Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are there two right answers for this problem?
Peterson's Practice Tests for CLEP Biology Test 3 - Section 1:
Return to Section Report
Prev Question: 15 of 115 Next
Jump to question:

This is a problem from the Peterson's Online CLEP biology test. It seems to me that both "c" and "e" are correct since viruses do contain RNA and there own proteins and enzymes. Is this just an error on Peterson's behalf, or am I missing something here? I am taking the bio exam tomorrow, and am just trying to make sure I have all my bases covered. I have scored 77, 66,and 67 on the three Peterson's tests. Am I ready?

All of the following are differences between viruses and prokaryotic cells EXCEPT

a. prokaryotic cells can move and reproduce on their own.

b. organelles are not present in viruses.

c. viruses do not contain their own proteins or enzymes.

d. prokaryotic cells have surface proteins for docking to other cells and molecules.

e. RNA is not present in viruses.

The correct answer is C. Viruses can contain either DNA or RNA as genetic material, and some even have their own enzymes such as reverse transcriptase found in HIV. While viruses cannot reproduce or move on their own and do not have organelles, they do have surface proteins used for virus-to-cell recognition.

Messages In This Thread
Are there two right answers for this problem? - by bassinbros - 05-30-2012, 01:12 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with Balance Sheet Problem craigfin 2 2,262 04-11-2016, 04:22 PM
Last Post: craigfin
  Work Word Problem NJGx03x871 4 2,299 07-16-2014, 10:09 PM
Last Post: NJGx03x871
  Simple Math Problem - It's been a while... NJGx03x871 5 2,523 06-29-2014, 05:25 PM
Last Post: Lindagerr
  Marketing Problem Drummerboy 7 3,655 08-23-2007, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Drummerboy