courses from the Big Three: COSC, TESU, & Excelsior jsh1138 25 39,161 10-22-2023, 06:02 PM
Last Post: jch
  New ASU ULC Courses: 1 in Physics (no lab), 2 in Organizational doom 30 4,035 03-07-2023, 09:19 AM
Last Post: doom
  UoPeople Certificate program transfer courses? MNomadic 5 1,592 12-13-2022, 10:44 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Official guide to courses from Finnish universities rachel83az 1 2,125 10-31-2022, 08:13 AM
Last Post: carrythenothing
Star Self-paced online courses from University of North Dakota (UND) Pikachu 13 2,977 09-07-2022, 04:02 PM
  (Not cheap) self-paced courses from MSU Denver rachel83az 2 775 09-07-2022, 03:56 PM
  New ASU ULC Courses: HST-100 Global History to 1500 and COM-225 Public Speaking doom 2 1,102 06-27-2022, 05:22 PM