Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help finding online prerequisite courses
(12-06-2017, 07:54 AM)nilesthebrave Wrote: I'm looking to enter the Master's program in Data Science with University of Wisconsin.

I have a B.S. in Physics through them and am working currently as a chemist at a pharmaceutical company, and frankly, I hate it. So I'm looking to go in a different direction with my career.

I was told by the advisor there that I would need three courses in Stats, Programming and databases just to show I'm not blowing smoke up their asses with my claimed skills in those areas.

Due to the evil of pharma, I work a 12-hour rotating shift, meaning I cannot take classes in person. They have to be online and I've never done online before so I'm kind of at a loss as to what's considered 'decent' while still being affordable.

I've found several places to take an online Stats course but I'm having trouble finding a decent database course.

I think they need to come from a legit and accredited school so I don't think DeVry will count.

StraighterLine's C++ course was accepted as the prerequisite for the programming course. I need a stats course and database course. I've found several Stats courses but would prefer something along the lines of straighterline's course, though I was told that that course was too lightweight to be counted.

I'm fine taking an online stats course through my university if I have to, so really I need just some sort of online database course

Anyone in a similar situation have some answers? Are there some kind souls out there who can point me in the right direction?

Appreciate the help

EDIT: I mistakenly wrote I still need a programming course since I copied this off my reddit post where it was recommended I come here.
I do NOT need a programming course still. Just the database and stats

To keep life simple, you may want all 3 on 1 transcript - this saves time and money when you send them to the graduate admissions. Another thought, I'm sure University of Wisconsin offers these courses- that would be my initial suggestion (online of course) followed by any of the community colleges that transfer directly into University of Wisconsin (online of course) because they will ALREADY have been evaluated for transfer credit into undergrad programs. In other words, they *could* have been part of your physics degree and transferred in had you used them as electives or extras. Classes at most CCs start in about 10 days, but you could probably get registered asap. When you reach out, tell them you're applying as a "Special Status Student" which goes around all admissions application crap. You wouldn't be degree seeking (which is fine) and as long as their are openings, you should be able to secure permission to enroll immediately.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Need help finding online prerequisite courses - by cookderosa - 12-22-2017, 08:49 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Will online degrees become worthless because of AI? blablablox 11 555 6 minutes ago
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  ASU 100 Million Learners - All graduate courses now available jg_nuy 35 3,972 04-17-2024, 06:44 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 268 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Question How can I Study on my own pace and online like a european? justmemyself 6 391 03-25-2024, 09:14 PM
  Injury to tailbone leads to finding of... bjcheung77 0 148 03-22-2024, 01:59 AM
  Biochemistry online, no lab, and less than $500. GoodYellowDogs 11 10,360 03-20-2024, 04:16 PM
  The 100 Most Popular Accredited Online Colleges for 2024 LevelUP 2 327 03-20-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Colleges bring back ACT/SAT after finding test-optional policies hurt minorities LevelUP 1 197 03-16-2024, 11:17 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,757 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,769 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az