Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old LPN courses
I am currently enrolled in the General degree program at IU, taking on line courses. They do not give credit for all of my LPN nursing courses taken back in the 80's, only for the speech, psych and rhetoric that were prereqs. Does anyone know if TESC gives credit for the LPN program classes?
At the rate I'm going, I'll be 90 before I graduate from IU. I've been laid off since April (no, nursing is not always safe from economic disasters), and I would like to have a degree to show when looking for a new line of work.
"The only thing that separates us from the animals is our ability to accessorize!" Clairee in "Steel Magnolias"
BA General Studies COSC 5/31/15
COSC Cornerstone A 10/2013, Capstone A 11/2014
UExel- Social Psych A, Psych of A and A- A, Research Methods/Psych B, Pathophysiology A.
FEMA- 27, NFA-Q118, Q 534, Q137 and Q318
Clep- 2008 Humanities 75, 2009 Intro Sociology 67, US History I 69, US History II 61, American Lit. 71, Analyze & Int. Lit. 75, 2011 Western Civ. ll 58, Social Science 67
DSST-2010 HTYH 463, Ethics in America 433, Sub. Abuse 444, 2011 Art of the Western World 67, Civil War and Recon. 58, Org. Behavior 64, 2010 Env. and Humanity 68, Hist. of the Vietnam War 76, 2011 Intro World Religions 451, 2013 Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union 62, Technical Writing 60, Business Ethics and Society 449.
TEEX- 2013 Cyber Security classes x 3
DACC and IU: Speech, Psych, Rhetoric, Creative Writing
ZsaZsa Wrote:I am currently enrolled in the General degree program at IU, taking on line courses. They do not give credit for all of my LPN nursing courses taken back in the 80's, only for the speech, psych and rhetoric that were prereqs. Does anyone know if TESC gives credit for the LPN program classes?
At the rate I'm going, I'll be 90 before I graduate from IU. I've been laid off since April (no, nursing is not always safe from economic disasters), and I would like to have a degree to show when looking for a new line of work.
>>

Since LPN courses are considered career couses (applied technology aka occupational studies) they will generally only count as FREE ELECTIVES at TESC. If you were to enroll in a LPN to BSN completion type program, they almost always award at least something in the major of nursing. The programs I have looked at award credit for 1 semester of nursing, which only amounts to about 12 credits.
The reason you get credit for prereqs speech,psych, etc is because those courses are considered general education courses- TESC will also award credit for those.
How many LPN credits do you have? We could do an unofficial evaluation just for fun. What credits do you have that are not in your siggy line, and what program are you looking at at TESC?
Check into Excelsior College. They not only have nursing degrees but they also have a BSHS (Bachelors of Science in Health Sciences?/Services?) I think that's what it is called. I think they require you to have worked in the health field and over 20 - 26 or more health related credits to be even eligible to start that. It is more for administration purposes in the health sciences.

Register on their site, it is no cost, and then you can access their information on their any and all of their programs.

I chose to do liberal arts related, as they took old credits going back to 1970. At least check them out.

Hey, Marianne202, are you out there to clarify this information?
Yes Judy, you are correct. Excelsior is a good fit for someone with job experience and credits in any health field. You can do the RN program (just make sure your State BON accepts an EC RN degree) or the health sciences degree that offers 3 areas for your major: health care management, end of life care and health education (patient teaching). I'm not sure what your background has been or where you are looking to for future work, but it might be a good place to look around. All of their programs are online, except for the nursing weekend clinical assessment. They offer courses and exams. They also don't have a limit on the number of CLEP / DSST exams or outside credit they will accept. I will finish my BSHS in about 18 months. It would have been within a year if they didn't cancel one of my classes twice or if I could have taken more than one class per term. Classes start every other month and run either 8 wks or 15 wks. I second Judy's advice to register for free on their website www.excelsior.edu and look at their catalogs and see if you find anything you like. Good luck! Let me know if you have any othe questions. I will do my best to help. Welcome!
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

