Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
11th Hour Degree Change and Questions
I am almost done with my BSBA, but at this 11[SUP]th[/SUP] hour, I’m considering a degree program change. It is minimal, but I’m looking for feedback on sellability in the job market, a neighborhood I usually have a degree of confidence, but I tend to second-guess myself when it comes to applying it in my own case.

The degree I am currently seeking is a BSBA-Human Resources/Organizational Mgmt, and while I enjoy some aspects of the field, I really only selected it because it is one of many job responsibilities I have in my present job and the one I am least familiar with and could use the most training…but I do not know that it is what I would want to do for a living by itself if something were to happen to my present job. I am only missing the following courses to complete the BSBA-HROM:
  • Human Resources Mgmt (currently enrolled, took midterm today)
  • HROM elective – Sociology of Work (currently enrolled, halfway done)
  • HROM elective – Small Business Mgmt (currently enrolled, took midterm today)
  • Bus. Letter & Report Writing (currently enrolled Penn Foster)
  • Business in Society (plan to take DSST)
  • Free elective (yet to be determined, but looking for an easy CLEP or DSST)
I am considering a last-minute change from the BSBA-HROM to a BSBA-General Management. I’m nervous that the HROM specialization will limit my resume sellability if something ever does happen, and I would like to keep options open. If I do that, I would drop Small Business Mgmt (lightening my current course load so I can finish the Penn Foster course faster, and start studying for the DSST exam). Using TESC’s evaluation tool, that change would leave the following courses:
  • Human Resources Mgmt (currently enrolled, took midterm today)
  • GM elective – Sociology of Work (currently enrolled, halfway done)
  • Bus. Letter & Report Writing (currently enrolled Penn Foster)
  • Business in Society (plan to take DSST)
I have more than enough UL credits already that the loss of MAN432 would not disrupt graduation requirements, and one of my current free electives would move up to fill the Business ele where Small Bus Mgmt currently sits. I’m not worried about the lack of a refund – I’m on comprehensive tuition and have already received my money’s worth (I will still have earned 33 credits on the tuition plan, in addition to testing and Penn Foster credits this year), particularly if I can get a lighter course load the next six weeks and replace it with a test that I can finish in an afternoon. With the course there, I do not have enough free time to start studying yet, which means I will need to pay an enrollment extension to get enough time to finish those last tests. If I can lighten my load, I think I can squeeze in study time to knock it all out as I finish the other two courses. Either way, I'm between 6-12 weeks from being done, and it feels goooood, but I think I can shorten it to 6 and save a bit more sanity. Not that I have much left after this year. I'll have finished 60 credits in 12 months, 33-36 of which will be through TESC courses, with the rest a mix of testing and Penn Foster sprinkled on top. It's not as fantastic as many here have accomplished, but with the family, work, and health issues that have come up along with it, I earned all As except one B, and am pretty darn proud. If I could just borrow your brains for this last sounding board question, I think I'll be all set!

Questions
  1. Would the BSBA-General Mgmt be more useful in the pursuit of another Office Manager-type position, versus a BSBA-HROM?
  2. I’m looking for two DSST or CLEP exams to fill free elective slots that would require minimal or no studying, that I could possibly take the same day that I go for Business in Society. Suggestions?
BSBA, HR / Organizational Mgmt - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
- TESC Chapter of Sigma Beta Delta International Honor Society for Business, Management and Administration
- Arnold Fletcher Award

AAS, Environmental, Safety, & Security Technologies - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
AS, Business Administration - Thomas Edison State College, March 2012

Messages In This Thread
11th Hour Degree Change and Questions - by mrs.b - 05-19-2012, 06:31 PM
11th Hour Degree Change and Questions - by mrs.b - 05-19-2012, 06:57 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,201 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,858 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
Question TESU - current status "Applicant" - how to change to "Enrolled?" Kelly Green 3 2,046 09-07-2018, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Kelly Green
  TESU BALS and Questions TexasTink 20 5,115 09-06-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: TexasTink
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,344 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,672 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,867 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,776 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 5,003 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,963 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM