Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
need help with degree planning for son for Bachelor's in Business Admin or Finance
Excelsior Costs
Course by course evaluation: $200
ACTFL 2 languages: $165 x 2 = $330
Study.com 1 month $199
Sophia.org 3-4 months = $299
Excelsior 7 credits: $410 = $2870
Subtotal: $3898, $48/credit (x7) service fees $336 + grad fee $125
Total: $4359
Excelsior Link: https://www.excelsior.edu/partner/

TESU Costs
Study.com 1 month $199
TESU 16 credits: $4,639
Subtotal: $5667 + grad fee $298
Total: $5965
TESU Link: https://www.tesu.edu/tuition/flat-rate-tuition

UMPI Costs
Study.com 1 month $199
Subtotal: $1028
2 Sessions = $1400 x 2 = $2800
Total: $3828
3 Sessions = $1400 x 3 = $4200
Total: $5228
UMPI Link: https://online.umpi.edu/programs/programs.aspx
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(05-14-2022, 11:22 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Excelsior Costs
Study.com 1 month $199
Excelsior 7 credits: $410 = $2870
Subtotal: $3898, $48/credit (x7) service fees $336 + grad fee $125
Excelsior Link: https://www.excelsior.edu/partner/

TESU Costs
Study.com 1 month $199
TESU 16 credits: $4,639
Subtotal: $5667 + grad fee $298
Total: $5965
TESU Link: https://www.tesu.edu/tuition/flat-rate-tuition

UMPI Costs
Study.com 1 month $199
Subtotal: $1028
2 Sessions = $1400 x 2 = $2800
Total: $3828
3 Sessions = $1400 x 3 = $4200
Total: $5228
UMPI Link: https://online.umpi.edu/programs/programs.aspx

What's this:
Haha, you caught me... I am a bit slow at typing, so... I copy/pasted a previous post. That is the course by course evaluation for international students, you can remove that cost.

Furthermore, if you don't think you're going for a language exam to maximize your credits through ACTFL, or you don't know a second language, you can take that cost out as well..

Not sure where the costs were found, but the EC tuition info is wrong:

Excelsior
Application fee: $0 (if you're using a partner like Study.com or Sophia)
Tuition: $510/cr x 7cr = $3,570
Technology fees: $20/cr x 7cr = $140
Student Services fees $28/cr x 7cr = $196
Graduation fee: $125
Total: $4,031

TESU
Application fee: $50
Tuition: $519 x 6cr = $3,114
Residency Waiver = $3,192
Graduation fee $298
Total for Per-Credit tuition $6,654

TESU also has a per-term fee, but it will require more courses at TESU (16cr) in a single term; I would say that you need to be a fairly strong student to pull this off.

------------------------------------

I normally like EC over TESU for a general business degree, but for the Finance concentration, EC has very specific courses you must take. So, I think you would be required to take at least another 9cr at EC, with the remaining Finance electives available from Study.com. While that would get you a lower price for tuition, bumping you up past 12cr, it would still be offset by the increase:

Excelsior - Finance concentration
Tuition: $410/cr x 16cr = $6,560
Technology fees: $20/cr x 16cr = $320
Student Services fees $28/cr x 16cr = $448
Total: $7,453

With that price, it becomes a better option to go through TESU, whether the per-credit or per-term, doesn't matter, as both are cheaper.

TESU will also take D grades for GE except English, so with the 28cr you're bringing in, you'll hit the 30cr of RA and so no additional hoops to jump.
So, your real options, at this point, are between TESU which can be done easily via alt-credit, and gives you the Finance concentration that you want; and UMPI, which will be cheaper, but will not get you the concentration.

You'd also have to decide between "regular" credit-earning vs. CBE, which can be challenging for some students.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(05-12-2022, 11:16 PM)EducationSeeker Wrote: Hi, 

Sorry, I am a bit late posting to this response that was a little over 1 month ago, but, I am following up to a post trying to help my son finish his Bachelor's Degree in either Business Administration or most likely Finance. 

He is 20 going on 21 so he is still more of a traditional college age student and figuring his life out. He has about 1.5 years of courses at Youngstown State University in Ohio. He took this Spring semester off to work and figure his life out right now as he did not have a great start to University with the death of his mom and COVID (graduated HS in 2020). 

He thinks he would like to manage or own real commercial real estate or work in an investment firm. Additionally, he is considering law school after his Bachelor's degree and working in Real Estate or Corporate Law.

