Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
IBCLC to RA Doctorate
(10-14-2022, 04:43 PM)newdegree Wrote: For Liberty University see below on admission requirements for DBA, they got a number of doctoral programs and they do indeed accept nationally accredited degrees.

https://www.liberty.edu/online/business/...uirements/

"Mail official transcripts (a sealed, unopened copy or sent via a direct electronic transcript system) showing an earned master’s degree in business or a business-related field with at least 30 hours of graduate business credit from a regionally or nationally accredited institution. You may also file a transcript request form to allow Liberty to attempt to request your transcripts on your behalf. Additional requirements will be necessary for the DBA in accounting and information systems areas of study.* A cumulative GPA of 3.00 or above is required for entrance into the program."

Thank you so much for the link!

(10-14-2022, 06:41 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Basically, for the cheap, easy, fast master's option, I would skip NA U of People MEd Advanced Teaching for a WGU Masters option instead as it'll be RA and the cost is virtually the same if you can finish in 1 term of 6 months.  Since you're looking into Education, the MBA/MSML may not be the option to take...

My main hesitation with WGU is that I am not confident I will be able to finish in 1 term. On their website, they say 70% of students finish it within 20 months, which would be 3 terms. So I am nervous I would not be able to finish it quickly. I guess I need to see how much time people are spending on it to finish it so quickly. I anticipate having 10 to 15 hours a week for sure to do this. Some weeks maybe more, but I don't anticipate regularly having more time. But, I am open to doing a business degree. I feel like it would give me more skills that I don't generally associate with myself. I am good at learning and do think I would move more quickly than a typical degree schedule. I am just scared that I couldn't do it in one term. I mean are people saying it is THAT easy? It's like I feel like I need a guarantee that I can get it done in that time frame that's all. Thank you so much for responding! I value your input very much, as I know you are an expert in these matters!

I have thought about doing the WGU online learning design masters in the education department. It would certainly line up with what I am doing at my job at the college. But, again, is that one easily done quickly?
(10-15-2022, 06:21 PM)inoele Wrote:

My main hesitation with WGU is that I am not confident I will be able to finish in 1 term. On their website, they say 70% of students finish it within 20 months, which would be 3 terms. So I am nervous I would not be able to finish it quickly. I guess I need to see how much time people are spending on it to finish it so quickly. I anticipate having 10 to 15 hours a week for sure to do this. Some weeks maybe more, but I don't anticipate regularly having more time. But, I am open to doing a business degree. I feel like it would give me more skills that I don't generally associate with myself. I am good at learning and do think I would move more quickly than a typical degree schedule. I am just scared that I couldn't do it in one term. I mean are people saying it is THAT easy? It's like I feel like I need a guarantee that I can get it done in that time frame that's all. Thank you so much for responding! I value your input very much, as I know you are an expert in these matters!

I have thought about doing the WGU online learning design masters in the education department. It would certainly line up with what I am doing at my job at the college. But, again, is that one easily done quickly?

After reading various social media posts from WGU students, it seems like most begin with a handful of credits - the bare minimum WGU requires. Most students aren't aware of the ACE courses they can complete and transfer in.
(10-16-2022, 08:53 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(10-15-2022, 06:21 PM)inoele Wrote:

After reading various social media posts from WGU students, it seems like most begin with a handful of credits - the bare minimum WGU requires. Most students aren't aware of the ACE courses they can complete and transfer in.

Are you talking about graduate credits? I am talking about WGU masters degrees. What credits are people transferring in to the masters program? Where are they getting these cheap graduate credits? Thank you for responding!
(10-16-2022, 09:08 AM)inoele Wrote: Are you talking about graduate credits? I am talking about WGU masters degrees. What credits are people transferring in to the masters program? Where are they getting these cheap graduate credits? Thank you for responding!

Most of what you see on various platforms are undergraduate students. They can transfer in classes. The only master's that can transfer in specific credits are the IT master's. If you're looking at the business master's degrees, you can't transfer in any credit.

That 70% is also referring to undergrads.
(10-16-2022, 09:16 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(10-16-2022, 09:08 AM)inoele Wrote: Are you talking about graduate credits? I am talking about WGU masters degrees. What credits are people transferring in to the masters program? Where are they getting these cheap graduate credits? Thank you for responding!

Most of what you see on various platforms are undergraduate students. They can transfer in classes. The only master's that can transfer in specific credits are the IT master's. If you're looking at the business master's degrees, you can't transfer in any credit.

That 70% is also referring to undergrads.

