Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
University of Maine at Presque Isle
(11-23-2019, 01:23 AM)MrsBulletPoints Wrote: I’m interested in this for my daughter.  A BALS with an Educational Studies minor might be a better solution for someone like my daughter whose PLA credits and capstone credits at TESU would be in the educational field. (She hasn't enrolled yet but has had the pre-enrollment academic evaluation.)

So, I'm going to present an option that I think would work for my daughter and others based on this thread and on the school’s website. Please correct me where I might be wrong.  (It's no longer adapted for someone with experience or credits in education and is interested in the cheapest, quickest route that's feasible and realistic. For us that means lots of FREE CLEP credits using Modern States.

Note: I started putting this together before I realized that you cannot find this info or any other info about it on the website via dropdown links. I followed a direct link (see below) to this page, which is still up, but I suspect won't be up long and that like the others, they are waiting on more info. So nere are some questions below that I don't know/can't find the answer to. The courses and their links on the UMPI page for this degree don't actually go to any course.

UMPI BA Liberal Studies w/ Educational Studies minor
Credit Requirements
·         40cr: General Education
·         21 cr from Core Educational courses
·         56cr: General Electives

This totals 117. I guess there is a 3 credit capstone or cornerstone or something. The Core Courses include upper level so I’m thinking that the minor credits required that are mentioned in this thread come from the list of required core educational courses. ???  

The 30cr residency requirement would be fulfilled with the 21 credits from the Core Educational Courses and 9 more credits including 3 credit capstone or something .

40cr General Ed:
·         6cr: UMPI 10cr: School transfers
·         10cr: PLA
·         24 30cr: CLEP / PLA

21cr Educational Minor Core Courses required (3cr each):
·         EDU 152: Intro to Education
·         EDU 153: Foundations of Education
·         EDU 210: Introduction to Pedagogy
·         EDU 302: Teaching & Learning in a Proficiency-Based System
·         EDU 305: Designing and Maintaining Effective Learning Environments
·         EDU 357: Children’s Literature
·         EDU 378: Creativity in the Classroom

56cr General  Electives
·         56cr: CLEP School transfers

3cr Requirement:
·         3cr: UMPI (Perhaps it’s a cornerstone or capstone)

Cost:
3 sessions @$1400 per 8-week session = $4200 in 24 weeks

Each course listed above lists a duration of 8 weeks, self-paced. But there is a note stating that time to complete varies by student.
Session One: 12 credits (6 core and 6 easy, e.g. Gen'l Ed)
Session Two: 9 credits (6 core and 3 easy, e.g. capstone)
Sesson Three: 9 credits (9 core)
(3 sessions = 24 weeks)

Hope this makes sense!

It is too late to edit my first post (#58) so I just edited here. My second post (#59) has the more up-to-date info.
Daughter 1: Completed: TESU BALS (CLEP, ALEKS, CollegePlus)
Daughter 2: Working on: TESU BA-LSSS
CLEP: 51 credits (Eng Comp Modular, Intro Soc, History of US I & II, Human Growth and Dev, Intro to Educational Psych, Social Sci and History, Western Civ I, Analyzing and Inter Lit, Prin of Marketing, Prin of Mgmt, French I & II)
Upcoming CLEPs: Colllege Math, Biology, Prin of Macroeconomics, Spanish I, Amer Govt
Planning to take/do: SDC, DSST
Me: UPenn BA Sociology (Many years ago, '89, and much debt at the time), Looking into debt-free distance MBA or other Master's
[-] The following 1 user Likes MrsBulletPoints's post:
  • indivinefavor

Messages In This Thread
RE: University of Maine at Presque Isle - by Mom5 - 08-21-2020, 07:03 AM
RE: University of Maine at Presque Isle - by MrsBulletPoints - 11-25-2019, 11:25 PM
University of Maine at Presque Isle - by Tedium - 08-19-2020, 03:18 PM
University of Maine at Presque Isle - by Lacedonia4 - 08-22-2020, 05:50 PM
University of Maine at Presque Isle - by Tedium - 08-24-2020, 01:01 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  University of the People Transfer Credits diaosteve 6 1,007 06-15-2022, 05:22 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  WES or WES + each university transcript Kab 1 565 01-22-2022, 04:37 PM
Last Post: rachel83az