Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grrrr....Us History I
I can't seem to make over a 48 on the Petersons practice test! I need to pass US History I so I can start my teaching program at WGU (they wouldn't take my Western Civ I & II as my history- I have a BS already) Should I just study hard the rest of the week (been at this a month) and take a shot on the CLEP Monday? I feel like I'm never going to get this stuff down!

Oh and I got a 61 on the REA test in the book. don't know if that makes a difference.
The Petersons tests are notorious for being more in depth and generally harder than the actual CLEP tests. They also tend to have a bunch questions of types that the CLEPS don't have on them, in my experience. (American Literature, I'm looking at you and your biographical questions... )

I haven't taken the US History CLEPS, so I can't comment directly on the Petersons content. If you're hitting near 50 on the Petersons and 60 on the REA tests, you should* be able to pass the CLEP... Maybe not by much, but you may just suprise yourself.

[SIZE="1"]*Your mileage may vary; taxes, tags, title excluded; Do not fold, spindle, mutilate, or use near open flame; Always wear protective headgear while playing polo, unless it is the water version.[/SIZE]
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Wile E. Coyote, genius. I am not selling anything nor am I working my way through college, so let's get down to basics: you are a rabbit and I am going to eat you for supper. Now don't try to get away, I am more muscular, more cunning, faster and larger than you are, and I am a genius, while you could hardly pass the entrance examinations to kindergarten, so I'll give you the customary two minutes to say your prayers.

Bachelor of Science in PsychoRabbitology degree
Master of Education with a specialty in Rabbit-specific destructive munitions (or eLearning & Technology, I forget which)
Doctor of Philosophy in Wile E. Leadership with an area of specialty in Acme Mind Expansion - 2017 Hopefully
I'm taking the US History I CLEP today at 11 (in just a few hours, eeek!) I will let you know how I do. I scored a 61 (56%) on the first REA practice test, and then a 68 on the second one. If I have time I will take a Peterson's and let you know how I do. This seems to be a tough test, with 120 questions to answer in 90 minutes...but hopefully that means they'll give a little more leeway in the grading process.
[SIZE="1"]Tests passed:
CLEP Eng. Comp. w/Essay 65
CLEP Humanities 71
CLEP Human Growth and Development 61
CLEP Western Civ. I 63
CLEP Social Sciences and History 60
CLEP College Math 80
CLEP College Algebra 80
CLEP American Lit. 66
CLEP English Lit 66
CLEP A&I Lit 74
CLEP Introductory Psych 73
CLEP Introductory Soc 70
CLEP US History I 64
CLEP Natural Sciences 58
DSST Technical Writing 71
DSST Here's To Your Health 431
DSST Intro to World Religions 452
DSST Art of the Western World 66

Courses passed:
BCC Shakespeare I - A
BCC Writing Fiction I - A
BCC Writing Poetry I - A
BCC Drawing for Animation I - A
BCC Accounting 101 - A
TESC Intro to Children's Lit - A
TESC Literary Roots of Western Culture - A
TESC African Encounters - A

18 FEMA credits passed

I'M ALL DONE!! Thank you, Lord! :coolgleam:
[/SIZE]
thanks! I'll keep an eye out for your post. Good luck!
If you have some time today run over to hippocampus.org and watch the US History 1 sections you've been missing. I loved this "illustrated audio textbook" approach and passed with a great score (after using REA too).

Passed:

American Gov, US History 1, US History 2, Computing, Info Systems, Humanities, Sociology, Art, Western Civ I, Western Civ II, Social Sciences and History, Civil War, Business, Vietnam, A&I Lit, Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice, American Lit, English Lit, Astronomy, Supervision, 1 FEMA, Total -79
I took this exam last year.

For me the Peterson's exams were very frustrating for this topic. (I did fine with other topics.) I would recommend focusing your practice test time on REA and historyteacher.net quizzes. I ended up just reading through the Peterson's questions and correct answers, so I would learn the material without confusing myself.