The traditional path of another 3 years of full time work seems daunting to him at a traditional university. So, we are looking potentially cheaper and/or faster options such as TESU, WGU, SNHU, Purdue Global (has nice Finance concentrations like Wealth Management or Real Estate, but, it seems expensive), or UMPI. From a budget standpoint, I am still helping him pay tuition and I would like to try and stay under $20k for the remainder of his Bachelor's degree.

As directed, I am listing the course #, full course name, # of credits, and grade if less than a C from Youngstown State to get some good options and projected ball park costs for the Bachelor's Degree.

Transcript

Course Number/Course Name/Number of Credits/Grade

ANTH 1500 Introduction to Anthropology 3 cr  B
REL 2601 Introduction to World Religions 3 cr A
THTR 1500 History of Motion Pictures 3 cr B
ASTR 1504 Descriptive Astronomy 3 cr B
CHMST 1545 Communication Foundations 3 cr B
ENGL 1550 Writing 1 (same as Engl Composition) 3 cr A
PSYCH 1550 General Psychology 3 cr C
YSU 1500 Student Success Seminar 1 cr A
HIST 2605 US History 1 3 cr D
GEOG 2630 Weather 3 cr C

Credit hour total: 28 credit hours (1 class is below C grade and may not transfer). This leaves him roughly about 92-95 credit hours to earn before he would get about 120 credit hours for a Bachelor's Degree. If he can finish in 1-2 years for under $10k, that would be ideal. I appreciate any recommendations, degree plans, and tuition ballpark estimates.

Thanks,

EducationSeeker

I helped my 20 year old earn a bachelor degree in 15 months using Study.com. He took placement tests to test out of what he already knew which made his classes go a lot quicker. He would focus on watching the lessons and getting 100% on the quizzes (they are 5 questions and the questions don't change) and understanding everything. He would take the chapter tests after reviewing his quizzes (tests only took 10-15 min) and then review with the online flashcards they provide and then take the course practice test at the end. If he scored a 70% or higher he knew he was ready for the proctored final (at home and no need to schedule) If he earned 100% on his quizzes then he only needed a 55% on the final to earn the college credit (only the quizzes and final count towards grade). The majority of the classes had zero papers and for the ones that did (upper division) he had 3 attempts to turn in each paper for the highest grade. Here are two degree plans I created for TESU and Excelsior. 

Excelsior Business Degree Plan: https://bit.ly/3NccxfS

TESU BSBA in Finance Degree Plan: https://bit.ly/3sD08cV
(05-14-2022, 12:25 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Not sure where the costs were found, but the EC tuition info is wrong:

Excelsior
Tuition: $510/cr x 7cr = $3,570
Technology fees: $20/cr x 7cr = $140
Student Services fees $28/cr x 7cr = $196
Total: $4,031

TESU
Application fee: $50
Tuition: $519 x 6cr = $3,114
Residency Waiver = $3,192
Graduation fee $298
Total for Per-Credit tuition $6,654

TESU also has a per-term fee, but it will require more courses at TESU (16cr) in a single term; I would say that you need to be a fairly strong student to pull this off.

I normally like EC over TESU for a general business degree, but for the Finance concentration, EC has very specific courses you must take.  So, I think you would be required to take at least another 9cr at EC, with the remaining Finance electives available from Study.com.  While that would get you a lower price for tuition, bumping you up past 12cr, it would still be offset by the increase:

Excelsior - Finance concentration
Tuition: $410/cr x 16cr = $6,560
Technology fees: $20/cr x 16cr = $320
Student Services fees $28/cr x 16cr = $448
Total: $7,453

With that price, it becomes a better option to go through TESU, whether the per-credit or per-term, doesn't matter, as both are cheaper.

TESU will also take D grades for GE except English, so with the 28cr you're bringing in, you'll hit the 30cr of RA and so no additional hoops to jump.
So, your real options, at this point, are between TESU which can be done easily via alt-credit, and gives you the Finance concentration that you want; and UMPI, which will be cheaper, but will not get you the concentration.

You'd also have to decide between "regular" credit-earning vs. CBE, which can be challenging for some students.

dfrecore,

In your opinion and experience, would the students that be have trouble with the CBE option such as UMPI be not as self directed, disciplined, "go-getters" (often younger people compared to older adults) so that they are not optimizing the maximum value they can obtain for a flat rate fee such as WGU or UMPI (I am guessing this is how UMPI works) charges tuition per term? I think has been my son so far although he just needed to grow up somewhat and I can see maturity in him as he is approaching 21.  This was most helpful and thank you so much for the accurate cost information!

