Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
T.M. Landry Prep School Engaged in Abuse and Fraud
<<It makes a difference when you're paying over $6,000 for your kids to teach themselves. They can do that at home. Where does that $6,000 go? To pay for electricity?

Don't homeschooling parents always complain about how school districts teach to the test? If the students didn't take the prerequisite courses that they need to do well in college-level courses, then it doesn't matter how high they scored on the ACT. The ACT doesn't even cover calculus, which is probably why one of their STEM majors is failing in college. The ACT also only includes 40 questions on basic science.>>

Well, to be clear, I'm not disagreeing with the notion that children should be educated. I differ slightly in my opinion as a mother (which is not to say I think the world should operate as I believe) but my opinion is that it is the parent's privilege and obligation to assure their child is educated - but I don't think parents have to "do" the teaching, they can hire / delegate that to someone (public school, private school, tutors, etc.) and I also do not share the opinion that certain subjects must match an arbitrary grade number or be taught at a certain time (thus "on grade level" in my opinion is a garbage assumption). So... all that being said, I am never ok with parents blaming a poor education on the deliverer of that education - step in, step up, and act.

Parents were paying $6,000 because they believed the promise of the school to get their kids into college. It doesn't matter if it was $6/yr or $60,000/yr (and there are many prep schools residential and day schools that cost in that range) Unfortunately, that is the goal of most parents. I've said it over and over and over - the goal should not be getting our kids IN to college, it should be on getting them OUT, which is no small task for anyone - no matter where they went to college. Even the public school system (which by default has become the "measure" by which success is evaluated) fails to produce a product (student) that will both get IN and then get OUT of college better than half the time. The secret sauce, as they say, is something else. So, that a few kids are not successful in college isn't really enough for me to say the school is failing (though it may be, but that isn't really a solid point since that happens in many schools.)

I won't speak for homeschooling parents, but as one, I do think teaching to the test is a poor use of childhood. Testing and learning are different things, and in my home, we do both- they test for credentials and state requirements, but learning is separate and apart. If you're applying to a college that places a lot of weight on an ACT or SAT score, then yes, you need to be able to reach that benchmark. That's never been a goal in my home with my kids- so it's not something we give any attention to. That said, I'm not an idiot- my kids are white middle class with parents that can provide tuition and resources that the kids at Landry don't all have. It's not the same demographic to apply my approach to a school like that. If I were running that school, it would take me a good number of years to readjust and relearn how to pull success out of those kids and what kinds of things THEY needed to succeed. I'm only an expert at raising MY kids.

Still, I find this kind of case study very interesting, and I do hope these kids don't end up with too big a mess.

Messages In This Thread
RE: T.M. Landry Prep School Engaged in Abuse and Fraud - by cookderosa - 12-09-2018, 12:49 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nicaragua seizes all assets from INCAE Business School elcastor21 0 306 09-26-2023, 04:55 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Found: $1,500 (TOTAL) At-own-pace Law School dcan 48 9,313 08-28-2023, 10:34 PM
Last Post: resistk
Question Poll: Just not sure what to major in for grad school and which direction to go! Randyb100 21 1,589 05-26-2023, 03:26 AM
Last Post: Randyb100
  Can I get a High School Diploma after getting my GED and Associates? IReallyNeedADegree 24 2,767 02-06-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  School Psychologists?? Vle045 3 922 01-21-2022, 03:22 AM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
  U of Michigan removes School President bjcheung77 0 574 01-15-2022, 09:51 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Fraud Claims and Dumb Dolphins - Mass Layoff! bjcheung77 11 1,423 12-11-2021, 06:08 AM
Last Post: Vonne
  Worst School Name Alpha 13 2,128 10-04-2021, 12:39 PM
Last Post: Marcus Aurelius
  Should taxpayers fund any and every choice in school and/or major? sanantone 14 1,692 08-19-2021, 01:19 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Back 2 School - Buy Mac/iPad - get AirPods + 20% off AppleCare bjcheung77 0 683 06-23-2021, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77