RHIA Post-Bac Cert - Stephens - 5/13
MHA - Bellevue Univ - 3/12
BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Found. of Gerontology - B
ECE - Ethics: Theory & Practice - B
ECE - Psych. of Adulthood & Aging - A
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - Abnormal Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B
ECE - Research Methods of Psych. - B
ECE - Pathophysiology - A

CLEP - American Govt - 58
CLEP - Intro. to Sociology - 63
CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - Fund. of Counseling - A (65)
DSST - Org. Behavior - A (67)
DSST - Environment & Humanity - A (62)
DSST - Found. of Education - A (64)
DSST - Here's to Your Health - 461 (Pass)
DSST - Substance Abuse - 460 (Pass)
DSST - Principles of Supervision - A (61)
DSST - Lifespan Developmental Psych - A (59)
DSST - Criminal Justice - 443 (Pass)
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
UExcel - Intro. to Psych (Beta)- Pass
ALEKS - College Alg, Stats
Straighterline - Medical Term, Pharmacology I & II
FEMA - PDS + more
When I first enrolled at TESC I sent them all my transcripts including nursing courses from 1972. THe nursing school had closed down, but I know it was well thought of in its time. I do not know if it was accredited.

TESC would not take anything from the nursing school. I later sent them the transcripts from the CC where we(nursing school students) also took classes and TESC did take those.

So I think it would depend on where you got your LPN and what certification it had.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Lindagerr Wrote:When I first enrolled at TESC I sent them all my transcripts including nursing courses from 1972. THe nursing school had closed down, but I know it was well thought of in its time. I do not know if it was accredited.

TESC would not take anything from the nursing school. I later sent them the transcripts from the CC where we(nursing school students) also took classes and TESC did take those.

So I think it would depend on where you got your LPN and what certification it had.
>>

Linda, as part of the natural science degree, did they use the courses as free electives?
The courses I took at the CC went into my BA in natural Science in there areas(science, Social science) the nursing school courses were just turned down because TESC said they didn't recognize the school. I probably should have persued this further, it was until a few years ago A NJ accredited diploma Nursing school. When I first applied to TESC I had no idea about different accreditations and I just let things go.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Thanks so much for the feedback. I am wanting to get a liberal arts/ history degree, not nursing. I've been a nurse since 1985, and am ready for something different. (I don't think I want to be a nurse when I grow up!)I do genealogy and history research as a hobby, write for magazines and have written a how-to genealogy book, but without a CV mentioning education/degrees etc. publishers are leary, even with my years of experience.
My LPN came from Danville Area College, Danville IL. I'll try to make sense of the transcript:
Intro Psych 3.00 credit, grade A
Rhetoric I 3.00 credit grade A
Speech/Oral comm. 3.00 credit, grade A
Nursing courses:
Human Body-Struc.-HENUR 150G 6.00 credit, grade A
Con & Prin PN HENUR 151A 8.00 credit, grade A
Pharmacology HENUR 200G 2.00 credit, grade A
Care Adult Clin HENUR 154A 4.00 credit, grade B
Care Adult IL I HENUR 153A 8.00 credit, grade A
Matern-Child Care HENUR 155A 8.00 credit, grade A

