Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One of the Worst Education Articles I've Read
(04-08-2019, 02:05 PM)ChilliDawg Wrote:
(04-08-2019, 01:09 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(04-08-2019, 12:28 PM)ChilliDawg Wrote: Looks like exactly what it is.  A biased opinion piece by an under-informed writer.

I was taken aback by this comment, in particular..."With more people in the world and more competition than ever, you have to go to college to get a good job. "

I wonder if the author researched the $1.5 trillion in student loan debt, poor graduation rates, and the millions of unfilled trade skill jobs that do not require a degree?

It did make for amusing reading and an exercise in proofreading.

You should read my thread on how for-profit and graduate schools are responsible for this increase in debt. The student loan debt crisis is mostly sensationalism. The median debt, which is a more accurate reflection of reality than average, is only $17k for undergraduate students. Even if you look at the average, which will be skewed by outliers, it's only $30k. People spend that much on a new car. If we cut out all attendees of for-profit colleges, there would be far fewer people defaulting on loans.
While doing my Capstone research on the Student Loan debacle, I did come across the numbers on for-profit institutions and their high default rates.  Not surprised.  I am sitting next to a guy here at work, that went with a major for-profit school, and he ended up buried in debt, and reluctant to list them on his resume'.  They certainly did not lift him from the ashes, you might say.

While I also discovered that tuition at non-profit schools is not as big of a contributor that many think it is, unfortunately, kids are borrowing their housing expenses, food, and in some cases child care.  Many for-profits will increase the tuition rate, and refund the student the difference for live on expense. In many cases, their parents are borrowing a similar amount, seperately to help subsidize them.  My in-laws are retired and trying to pay back student loans that they took out for three of their daughters.  Not including the school related expenses that they are packing on the high interest credit card.

$1.5 Trillion spread amongst 44 million students, is fairly crazy, in my opinion.  Student Loan debt totals are higher than all revolving debt totals, including ALL credit cards in the United States.  Also, student loan debt totals more than every outstanding car loan in the U.S.  SOURCE: Federal Reserve Bank

The big glaring question with student loan debt and repayment is always ROI.  Return on Investment. 

I do not necessarily PREFER a BALS, and will immediately move on to finish up a second one in a different major, but at least it checks a box for my government employer, for now.

(04-08-2019, 01:37 PM)quigongene Wrote:
(04-08-2019, 12:28 PM)ChilliDawg Wrote: I was taken aback by this comment, in particular..."With more people in the world and more competition than ever, you have to go to college to get a good job. "

Interesting...I was working in IT for almost 25 years before I got a bachelors.

I think that the both of us have talked about this before.  We have similar parallels in our career.  I have been able to work continuously in the Information Technology field since 1988 with nothing other than industry certifications.  MCSE, Network+, etc.

I started pursuing credits back in 2007, only because of an employer with tuition reimbursement.  Now, as I am starting to age (late 40's), I am getting nervous about not having a 4-year degree.  Also, I would like to pursue the CISSP and head into a CSO position.  Also, I am working for the government, and our executives are starting to require a minimum of 4-year to maintain a salaried position in I.T., and they want Grad-level to move into management.  Not surprising coming from a bunch of J.D.'s (judges).
But, the $1.5 trillion in debt is not spread evenly. Graduate school attendees hold a disproportionate amount of that debt and so do for-profit school attendees. There are more people going to graduate and professional school, and that's helping to drive up aggregate debt. It's actually sort of rare for an undergraduate student to have more than $50k in debt.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Messages In This Thread
RE: One of the Worst Education Articles I've Read - by sanantone - 04-08-2019, 02:34 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UK vs US, Education Compared bjcheung77 1 151 03-18-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  Country Preview: Poland - Inexpensive European Education bjcheung77 11 1,907 01-29-2024, 10:46 AM
Last Post: Tomas
  15 Worst Bachelors - Student Loan Dept bjcheung77 9 823 12-31-2023, 02:45 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  US Education Department unveils stricter college oversight rules bjcheung77 0 340 11-01-2023, 02:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Education Is Now America’s Great Divide LevelUP 2 342 10-06-2023, 02:50 PM
  Continuing Education stipend ideas impasta 5 462 09-21-2023, 12:52 PM
Last Post: impasta
  Perlego: Startup for "all you can read" textbooks bjcheung77 7 1,033 09-08-2023, 04:03 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Business Insider/MSN - College, Grad, Money Articles bjcheung77 4 439 08-17-2023, 11:07 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Panorama Education Acquires Mesa Cloud... bjcheung77 0 410 07-01-2023, 01:45 AM
  StraighterLine acquires Childcare Education Institute bjcheung77 2 811 05-16-2023, 11:05 AM
Last Post: glammie83