Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU won't tell me what falls under "applied science and technology disciplines"?
(03-13-2019, 08:49 PM)hallk33 Wrote:
(03-13-2019, 06:47 PM)shadowgem Wrote: @hallk33 - These were the 11 (Groups A-K) options given to my husband for his BS Technical Studies degree program started in August 2018. 

The AOS has these requirements:

Part 1
Technical Studies 21 SH: Group A-K (focused) - Choose from 1 Discipline from below
A: Health Studies
B: Electrical
C: Aviation
D: Architect/Design
E: Computer 
F: Engineering
G: Environmental
H: Fire Science
I: Nuclear
J: Automotive
K: Lab Animal Science
*A total of 18 Area of Study credits must be UL. (6 of these credits are satisfied with the Technical Core)

Part 2
Technical Studies 18 SH (Topics include ANY disciple in Applied Science and Technology)
*A total of 18 Area of Study credits must be UL. (6 of these credits are satisfied with the Technical Core)

Part 3
TECHNICAL CORE REQUIREMENTS
A: Current Trends (Capstone Course) UL
B: Project Management (required course) UL

For Part 1 of the AOS, it had to be focused in one of those concentrations. He chose Computer Science (Group E) since he had all the required courses to easily meet that option as his focused area in the AOS, but it was NOT required. The only requirement for the first 21 SH is that they are in only ONE discipline. For Part 2, he has courses in several disciplines. Part 3 is simply one UL course in Project Management and the BSTS Capstone course and are the only required courses in the actual AOS. There are also several required courses in the General Education portion of this degree to consider.

I know TESU has been making many changes recently so maybe this degree has changed since he started it. Is it possible you or advising picked a focused area for you based on what you were closest to finishing, and then was letting you know the course options for you to complete that particularly subcategory of the focused area of the AOS were?

**One more quick thought. It also occurred to me that many advisers my husband has corresponded with informed him they could not answer his questions. As a result he was asked to resend tickets several times until he lands with an Adviser that actually deals with this degree program. Why this doesn't automatically happen when you put the degree you are working on in the ticket, I am not sure. But it occurred a few times while he was working on finishing it. So there is also the chance that whoever you spoke with gave you more of a generalized/uninformed answer rather than directing you to the right dept in advising. This seems more likely given that the BS Tech Studies degree is not an IT/CS degree, but rather a diversified applied science degree.

Yeah in general I found the hotline people aren't very helpful and the advisors to be hit or miss. I figured because they emailed a response that corresponded with several of the answers that it would be accurate. 

I was wanting to pursue the engineering area since I have CC credits in that area but then I wasn't allowed to pick that as my AOS and those classes weren't applied in my degree plan. It is still listed as an active degree for me but I have kinda put that aside while waiting on answers for the Bachelor to Masters program and have been working on BSBA in Operations Management.

That's interesting. Do you have 21 credits from your CC that transferred in as engineering courses at TESU? They may require very specific engineering courses to fit this subcategory. Also CC college credits would be LL credits so perhaps that may be the issue, but I do not think the focused area is the only place you can bring in the required UL credits. It may be possible that you could apply 21 LL engineering credits to the focused area section of the AOS, then you would still need 4 UL (12 credits) throughout the rest of the AOS, in addition to the two required UL level courses (Project Management/Capstone). In that case if you do not have any UL engineering credits, CS courses would be possibly the cheapest/fastest route to filling in the AOS 18 elective credit area if you decided to pursue this degree. If you find you are still interested in pursuing this degree, it may be worth clarifying why Engineering is not an option for you, or if you were misinformed. With advising, in my experience misinformation is entirely possible.

Messages In This Thread
RE: TESU won't tell me what falls under "applied science and technology disciplines"? - by shadowgem - 03-13-2019, 09:47 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 695 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,976 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  ASNSM in Computer Science and TEEX Cybersecurity? Shorn27 2 359 03-18-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 258 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Has someone transferred Study.com science corses with labs and correctly transfered etwelding2019 1 205 03-03-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 267 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,157 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 391 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP