Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
11-yr-old’s Ultimate Goal: phd Theoretical Mathematics
I still think that you're robbing Peter to pay Paul. If you can spend his high school years doing whatever you want to do, with some free CLEP thrown in to get him past the basic stuff, he may still graduate from college early, but have it all paid for. I would not spend a dime on TESU/COSC, which will cost you thousands, when you have better opportunities coming up. If he wants a "college experience" and it sounds like he does from what you just said, then looking at online schools is kind of negating what you just said. He WANTS to wait until he's 17/18 to graduate, he WANTS to go on campus to do his courses.

You also have to consider that he has a much better chance of getting the things he needs to move towards a PhD if he's doing an on-campus program. He has a better chance of getting teacher recommendations, a better chance of getting internships, and a better chance of getting scholarships by being there with teachers that will notice his abilities and try to help him advance than any online program you could find.

My BFF's daughter is a very good student (4.5 in HS, 4.0 in college) and was able to get all kinds of work by being on campus because she was THERE: she got offered 4 positions by 3 teachers at the end of her freshman year, worked in the chemistry lab as a tutor for 1 year, as a lead her 2nd year, and running it her 3rd/4th years (she's a 4th year junior for personal reasons). She was able to get recommended for special programs, and spent 2 summers doing research as a paid intern in another state. Now her last 2 years are paid for because she won a very prestigious scholarship, and has 2 more years of paid internships coming. She's been offered all sorts of other opportunities by her teachers, been given tons of recommendations by them, and is probably going to get a scholarship to get her master's degree because of all of this.

Now, I'm not saying that every student will get this - but your son certainly won't get these types of opportunities by trying to test out of a degree rather than being on campus and surrounded by people who can help him attain his goals.

So yes, you should do college-level work with him. Yes, you should try to CLEP out of as much as possible, knowing what will work at the school of choice. But that's as far as you should go with this. It's what I would do if my child had what yours does.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • sanantone

Messages In This Thread
RE: 11-yr-old’s Ultimate Goal: phd Theoretical Mathematics - by dfrecore - 03-11-2019, 06:18 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best master's degree to get if my ultimate goal is Ed.D manley0702 7 3,180 03-24-2020, 09:44 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77