I also have Creative Writing 301 from IU 3 credit, grade A, and the fema and cleps as given below, and am currently taking Colonial History from IU, will be 3 more upper level credits when done. Any suggestions are welcome, I'm not leaning toward any particular school yet, but since I'm still laid off, money is also a real issue.
(It may not be good for anything, but I also have documentation for literally hundreds of hours of continuing medical education.)
This site is great- it helps just to know there are other people out there struggling with this.
"The only thing that separates us from the animals is our ability to accessorize!" Clairee in "Steel Magnolias"
BA General Studies COSC 5/31/15
COSC Cornerstone A 10/2013, Capstone A 11/2014
UExel- Social Psych A, Psych of A and A- A, Research Methods/Psych B, Pathophysiology A.
FEMA- 27, NFA-Q118, Q 534, Q137 and Q318
Clep- 2008 Humanities 75, 2009 Intro Sociology 67, US History I 69, US History II 61, American Lit. 71, Analyze & Int. Lit. 75, 2011 Western Civ. ll 58, Social Science 67
DSST-2010 HTYH 463, Ethics in America 433, Sub. Abuse 444, 2011 Art of the Western World 67, Civil War and Recon. 58, Org. Behavior 64, 2010 Env. and Humanity 68, Hist. of the Vietnam War 76, 2011 Intro World Religions 451, 2013 Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union 62, Technical Writing 60, Business Ethics and Society 449.
TEEX- 2013 Cyber Security classes x 3
DACC and IU: Speech, Psych, Rhetoric, Creative Writing
Well, should you decide to go with TESC, here is what you have (now just use these to plug into the slots for any various degree you are looking at)

Social Science - 15 credits
Intro Psych 3.00 credit, grade A
01/2009 Intro Sociology 67
01/2009 US History I 69
02/2009 US History II 61
Colonial History from IU

Humanities - 27 credits
Rhetoric I 3.00 credit grade A
Speech/Oral comm. 3.00 credit, grade A
11/2008 Humanities 75
04/2009 American Lit. 71
04/2009 Analyze & Int. Lit. 75
Creative Writing 301 from IU 3 credit, grade A,

Math and Natural Sciences - 0 credits

Free Electives - 56 credits
Human Body-Struc.-HENUR 150G 6.00 credit, grade A
Con & Prin PN HENUR 151A 8.00 credit, grade A
Pharmacology HENUR 200G 2.00 credit, grade A
Care Adult Clin HENUR 154A 4.00 credit, grade B
Care Adult IL I HENUR 153A 8.00 credit, grade A
Matern-Child Care HENUR 155A 8.00 credit, grade A
FEMA- 20 and counting

My suggestion is to stop the FEMA classes until you know for sure about your LPN classes. If TESC takes them, in a history or liberal studies degree they will be free electives- so you'd be finished in that category. In history degree, your humanities excess will overflow into general education electives. My suggestion is to start thinking about a 100 level math class. Both history and liberal arts allow you to meet that requirement with a simple class like ALEKS' Beginning Algebra. It's the cheapest, at only $20 for 30 days. As for the actual in-major classes, I think a couple people here are working on history degrees, and can hopefully guide you in that subject.

For what it's worth, I applaud you for following your dreams! cheersmate
Have you considered getting a degree in genealogy? I think that would be so much fun!

(It would probably be much more expensive, though. I would hope financial aid would be available for it.)
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Courses/Exams at a Cheaper Price and TESU Admissions Question UnbreakablyDetermined 12 4,391 09-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Are there any Shmoop courses that Charter Oak will accept as upper level? nosey561 2 2,048 08-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Last Post: nosey561
  TESU September Graduation: Adding extra courses to transcript by latest 08/31/2018? Nightmoves5 7 2,052 08-19-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Liberal Studies General Coursework won't be filled by BUS or CIS courses? posabsolute 5 1,708 08-01-2018, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Lewis.Yim
  CIS vs COS courses for a BALS concentration in CS at TESU jeffreymb 1 1,220 07-25-2018, 10:37 AM
Last Post: posabsolute
  TESU Psychology courses & grad school prospects. advancedmemetics 5 1,711 07-06-2018, 11:35 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Two More UL Courses and Capstone MrBossmanJr 17 3,436 06-27-2018, 08:13 AM
Last Post: MrBossmanJr
  TEEX Courses at TESU BSLIONS 25 6,682 06-11-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: maplefu
  Excelsior Ethics courses radconjohn 10 2,985 06-01-2018, 12:28 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help Choosing Final Accounting Courses AMRH94 10 2,813 05-10-2018, 07:42 AM
Last Post: AMRH94