Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
11-yr-old’s Ultimate Goal: phd Theoretical Mathematics
Help!! My preteen son’s goal is a phd in theoretical mathematics. He wants to also be a college math professor. I know nothing about that career plan, but my guess is he needs to get an undergrad degree at school that ISN'T the big three (there went our planning for a math degree from TESU-which he likely could have accomplushed by 19!) I have struggled to find even anyone with a phd in any math, let alone theoretical math, in which to pick his or her brain. My son currently wants to get as much college credit under my roof as possible... he has passed two CLEPs already, can take his third within a few weeks, then work on a 4-5th over the summer. HOWEVER, if he NEEDS to get his undrgrad from a more prestigious uni, are we up a creek without a paddle? Dualcredit is exoensive locally, and the online schools where is is less expensive don't even have the same courses needed for our local four year university (with a good math program in case he wants to go there). I feel super stuck. My son is motivated, homeschooled, and gifted. He is taking Pre Cal at home and will be looking at dual credit or AP science this year too. He does not want to graduate high school more than a year early currently. He attends a classical co-op that he loves and which is good for him on too of other higher level work at home. We are low income and cannot afford lots of dual crefit even if they offered the same courses he needs. I feel really stuck. Is there anyone who can point me in the right direction for a kid like this? Does it MATTER where he gets his undergrad, first off?! Will he NOT be able to-get into a good masters or phd program for math if he graduates for TESU or even a state school?
Me: Earned BSLA at Excelsior November 2021!

My son Tor (15 yrs): 
CLEPS passed: US Hist 1, A&I Lit, College Composition, Intro to Sociology, US Hist 2, Western Civ 1
College Courses taken: Astronomy, Intro to Programming, Latin 1,  Federal GOVT
ACE passed via Sophia: Human Biology, College Algebra, Intro to Statistics, Religion, Visual Communications, Intro to Relational Databases, Intro to Business, 
Currently Working on: Calc 1, TX GOVT
[-] The following 2 users Like TorsMama's post:
  • peacel, TacticalTechie

Messages In This Thread
11-yr-old’s Ultimate Goal: phd Theoretical Mathematics - by TorsMama - 03-07-2019, 11:12 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best master's degree to get if my ultimate goal is Ed.D manley0702 7 3,109 03-24-2020, 09:44 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77