Education Seeker

(05-14-2022, 03:37 PM)dragonwolf Wrote:
(05-12-2022, 11:16 PM)EducationSeeker Wrote: Hi, 

Sorry, I am a bit late posting to this response that was a little over 1 month ago, but, I am following up to a post trying to help my son finish his Bachelor's Degree in either Business Administration or most likely Finance. 

He is 20 going on 21 so he is still more of a traditional college age student and figuring his life out. He has about 1.5 years of courses at Youngstown State University in Ohio. He took this Spring semester off to work and figure his life out right now as he did not have a great start to University with the death of his mom and COVID (graduated HS in 2020). 

He thinks he would like to manage or own real commercial real estate or work in an investment firm. Additionally, he is considering law school after his Bachelor's degree and working in Real Estate or Corporate Law.

The traditional path of another 3 years of full time work seems daunting to him at a traditional university. So, we are looking potentially cheaper and/or faster options such as TESU, WGU, SNHU, Purdue Global (has nice Finance concentrations like Wealth Management or Real Estate, but, it seems expensive), or UMPI. From a budget standpoint, I am still helping him pay tuition and I would like to try and stay under $20k for the remainder of his Bachelor's degree.

As directed, I am listing the course #, full course name, # of credits, and grade if less than a C from Youngstown State to get some good options and projected ball park costs for the Bachelor's Degree.

Transcript

Course Number/Course Name/Number of Credits/Grade

ANTH 1500 Introduction to Anthropology 3 cr  B
REL 2601 Introduction to World Religions 3 cr A
THTR 1500 History of Motion Pictures 3 cr B
ASTR 1504 Descriptive Astronomy 3 cr B
CHMST 1545 Communication Foundations 3 cr B
ENGL 1550 Writing 1 (same as Engl Composition) 3 cr A
PSYCH 1550 General Psychology 3 cr C
YSU 1500 Student Success Seminar 1 cr A
HIST 2605 US History 1 3 cr D
GEOG 2630 Weather 3 cr C

Credit hour total: 28 credit hours (1 class is below C grade and may not transfer). This leaves him roughly about 92-95 credit hours to earn before he would get about 120 credit hours for a Bachelor's Degree. If he can finish in 1-2 years for under $10k, that would be ideal. I appreciate any recommendations, degree plans, and tuition ballpark estimates.

Thanks,

EducationSeeker

I helped my 20 year old earn a bachelor degree in 15 months using Study.com. He took placement tests to test out of what he already knew which made his classes go a lot quicker. He would focus on watching the lessons and getting 100% on the quizzes (they are 5 questions and the questions don't change) and understanding everything. He would take the chapter tests after reviewing his quizzes (tests only took 10-15 min) and then review with the online flashcards they provide and then take the course practice test at the end. If he scored a 70% or higher he knew he was ready for the proctored final (at home and no need to schedule) If he earned 100% on his quizzes then he only needed a 55% on the final to earn the college credit (only the quizzes and final count towards grade). The majority of the classes had zero papers and for the ones that did (upper division) he had 3 attempts to turn in each paper for the highest grade. Here are two degree plans I created for TESU and Excelsior. 

Excelsior Business Degree Plan: https://bit.ly/3NccxfS

TESU BSBA in Finance Degree Plan: https://bit.ly/3sD08cV

Hi Dragonwolf,

That is an awesome achievement for you and him and you should both be proud!

I had some questions if you don't mind me asking about your son's individual situation and learning style.

1. Was your son a very self-motivated, self-directed, go getter type of student or average academic ability drive?
  2. Was he working part time or full time when he was going to school?
  3. Was he living on his own or at home when he got his Bachelor's degree?
  4. How many hours a week would you say he worked on school work?
  5. Is the 15 month span you mentioned for the TESU or Excelsior Finance Bachelor's degree from beginning until end of college or did he have credits coming in before he started TESU or Excelsior?
  6. What kind of job did you son end up getting after graduation with his Bachelor's degree in Finance?
  7. If a student would rather write papers and gets standardized test anxiety, would you still recommend TESU or EC? He has not expressed a strong opinion on writing papers/vs. taking an exam.

