Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LinkedIN and other job fishing holes
This is part share, part question.

I have worked as a consultant outside of my primary career, and I've had at least one major career change. Now that I've completed my coursework, it's time to look again. Here are some of the things I do to look for work. Probably basic to all of you, but another thread inspired me to create this; maybe some of you could chime in with some tips / fishing holes?

- I pay attention and drive around. When I get home, I'll look the names I saw on the company signs up, and see if there is anything on their careers / jobs / employment page.

If there's not, but the jobs all sound decent and pay well, I'll set up a job alert that will ping me when they list new jobs. If they don't, I drag the padlock off of my firefox into a folder that peeks out above my browser. Once a week or so, I'll get in the browser and start popping shortcuts to see if there's anything I missed.

- I pay attention on local boards. Some places just don't advertise, but you'll catch people grousing about their job. Which makes me search the company out. Refer back to block one for further, lol

I use indeed.com a lot. But I also use the state job site (Which stinks), and clearancejobs, as well as usajobs.gov. I also look for state employment openings, county and city ones.

I have resumes that are tuned to the things I do. I have never had a general, boring resume. I make resumes and cover letters for others. 

I tell others this: A business card or a email to a manager is only enough to pique their interest and want to call you. A resume is enough to sort of flesh out your details, but leave them wanting more, and they can only get more from talking... to you!

If you give them everything they need up front, what reason do they have to call?

Before you start searching, MAKE CERTAIN you know where your birth certificate is. Where is your social security card? Do you have a driver's license? Is it expired? Men, do you have a draft card?

You may think this is pedantic, but I'm mentoring a buddy re-entering the wild after 30 years in the military. These are things that have popped up.

Question -

I've never had a linkedin account. Ever. But, I just built one because a couple places say that's where grownups do facebook-like stuff.  Now I have people telling me it's a waste of time and the jobs / job hunters on there are lame. What say you?
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

[-] The following 1 user Likes High_Order1's post:
  • cookderosa

Messages In This Thread
LinkedIN and other job fishing holes - by High_Order1 - 02-07-2018, 03:24 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Would you keep a part time job listed on your LinkedIn Vle045 3 787 04-26-2022, 11:23 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  DegreeForum LinkedIn Networking ashkir 16 1,952 05-20-2021, 03:34 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Can't Focus: Going Father Down the Rabbit Holes LadySearchDog 20 2,890 09-25-2020, 12:31 PM
Last Post: warriortaupou
  LinkedIn Anyone? ShotoJuku 28 4,521 02-11-2019, 07:59 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  LinkedIn StoicJ 21 3,494 07-08-2017, 11:05 AM
Last Post: SweetSecret
  Look up who you are by googling your school combinations and linkedin? soliloquy 6 1,289 05-28-2015, 08:22 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  LinkedIn koenigtv 10 2,045 02-24-2015, 10:16 PM
Last Post: nleamons
  LinkedIn privacy settings clep3705 3 1,264 12-27-2014, 11:10 AM
Last Post: Exfactor
  LinkedIn BMWGuinness 2 1,769 01-01-2008, 12:29 PM
Last Post: BMWGuinness