Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Union Members: Free Associate's Degree
I have finished by first 8-week term at EGCC through the free college program, so thought I'd post about it here.

I took Earth Science (4 credits), Succeeding in College (1 credit), and Statistics (3 credits).

Earth Science was really fun. There were no lectures, but the professor (Kuzma) was very responsive to questions and posted powerpoint slides for each unit that were helpful in studying. Some of the topics had videos to watch, others were heavy on readings. We had some virtual labs—not every week, but maybe about half of the units. The course was much more writing intensive than I would have expected in an intro science course. It was a semester in 8 weeks, two units per week, and some units had two short essays (250 words) and a longer one (500 words), which meant 5 papers some weeks. Plus there were one or two discussion questions to answer on the online class board. I made a study buddy in the class, which probably made the experience more enjoyable.

Statistics had very little interaction. No lectures or slides from the professor, just the textbook readings and some YouTube videos that gave walkthroughs on how to solve certain problems using Excel spreadsheets. These were nuts-and-bolts rather than focused on explaining concepts, so when I didn't understand the concepts from the readings, I turned to Khan Academy tutorials and that helped. The professor was responsive to emails, and EGCC has an online tutoring service I used a couple times.

Succeeding in College was like it says on the tin. Some of the assignments were annoying since I've already been in college, but the course also offered a lot of practical information like how to access the EGCC online library, so I would recommend taking it in your first term. It will help you with your other classes—without Succeeding in College, I might not have known how to access the tutoring services that I ended up needing in Statistics, for example.

EGCC doesn't give you any way to pick your professor, but from what I understand, the syllabus and course materials for any give course are almost identical regardless of the professor.

I am in the Associate of Arts degree plan, but some unions will pay for an Associate of Independent Studies degree, where you can earn credit for work and non-traditional educational experiences. To qualify for this, you need to do a special application after you've been accepted into EGCC, and you cannot have previously earned any type of college degree (associates, bachelors, etc). The AIS is geared toward people who need to get a college degree to keep their job or qualify for promotions/raises.

If you are doing the Free College program to earn your AA and transfer to a 4-year college, be aware that EGCC does not offer lab credit for any of its online science courses. Even with the 4-credit courses, all credits are counted as lecture, NOT 3 lecture/1 lab. So you may need to take a lab course after you transfer or try another option for economically priced lab courses, like NMJC or study.com.

This next semester I'll be taking Evolutionary Biology and Pathophysiology. I haven't seen the syllabuses yet, but I'm crossing my fingers that they will be fun.
[-] The following 2 users Like wow's post:
  • eriehiker, TwinMom

Messages In This Thread
Union Members: Free Associate's Degree - by acamp - 09-23-2018, 02:18 PM
Union Members: Free Associate's Degree - by acamp - 09-23-2018, 07:54 PM
Union Members: Free Associate's Degree - by acamp - 09-27-2018, 09:02 PM
Union Members: Free Associate's Degree - by acamp - 09-29-2018, 06:40 PM
RE: Union Members: Free Associate's Degree - by wow - 01-09-2020, 07:11 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Credit sufficiency for Pierpoint BOG Degree w/ AoE in IS DEPY 6 399 03-17-2024, 11:55 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Information Sophia Courses to Avoid with the Pierpont BOG Degree Ares 24 1,470 02-27-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Confirm degree completed Carnation 0 440 01-26-2024, 03:18 PM
Last Post: Carnation
  Degree Approval Timeline for BOG (December Graduation) txc1500 10 1,062 12-13-2023, 12:02 PM
Last Post: txc1500
  Pierpont --- Associate degree question midnite123 17 1,394 11-28-2023, 01:54 PM
  Pierpont to Charge $130 Fee for BOG Degree MissRN 35 3,318 11-08-2023, 02:26 PM
Last Post: NapoleonInRags
  How long does a Degree Audit typically take? 00u00u00 12 952 10-24-2023, 12:48 PM
  Pierpont degree - Early Childhood basilia 7 456 10-19-2023, 10:48 AM
  Pierpont Degree No Emphasis? mohelena02 4 538 10-18-2023, 08:22 PM
  How do I start getting this degree? LouisDG89 6 675 09-16-2023, 08:07 PM
Last Post: DolceDolce