Okay, thank you! So, I guess you are implying with your last statement that 20 months to completion includes undergrads, which means masters always finish much faster?
(10-16-2022, 09:20 AM)inoele Wrote: Okay, thank you! So, I guess you are implying with your last statement that 20 months to completion includes undergrads, which means masters always finish much faster?

Master's degrees are much shorter than bachelor's degree - far fewer credits. Sure there are probably some people taking 20 months to complete a master's degree.....but they are only completing like 3-4 classes over 6 months which is really slow for a CBE program which is what WGU is.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • inoele
(10-14-2022, 03:40 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Getting a doctorate from an RA school without a master's from an RA school may prove challenging. You're much better off getting an RA master's degree. Are you in the US?

I decided to contact ACE admissions to see how they reacted to some of my masters options when I am interested in the EdD Public Health Education. They told me that they do accept U of the People. When I asked about getting an MBA, they said it wouldn't hurt my chances but "it helps to have a masters in a related field." So, my options of education and public health masters were agreeable to them. I asked about some specific foreign degrees I was interested in and they just said I had to submit NACES transcript evaluation to find out if the degree qualifies.
[-] The following 1 user Likes inoele's post:
  • cerich67
(10-17-2022, 11:18 AM)inoele Wrote:
(10-14-2022, 03:40 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Getting a doctorate from an RA school without a master's from an RA school may prove challenging. You're much better off getting an RA master's degree. Are you in the US?

I decided to contact ACE admissions to see how they reacted to some of my masters options when I am interested in the EdD Public Health Education. They told me that they do accept U of the People. When I asked about getting an MBA, they said it wouldn't hurt my chances but "it helps to have a masters in a related field." So, my options of education and public health masters were agreeable to them. I asked about some specific foreign degrees I was interested in and they just said I had to submit NACES transcript evaluation to find out if the degree qualifies.

I also heard back from another ACE admissions counselor who explained their generous internal transfer policy if I decide to do my masters with them along with the EdD. They said that by getting a masters from ACE, they would transfer 18 of those credits to the doctorate program, thus reducing the time and cost of the doctorate. There is also a small grant they offer alumni. It would bring the cost down for the EdD from $24K to around $16.2K. Honestly, that is significantly cheaper than me doing U of People or WGU masters (in 6 months) and then going to ACE for doctorate. So, I think I have my obvious path if I am settled on their doctorate program. It only makes sense to just do one of their masters degrees. Thank you everyone for all your help!
[-] The following 1 user Likes inoele's post:
  • rachel83az
You can transfer more credits to the university of the cumberlands EdD
Degrees In Progress:
EVMS Doctor of Health Science
Completed Degrees:
Doctor of Healthcare Administration Dec 2021 
Masters of Business Administration July 2022
Masters of Public Administration '19
Masters of Arts in Urban Affairs '17
Masters of Arts in Criminal Justice '16
Bachelors of Science in Police Studies '14
Advanced Graduate Certificate in Criminal Investigations '15
[-] The following 1 user Likes newdegree's post:
  • inoele
Hello, it's very curious how similar our stories are. I am also a Christian on my way to an IBCLC currently.  Smile you didn't ask about this, but there are cheaper ways to do the IBCLC...there are free/low cost options for piecing together the 95 hrs of training rather than taking it all together and I could tell you about them if interested. Also if you work for WIC as a peer breastfeeding counselor (often hybrid or work from home positions) you wouldn't have to pay for the internship and instead would get paid. That's what I'm doing. 
As far as grad degrees go, sounds like maybe you figured it out already, but the cheapest option I know of for Christians interested in service is Bethany Theological Seminary, they have scholarships that get it down to $1000 per term.     Blessings to you! And I'll be curious if you start a lactation program at your college. I'd be interested in teaching there perhaps. Feel free to message if you'd like to stay in touch.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Country Preview : Graduate/Doctorate Degrees in Malaysia bjcheung77 11 2,355 01-13-2024, 11:34 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  European Professional Doctorate Unlucky 33 3,689 10-01-2023, 04:37 AM
Last Post: Unlucky
  Little Rock Information Science Doctorate, any new Information alexvictorwhite 7 1,968 09-21-2020, 12:26 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  Aspen University: online Doctorate in Computer Science sciencemathematics1 22 4,719 08-26-2020, 01:54 AM
Last Post: sciencemathematics1
  Help on a Doctorate in Psychology johnjaxs 18 4,004 02-08-2019, 06:46 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Self-Paced Doctorate CS? or Cybersecurity? stretcharmy 0 887 01-03-2017, 11:00 AM
Last Post: stretcharmy