Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help!
Carlos,

One of the reasons I love the IT field so much is for the very reason that Gary pointed out - Degrees are important, certifications are important, but when I look at resumes, it's all about the experience. As someone just coming into the field, that may seem like a downer, but it's not that bad. The certifications you have show prospective employers that you've got the drive to study and learn new things, an extremely important attribute to have in IT.

I noticed you had your MCDST as well, which isn't a bad beginner cert to have. Are you looking to get into the software side along with what Gary is suggesting or the hardware side? Or does it even matter? The MCDST is primarily meant for Help Desk folks, which is a great way to break into the IT field. Even though many wouldn't consider it a prestigious position (though I know people who wouldn't trade the job for anything else), it's still IT experience. Even if your end goal is to be a DBA, it's all about getting some experience to put on your resume. Be on the lookout for anything dealing with IT. There's alot of crossdecking that goes on, and once you get into an organization you stand a much better chance of moving into a desired position than someone off the street.

I don't know your flexibility to move to different locations, but get online and check out Dice.com - Job search for Technology Professionals. (It's Monster.com for IT.) When I left the Corps, it was through Dice that I found my first job. Are you prior military by chance? If so, there are other options out there as well.

I've been in the field for about 10 years, and started as a Help Desk operator answering phones, then moved to a Field Tech, then moved to Sys Admin work, and then into management. It's a crazy field, but an exciting one full of opportunity. All you need is to get a foot in the door and the whole field opens up for you. Don't give up!
[SIZE="2"]
-Justin
PMP, CISSP, A+, Sec+, MCDST, ITIL
Total Credits Earned: 162

www.Free-Clep-Prep.com - (with Forum Admin's permission)

[/SIZE]

Messages In This Thread
Help! - by carlosamador2006 - 01-04-2008, 11:44 AM
Help! - by gcalvin - 01-04-2008, 12:55 PM
Help! - by carlosamador2006 - 01-04-2008, 01:40 PM
Help! - by BMWGuinness - 01-05-2008, 06:47 PM
Help! - by Chebasaz - 01-11-2008, 07:42 PM
Help! - by ctumbleweed - 01-17-2008, 02:16 PM