Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Amberton's M.A. - Prof. Development - just graduated
Big Grin 
I just checked Amberton’s Student Portal and I saw that they conferred my Master’s Degree in Prof. Development. Holla!

I highly recommend this M.A. if you just need a Master’s to check a box or to make yourself more marketable.

I’ve been trying to get a certain promotion at my government job for the last couple years. I seemed to always get beaten out by a guy that had either 1 more year of experience than me or went to a more recognized school for their B.A. So I had to come up with some scheme to make myself more competitive.

The job I was going for didn’t require a Master’s, but I knew that having one would definitely at least put me in the top 3.

Since I knew I was going to graduate at the end of this year, I recently started putting the M.A. on my resume. And whaddyaknow… Boom! Got some interviews and snagged a promo!

Besides this being a humblebrag post, I also just wanted to briefly remind everyone how Amberton works for anybody that’s not fully aware:
First you take four 3-credit VESi courses through Augustana University: https://www.virtualeduc.com/direct_accounts/index.php?uid=1

At $290/course, you get 12 credits for $1160.

Once you get an official transcript for those 4 courses, you apply to Amberton and submit your VESi courses for transfer.

After they approve them, you now only have to take 8 courses with Amberton. 2 of the courses are mandatory (Ethics and Research Methods) but they aren’t that hard. The other 6 courses that you have to take can be pretty much any courses you want.

What’s more is that you can choose which class and which professor fits best for you. If you’re not too keen on test-taking (like me), you can take only courses that are all just writing. Or if you like tests, you can find some that have tests with not as much writing assignments.

You can also decide whether you want to knock out all 8 courses in three 10-week semesters, or you can be like me and just take one course every semester for 2 years.

Courses are now $795 each. So 8 courses at $795 = $6360. Estimated textbook cost for each class is about $25 if you get them through half.com, cheaptextbooks, or find a good online rental site. So textbooks = $200.

Along with the $160 graduation filing fee, you’re looking at a cost of less than $8,000 for a Master’s from a non-profit, regionally accredited university. No thesis, no proctors, no GRE. Just maintain a 3.0 cumulative GPA and you’re good to go.

It still wasn’t easy; you have to become an expert on APA and grammar, you have to write book-sized papers, and you have to be pretty analytical for some of the courses. Even the open-book exams can be difficult because it won’t simply ask “What is a blah-blah-blah?”; it will instead present a scenario, and you will have to KNOW beforehand from studying what that blah could be. So it’s not an easy feat by any means, but it is doable and it is definitely worth it.

So if you just need a cheap Master’s, I highly recommend Amberton.
[-] The following 10 users Like kevinmane's post:
  • cokididwa, davewill, dfrecore, easyboyfilmsinc, jsd, Life Long Learning, MrPanda, sanantone, suzycupcake, Thorne

Messages In This Thread
Amberton's M.A. - Prof. Development - just graduated - by kevinmane - 11-27-2017, 11:08 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need Input on My Amberton University Master's/HR Certification Plan Claudia P 8 571 02-13-2024, 05:53 PM
Last Post: Claudia P
  MS in Enterprise Analytics from Amberton? buttercup5000 5 449 10-01-2023, 10:07 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Amberton klone 8 1,008 07-23-2023, 12:42 PM
  Question for Amberton University MAPD/Counseling students/grads Amberlinjeanne 3 683 06-21-2023, 11:17 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  New Amberton Grad Cert ss20ts 0 554 03-25-2023, 03:36 PM
Big Grin Where are my Amberton peeps? Have a question suzycupcake 7 1,120 10-30-2022, 08:55 PM
Last Post: suzycupcake
  New Amberton Grad Certificate ss20ts 0 611 09-21-2022, 11:23 AM
  Has anyone tried "The Center for Development of Security Excellence" thodeptrai 2 652 07-30-2022, 08:57 AM
Last Post: thodeptrai
  Amberton University ss20ts 13 2,074 06-28-2022, 04:46 PM
  ASU Global Leadership & Personal Development thodeptrai 15 2,661 05-21-2022, 01:04 PM
Last Post: origamishuttle