Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Post 9/11 GI Bill and Excelsior College Exams
Leherself Wrote:I must be being very unclear.

What I originally meant, and thought I'd restated more clearly, was that Excelsior reports their *exams* as *distance courses*. So if you take a full course load of just exams, you get online-rate MHA. (This is in contrast with other methods of testing - like CLEP or DSST - which count as credit but do not count toward your status as a full or part-time student when using the GI Bill. You could earn 50 credits from CLEP in a week and as far as the GI Bill is concerned you didn't do anything.)

Then, if you *also* take an *in-person, butt in seat, brick and mortar* class at the *same time* that you're taking the exams (and assuming that you've gone through the whole approval process with Excelsior advisors, etc.), *then* you can get the full MHA rate according to where you take your local class.

Therefore, by taking at least one *actual B&M class* in a semester, plus 3-4 Excelsior exams, you would get paid the same as if you were taking 4-5 actual classes (combination of B&M and online). I was excited about this when I first found out, as I find exams to be much less work and much less time consuming than online classes, which is important for me since I work full time and have other commitments.

I'm not sure how that got misconstrued as "Excelsior is telling the VA that exams are in-person classes". They aren't. That's not what I meant, and I don't think that's what I said. As far as I'm aware, Excelsior doesn't actually offer *any* on-campus courses - so the only classes that Excelsior has are online ones, so if I referred to their classes generically, that's what I meant.

I've been active duty, veteran, national guard, and DA civilian, with combined experience of about a decade at this point. I think I'm pretty aware of how the system works. I'm just *not* apparently as good at communicating my understanding to others. This is my last attempt - after that, I'm giving up, lol.

This post I can agree with. It is well known that the VA will pay full MHA for a full semester course load with AT LEAST one butt in seat class as you stated. The way your original post construed made it sound as if VA was treating EC exams as butt in seat classes. The main reason this interpretation was extrapolated by me, was your mention of your local MHA rate and that you are receiving $2K per month without you making reference of taking ANY in-person courses.

I now understand that you were merely trying to convey that EC exams can be used to gain FT status with the VA. I want to re-iterate again, I was just trying to look out for you and any lurker who may come on this site and see your OP as, hey, EC exams will get you full MHA.

I always try to look out for fellow vets. I'm feeling a little extra emotional about it today because I saw a hearse on the highway with a US Flag draped coffin inside. Again, I wish you the best in your education. Thanks for clarifying, and please continue to share new info and ideas.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.

Messages In This Thread
Post 9/11 GI Bill and Excelsior College Exams - by Prloko - 04-09-2015, 07:07 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  GI Bill Hacking? spohara 8 2,326 07-02-2023, 08:08 AM
Last Post: joejoe2482
Information US Naval Community College Pilot MNomadic 2 1,600 04-26-2022, 03:48 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  9/11 GI BILL QUESTION smf6824 5 1,976 03-10-2022, 04:04 AM
Last Post: Insert Name
Star DAU Courses Available Online and For College Credit kvolivera 89 25,873 04-14-2021, 06:12 PM
  GI Bill for independent and distance learning options BBryant165 1 1,319 08-20-2020, 12:23 AM
  Free Challenge Exams? Marcus Aurelius 4 2,959 08-08-2018, 08:14 AM
Last Post: rach03
  The most Military/Veteran friendly College Commencements! Life Long Learning 42 8,774 06-07-2018, 07:18 PM
Last Post: ShotoJuku
  Engineering Technology programs: Excelsior vs TESU MNomadic 13 9,512 02-21-2018, 06:36 PM
  7 months of post 9/11 after completing masters subhuman 4 2,248 02-08-2018, 01:31 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Anyone do the Naval War College MA in Security Studies? johnw 0 2,291 01-24-2018, 11:03 PM
Last Post: johnw