Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
need help with picking Big 3 school and degree planning
Hi all,

I am relatively new to the board and I am trying to assist my wife with gathering information and encouraging her to go back to school. She has about 45 LL credits from a local state university and 40-45 credits from a NA university.  I did post this same question on the EC, COSC, and TESU board, but, thought it might be more relevant to post it here on this section.

She is looking at getting either a Bachelor's in Liberal Arts or a Bachelor's degree in Business. I think she would be leaning towards the Liberal Arts BA/BS because it would be quickest.

Here are some other important factors:

-She is intimidated and not sure if she wants to go back and get her Bachelor's degree.  She has been out of college for 20 years and was not a particularly good student making good grades.  I think at 46, she is wondering if she really needs a degree as she works a customer service job making between $10-15 hr. I make a good salary as a self-employed ERP Training consultant. She was a stay at home mom for about 10 years.  I am really trying to encourage her to go.  I think it is like running a marathon, it is good to push yourself and would give her confidence and set a great example for our High School Senior.

-We are self funding unless she can get a scholarship.  With a combined current six figure student loan debt (mostly mine) load between she and I (and no Bachelor's to show for it for her), we are absolutely looking at self-funding - no student loans. I won't even get started on the ridiculous debt slavery and out of control student loan debt in this country  We also have a son entering college next Fall and are determined to have low student loan debt for him. She doesn't have tuition reimbursement nor do we have VA funding.  Therefore, we are very cost sensitive.

-I would rate the importance of the criteria for her as "Fast, Cheap, Easy Credit" in the following order: 1) Cheap, 2) Fast, 3) Easy Credit.

-We are leaning towards Excelsior College as they are giving her the most credits at 57 credits.  It looks like they are the only Big 3 school to accept Nationally Accredited Credit. They also seem to be the cheapest of the 3 with her credits at about $4k, but, COSC comes close behind at around $4500. Even with her credits, it seems like TESU is the most expensive at $6-7k.  This does not mean she would not look at other schools. She also looked at WGU, but, she only got 108 out of 120 credits so I think that is less likely of an option.

As I am new poster, I am posting the credits she has earned from her under graduate institutions in the rest of this email.  Then I am posting the credit evaluation results from each school: EC, TESU, COSC, and WGU.  I am also listing what I can see as the potential cost rough out the door price. Additionally, I am attaching a spreadsheet with a degree plan that has a template for a degree plan for each university.  I would greatly appreciate any help on a degree plan, opinions on best options, and confirmations of current estimates on tuition.  I feel like getting her and my son a potential degree plan is like getting a second master's degree for me.

Kent State University (D grade or better that transfers. EC doesn't take D grades. COSC/TESU does, however, EC takes NA credits)

College Orientation - 1 cr
English Composition 1 - 3 cr.
English Composition 2 - 3 cr.
Art of the Theater - 3 cr.
Business Writing - 2 cr. 
General Psychology -3 cr. 
Introduction to Sociology - 3 cr.
Fundamentals of Chemistry - 3 cr
7 Ideas that Shook the Universe (Physics) - 3 cr
Introduction to College Math - 3 cr (not sure if this is considered "College" level like standard College Algebra course) 3 cr
Auditory Comprehension Strategies, 2 cr
Dance Exercise, 1 cr
Tennis, 1 cr
Principles of Macroeconomics, 3 cr
Great Books 2, 3 cr
Intro to Financial Accounting, 3 cr
Human Sexuality, 3 cr
Total: 43 hours

Virginia Marti College of Art and Design (2 year career art school in Cleveland area)

History of Art 1 - 3 qtr hr
History of Art 2 - 3 qtr hr
Basic Color Theory - 3 qtr hr
Graphics in Interior Design - 3 qtr hr
Salesmanship - 3 qtr hr
Public Relations - 3 qtr hr
Graphic Tech 1 Drafting - 3 qtr hr
Design Fundamentals - 2 qtr hr
 Graphic Tech 1 Drafting - 3 qtr hr
Design Fundamentals - 2 qtr hr
Graphics in Interior Design - 2 qtr hr
Intro to Interior Design - 3 qtr hr
Graphic Tech 2 Draft - 3 qtr hr
Interior Design 1 - 3 qtr hr
Space Planning 2 Commercial - 3 qtr hr
Rendering Tech 1 - 3 qtr hr
Rendering Tech 2 - 3 qtr hr
Computer Aided Design (CAD) 1 - 2 qtr hr
Total = 45 hours

Excelsior took the quarter hours = 1.33 semester hours.

Thanks,

EducationSeeker

Attached Files
.xlsx   Sample Degree Plan 6-25-19.xlsx (Size: 24.81 KB / Downloads: 2)

Messages In This Thread
need help with picking Big 3 school and degree planning - by EducationSeeker - 06-26-2019, 11:19 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,613 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,456 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 482 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 436 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 251 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 771 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,179 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 199 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,702 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74
  Hypnotherapy + $30 course or $12,000 degree = Licensed "Medical" Profession nykorn 6 952 01-06-2024, 05:15 PM
Last Post: CenterSquarEd