Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need guidance, combo traditional and tests possible?
I want a degree. I want to finish my Associate's and then roll into a Bachelor's program. I'm leaning toward a Finance degree, though at this point, I'd settle for pretty much any degree. I've been a housewife for over 20 years, husband is active duty military.

Currently have over 60 credits from 3 community colleges (one being CTC). To complete the degree CLASS requirements at CTC, I only need a government class, however, I bombed my last semester there because my dad died and I couldn't keep up, so in addition to needing to takes 3 more courses to have enough CTC credits to graduate there, I need like 12 classes to pull my GPA into graduation requirements. (A whole semester of Fs, and they will not waive it.) So, that's pretty cost prohibitive because I don't qualify for in-state tuition.

For the college I got most of my credits through, I need 2 classes, one being Algebra which is the bane of my existence. They have an alternative, but they don't offer it online, and I live 1200 miles away. Exams are proctored, no notes, no book. They *are* on the list on the ACE website, so I'm going to ask about whether they would accept Algebra through ACE and then I could probably get that done through ALEKS. If this route works, I still need assistance with a Bachelor's plan. *If* they will accept ACE for the 2 remaining classes, I also need a fine arts (art or theater appreciation type) or a speech/ethics/philosophy class. They won't accept the speech class I took at CTC because apparently it was a business speech class banghead Any suggestions for the fine arts/philosophy course for ACE credit?

I applied to UMUC today, I would have to take 15 credit hours there to get an Associate's and then I could roll into the Bachelor's, they're doing a tentative credit review now. This route to a Bachelor's will take forever and be expensive (like well over $20,000 for just tuition, and I suspect my husband will retire before I finish, which means $500/credit hour for at least part of it) I'd still need the Algebra, and I have no idea whether they proctor or allow books/notes for exams.

What I'd really like to do is "dual enroll" somewhere that I can try to do alternative credit while also taking actual online classes, so that I can use financial aid to help with the alternatives.

Any advice on what would be my best path to get my Associate's ASAP and then for a Bachelor's? Again, while I'm drawn to Finance (and have CC level accounting classes completed), I really just want a degree. The GS jobs I'd like to get into in a few years after my husband retires don't really care *what* the degree is in, just that you have one.

Messages In This Thread
Need guidance, combo traditional and tests possible? - by Catalytic - 09-16-2016, 12:42 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need some guidance rfisher1977 0 708 04-21-2018, 10:54 PM
Last Post: rfisher1977
Big Grin TESU guidance needed please Tripletmom 8 1,874 03-08-2018, 11:38 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Math - Looking for Guidance Gloddy 4 1,261 12-25-2017, 02:09 AM
Last Post: bsimi
  AA or BA guidance cookderosa 4 1,667 09-02-2017, 10:09 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Tesu ba psychology course guidance needed please lovewins 8 2,487 07-09-2017, 08:31 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BSBA CIS degree help/guidance! interocitor 2 1,042 05-29-2017, 01:05 PM
  Capstone registration guidance please :D Notgodot 4 1,321 05-18-2017, 06:20 AM
Last Post: Synicaal
  Need a bit of guidance TESU BSBA in International Lagspeed 3 912 03-14-2017, 10:03 PM
  I need guidance, please help! vobrodrew 6 1,153 12-17-2016, 02:53 PM
Last Post: vobrodrew
  TESU: Assistance and Guidance. Fortune212 13 1,583 11-10-2016, 07:08 PM
Last Post: ajs1976