I left my feedback here:

http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...#post52148

Best wishes on your exam!
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
Okay so I just took the Peterson's practice exam and did horrible. 63 wrong out of 120. :mad: I'm going to review the correct answers, read a little more in my Barron's American History The Easy Way book, and then go for it. I'll let you know how it goes.
[SIZE="1"]Tests passed:
CLEP Humanities 71
CLEP Western Civ. I 63
CLEP College Math 80
CLEP College Algebra 80
CLEP American Lit. 66
CLEP English Lit 66
CLEP A&I Lit 74
CLEP Introductory Soc 70
CLEP US History I 64
CLEP Natural Sciences 58

Courses passed:
BCC Shakespeare I - A
BCC Writing Poetry I - A
BCC Accounting 101 - A

18 FEMA credits passed

[/SIZE]
mommydoodle Wrote:I can't seem to make over a 48 on the Petersons practice test! I need to pass US History I so I can start my teaching program at WGU (they wouldn't take my Western Civ I & II as my history- I have a BS already) Should I just study hard the rest of the week (been at this a month) and take a shot on the CLEP Monday? I feel like I'm never going to get this stuff down!

Oh and I got a 61 on the REA test in the book. don't know if that makes a difference.

Review your REA for the rest of the week and put this bad boy behind you. You are probably on the pass line, and the test bank is random- so you may end up with a good chunk of questions based on the areas you know well, and knock it out of the park...or they could sneak in a few of your weaker areas and cause you to fall short. Just study the REA and schedule it. Memorize the constitution stuff and brain dump if necessary. Worse thing you can do now is start going too deep. Remember to keep it general . Stick with one book- if you hit the internet, you're going to spin off course. Schedule it now, don't keep dragging it out. I always found that I did my best study in the day or two before the test. Good Luck!
I'm the same as you, Jennifer - do my best studying the day before the test. Just played the piano for 10 minutes to relax my mind, now I'm off to take the history test. Be back later. Wish me luck!
[SIZE="1"]Tests passed:
CLEP Humanities 71
CLEP Western Civ. I 63
CLEP College Math 80
CLEP College Algebra 80
CLEP American Lit. 66
CLEP English Lit 66
CLEP A&I Lit 74
CLEP Introductory Soc 70
CLEP US History I 64
CLEP Natural Sciences 58

Courses passed:
BCC Shakespeare I - A
BCC Writing Poetry I - A
BCC Accounting 101 - A

18 FEMA credits passed

[/SIZE]
Thanks for the feedback! I think I'll go ahead and schedule Monday, study REA and my Barron's book. DD goes back to school tomorrow so it will be 3 days of quiet I can read and process. Hopefully by Monday I can get the 50 I need.

Good luck Greatwall!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com for World History TECEP bannerfield 4 1,088 09-27-2023, 03:43 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  History of Degree Awarding Tomes MichaelGates 2 496 07-06-2023, 06:15 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Legacy Admissions with Anti-Semitic History Challenged sanantone 2 495 07-04-2023, 12:53 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  JD & Masters History - 22 year old bjcheung77 0 458 04-24-2023, 12:13 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Help with Coopersmith's (PSY-304) History and Systems of Psychology Ben2020 13 2,360 03-07-2023, 08:13 PM
Last Post: Ypsiterroir
  Has anyone taken the ONU Your Way HIS 379 Latin American History and Politics course Insert Name 10 1,336 03-13-2022, 08:04 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Torah College's A Social History of Jewish Food -- ISO feedback sammeecat 9 1,900 08-24-2021, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Cmglaser08
  Looking For UPPER LEVEL History Courses tls7291 7 1,210 05-04-2021, 11:41 PM
Last Post: tls7291
Big Grin CLEP US HISTORY II Advice basol007 2 1,253 03-14-2021, 02:14 PM
Last Post: basol007
  Looking For TESU World History Alternatives tls7291 4 1,082 01-13-2021, 02:10 PM
Last Post: rachel83az