Thank you,

Education Seeker
[-] The following 1 user Likes EducationSeeker's post:
  • Vle045
TESU and EC are about the same as far as exams go: most courses will have exams and not papers. With UMPI, it's the opposite. Mostly papers and not exams.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(05-14-2022, 05:19 PM)EducationSeeker Wrote: [quote pid='366608' dateline='1652549146']

dfrecore,

In your opinion and experience, would the students that be have trouble with the CBE option such as UMPI be not as self directed, disciplined, "go-getters" (often younger people compared to older adults) so that they are not optimizing the maximum value they can obtain for a flat rate fee such as WGU or UMPI (I am guessing this is how UMPI works) charges tuition per term? I think has been my son so far although he just needed to grow up somewhat and I can see maturity in him as he is approaching 21.  This was most helpful and thank you so much for the accurate cost information!

Education Seeker

[/quote]

I would say that yes, if you're not maximizing the number of credits you can get in a single term, then you're really wasting money (and then the degree will cost more); so you need to do those Sophia/Study.com credits first, to prove to yourself that you can do the self-paced thing before plunking down the money for a term somewhere.

I personally didn't do a CBE degree because when I was getting it, I had kids, and a spouse that traveled, and I just couldn't commit to 8 weeks straight of college coursework in that way; it would be much easier for me now.  When I did my TESU degree, I kind of did 2 things - I usually worked in "bursts" when I had a lot of energy, motivation, and time to complete a lot; and then I also went "at the speed of cash" as I paid for everything in cash along the way.  I saved up for the capstone for a couple of years, and only had a limited amount I could spend on courses/exams each month anyway.

But that's me, other people are different.  You just have to find what works for you and then go with that.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(05-15-2022, 12:33 AM)rachel83az Wrote: TESU and EC are about the same as far as exams go: most courses will have exams and not papers. With UMPI, it's the opposite. Mostly papers and not exams.

Rachel83az,

For your son, did he choose TESU or EC? It looks like they cost about the same? I am leaning towards recommending TESU because they have Finance. My son is looking at probably working part time, living at home, and going to school full time. From what I am seeing, it would be most cost effective and less risky for him to go with Study.com or Sophia.com first and prove himself for maximizing the amount of return on investment rather than going with a CBE like WGU or I believe UMPI (I believe UMPI is CBE).

Education Seeker
@EducationSeeker, It's great you're asking others how they handle things, such as postsecondary education for the daughter or son...  However, that's all it is, a gauge to see how others are doing things, it may or may not apply to your situation as each scenario is going to be somewhat different.  You may want to converse with your sons and see how they wish to proceed, either by starting with CLEP/MS or by Sophia.org and then continuing towards the 90 credits or more, depending on the institution the both of you decide on.  

It's clear now that both of your sons are looking to accumulate college credit, they can work together on same "gen ed and elective" subjects... even though they are about 5 years apart, their gen ed/electives can be the same, they can be study mates and work on exam prep together if needed...  Basically, I would suggest staying with your first choice of TESU and having Excelsior/UMPI as a backup or second choice.  So take courses that will apply to all 3 and will go towards a Business degree.

I would work on this slowly and surely, as sometimes it's a bit hard to get out of a "phase", and know exactly where "you want to be", teens/youth need to experience things for themselves and not be too reliant on the parents.  By working on a provider such as CLEP/MS or Sophia.org, you get to see if they're into specific subjects, see their work habits, etc before you commit and spend extra on real college courses or pay for CBE sessions/terms - let them get the hang of online education by dipping them through some recommended ACE providers.

[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Vle045

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Educational Degree Planning Help nhmimi 9 172 13 minutes ago
Last Post: davewill
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 35 673 7 hours ago
Last Post: rachel83az
  Path/degree recommendation for a 40 yr old man with no degree Freyo27 1 71 8 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree Planning- MS degree dodek101 8 357 Yesterday, 10:30 PM
Last Post: Captainrekt000
  Potential Degree Input, Please curious 4 155 Yesterday, 06:39 AM
Last Post: curious
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 22 1,489 03-26-2024, 11:54 PM
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 28 1,859 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM
  Masters Degree in Texas Melhux 3 183 03-26-2024, 05:45 AM
  Almost 40 year old with foreign BA in English degree and Santa Monica College Cert KMcLean 12 959 03-25-2024, 08:12 PM
  IT Degree Options Advice theredwallflower 4 566 03-23-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: theredwallflower