Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clarification on MA and Phd
Yanji Wrote:I agree with this. (although I'm not sure about the >95% part) I think the reason is that online PhDs are not designed for traditional academia-bound students and are for students with very specific mid-to-late career goals, which makes already having an advanced degree make more sense.

Master's degrees generally function as either stepping stone/consolation prize degrees on the way to a PhD or are professional degrees like the MBA/MFA. In many fields such as Economics, Engineering, Education, etc. a Master's degree can also function as a quasi-terminal degree for industry practitioners who require an advanced degree but are not involved in academia. The amount of time/effort required to complete a MA vs a PhD is huge. A bit of extra coursework (usually research seminars and the like) is only part of getting a PhD, which requires a substantial amount of research far beyond what is required for a MA thesis/capstone. There's a reason why most PhD programs are (at least partially) funded - the commitment is much bigger and extensive involvement in academia is required for at least a few years.

Ok,then 99% Smile Seriously, I've never even found 1. But, I don't spend "all" my time researching lol. I'm sure there are some...somewhere.

Does anyone know of an online doctorate program that doesn't require a master's degree for admission?

Messages In This Thread
Clarification on MA and Phd - by videogamesrock - 08-26-2015, 02:16 PM
Clarification on MA and Phd - by mednat - 08-26-2015, 02:44 PM
Clarification on MA and Phd - by cookderosa - 08-26-2015, 02:50 PM
Clarification on MA and Phd - by Yanji - 08-26-2015, 03:08 PM
Clarification on MA and Phd - by sanantone - 08-26-2015, 04:46 PM
Clarification on MA and Phd - by cookderosa - 08-26-2015, 08:26 PM
Clarification on MA and Phd - by sanantone - 08-26-2015, 09:59 PM